Traditional vs. Modern playing

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Which clip do you prefer?

The Ennis clip.
43%
The McSherry clip.
25%
I'll take a good dose of both, thankyou.
32%

Total votes: 60

djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

BzzzzT wrote:I don't see the point of casting votes, except to put forward some implied disapproval or prove some subjective point that is better left to conversation.
The point is to converse. There seems to be a continuing attempt by some here to force things so that anything committed to writing on this forum must be academically verifiable and ready to be set in stone. There is no leeway allowed by some for a simple conversation to go back and forth. The poll is to see how many on this forum prefer the technical brilliance of McSherry versus the soulful experience of Ennis. Denying people the opportunity to express differring opinions is no different than forcing one's own opinions down everyone elses' throats. There has already been far too much of that sort of behaviour in the history of this board IMHO.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
ChaplainBlake
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

Wasn't the question "Which clip do you like best?," not "Which piper do you think was better?" (or more influential). I like the McSherry clip because the sound is better, the video is better, and you get a better look at how the tune is played throughout.

As a side note: I am neither senior here, nor an expert by any estimations, but I have noticed that Ennis is invoked rather than mentioned...he is the proverbial 400lb gorilla of the piping world. I know several who love to bat his name about in "greatest piper" debates who either have not heard him play at all, or do not listen to his stuff with any regularity (I am not accusing anyone on this board of that offense, just a couple of RL buddies). It is akin to mentioning Harley Davidson in motorcycle arguments, Superman in hero arguments, or Darth Vader in Jedi arguments. Sure, the qualities of all three examples may be questioned, but everyone knows what or who they are. It took my appreciating this beast of an instrument in my listening before I could enjoy Ennis. To me, McNamara and Browne made much better first impressions...
It makes me sad that we couldn't have Ennis in his prime with the recording equipment we have today.
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Ennis vs. McSherry

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

gallant_murray wrote:Which clip gives you the most tingles?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF3fW4Nox9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0KQTv8qvkE
The Ennis recording is unadulterated piping

The McSherry recording is way over produced (and frankly, I am really tired of both this video and the tune... maybe it's about time to start listening to Stairway to Heaven again...)

I like both piper's playing, but if I had a choice between the two recordings that I could take with me to a deserted island, Seamus Ennis wins it hands down.
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: The McSherry recording is way over produced
Isn't it live?
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

I think this is one example the vacuous diatribe that Robbie Hannan was refering to in one of his articles. Just listen to them both and learn from them both.

You'e like a bunch of school boys argueing over whose dad can bash everybody else's. :D
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
rgouette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

canpiper wrote:
Isn't it live?
I think the gentleman is referring to the fact that it is an Uilleann pipe with delay(etc) added for effect.

Am I not correct?
O dear, yet another potential sub-thread regarding ITM vs synth backing....

Rich
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

rgouette wrote:
canpiper wrote:
Isn't it live?
I think the gentleman is referring to the fact that it is an Uilleann pipe with delay(etc) added for effect.

Am I not correct?

Rich
Ah. I see.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

rgouette wrote:
canpiper wrote:
Isn't it live?

Rich
Leave poor aul Cynth outa this she has done nothing wrang :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

rgouette wrote:
canpiper wrote:
Isn't it live?

Am I not correct?

Rich
No, not really. But with all that is added to the amplification of the sound, something (invariably) is lost. I really prefer unaided solo piping, not that I poo poo accompaniment, but solo piping allows me the full impact of a set of pipes and the piper.

Amplification gimmicks, while neat and funky, don't do it for me. Some like them however, and that is fine. Again, personal choice.
Darran

Post by Darran »

ausdag wrote: You'e like a bunch of school boys argueing over whose dad can bash everybody else's. :D
exactly.

it also kinda reminds me of the oul boys round here "ah jaysus the kerry team of 197x would bayt the sh*t outta any of todays boyos" when todays superfit almost pro footballers would hand them their arses. That being said, just like football, two different playstyles with lots to learn from both :P
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

Darran wrote:
ausdag wrote: You'e like a bunch of school boys argueing over whose dad can bash everybody else's. :D
exactly.

it also kinda reminds me of the oul boys round here "ah jaysus the kerry team of 197x would bayt the sh*t outta any of todays boyos" when todays superfit almost pro footballers would hand them their arses. That being said, just like football, two different playstyles with lots to learn from both :P
Exactly, or to a young person who's just discovering a rock-and-roll band with great longevity (e.g., "The Rolling Stones"), i.e., "Man that new stuff is crap, you should hear their old stuff." :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Beau Comiseau wrote:
Darran wrote:
exactly.

Exactly, or to a young person who's just discovering a rock-and-roll band with great longevity (e.g., "The Rolling Stones"), i.e., "Man that new stuff is crap, you should hear their old stuff." :lol:
:lol: It is the truth.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Uilliam wrote:
rgouette wrote:
canpiper wrote: Isn't it live?

Rich
Leave poor aul Cynth outa this she has done nothing wrang :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
:lol: I've been trying very hard to stay out of trouble! But now I'll be in for it if I don't say something to the point.

So.....I had listened to both clips before and I listened to them again many times. I closed my eyes so I would not be mesmerized and swayed in my opinion by simply watching Seamus Ennis which alone gives me tingles. I have some recordings of tunes played by Seamus Ennis that were not made under very good circumstances and I do hear things I don't understand in those recordings, but this clip seemed awfully good to me so I'm not understanding some of the comments about it, particularly in the other thread, which makes me worried about my hearing almost. Anyway, the tingles come from the Ennis clip. No disrespect to John McSherry who did not ask and I'm sure would not ask to be placed in such a position.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

BzzzzT wrote:I can't help but think this thread is pejorative in nature given the recent thread. Both are excellent pipers. I don't see the point of casting votes, except to put forward some implied disapproval or prove some subjective point that is better left to conversation.
I'm sorry that you misunderstood me. I'm not a piper so I don't frequent the piping board. I haven't read 'the recent thread' you speak of. I was just interested in what the general opinion was regarding modern piping vs. traditional piping. The point was to share opinions. Both are indeed excellent pipers, just like Planxty and East Wind were both great groups with very different styles. The poll isn't about who is the better piper, but which style you (and everyone else) prefer. If that is offensive, I apologize.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
billh

Post by billh »

Arrrgh! Thread renaming again! Where will it end? :boggle: