Copelands overpriced?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

For some items the reverse might be true. If they doubled their price demand might go up, as they become more exclusive. For those at the very top end of the price curve, moving up is often the smarter move, instead of than moving down. It is a tougher decision for those in the middle range in price.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've owned five Copelands.

Two brass and one nickel soprano high D's. These were all great, and the nickel was aboslutely sublime. I sold all of them for monetary purposes...one when I was out of work, one to help fund moving to Dallas for new work, one to help fund a lathe for my budding whistle making endeavor.

I've owned two brass low D's (and had a silver one on order when I lost my job in 2000). These were also both great. Different chracteristics in terms of breath, and reediness, but both unmistakably Copeland.

I think they've all been worth the money and if this were a perfect world (and if they didn't retain such retail value) I would have kept them all :)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
plunkett5

Post by plunkett5 »

I play mandolin and guitar seriously, and to approach a the fretted string instrument at the level that Copelands hold in the whistle world can involve more than 10 times the price. Whistle players are very lucky to be able to even consider getting the top of the line for under $400. That will buy an entry level guitar or mandolin. I know Mike and have played music with him. He is not only a first class whistle and flute maker but a great guy. I'm not a wealthy man, but if I had the talent on the whistle to make it worthwhile, I'd have a Copeland tomorrow.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Copelands overpriced?

Post by Loren »

The Whistle Collector wrote:i have been thinking for a long time, and i mean long, to get a Copeland. i am a wood guy, but i am also a collector. Copelands are just so expensive though, and so are the low whistles. i know the sound is great, and they are beautiful, but i bet if he lowered his prices 50$ he could probably double his orders. Copeland is the brand that i am going to buy a used one.
Try making one. Then get back to us.

Better yet, when you can finally make a whistle that's just as good as a Copeland, and made just as well, then get back to us and tell us what you think they are worth.

Okay, well, you won't need to buy one at that point, however at that point you'll have spent about $10,000., and a number of years, learning that Copeland probably doesn't charge enough........

Loren
Denny

Post by Denny »

Loren...I'd bet that you don't get invited to parties much... :wink:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I have absolutely no qualms about paying $500 for a guitar.
I balk at paying more than $150 for a whistle, anymore. It's
cheaper (and often more satisfying) just to get better on the
instrument you already have. When you're an expert whistler,
you may find you don't need that expensive whistle after all.

Collecting is a different matter, though. I can't say that I
understand collecting instruments for the sake of collecting,
but to each his own...
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Denny wrote:Loren...I'd bet that you don't get invited to parties much... :wink:

You'd be surprised: Some folks actually enjoy having a person around who can be counted on for an honest answer or opinion.

In fact, I was at the NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) Boston Alumni party last night, and it was refreshing, because most of the room was filled with others who say it as they see it, agree or disagree.

Loren
jmiller

Post by jmiller »

The" good ones" are. The trouble is that it is quite possible to get a not so good one. Whatever you do, just don't order directly from Copeland Woodwinds. If you get one that is a bit "off" they won't issue a refund and will find every way possible to delay any sort of exchange. They just don't give a #!^^ once they have your money. It's best to order from a merchant with a no hassle exchange policy or buy secondhand from someone you trust.
Last edited by jmiller on Tue May 08, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Loren wrote:
Denny wrote:Loren...I'd bet that you don't get invited to parties much... :wink:

You'd be surprised:
Naw...I'd be teasin' ya!
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Denny wrote:
Loren wrote:

You'd be surprised:
Naw...I'd be teasin' ya!
LOL
Short bio: 1952-
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I got mine years ago when they were $195 (nyeah nyeah!). All these years later, I don't miss the money, but I still have the whistle.

A bargain is only a bargain if it's what you want. Otherwise, get what you want because having the money satisfies nothing. If you can't afford it, wait. Or maybe consider the money you spend on things you could happily live without.

Have I been sage enough for you?
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

my aunt is form Boston, i am kind of used to being told the truth in a blunt rude way. i find myself doing too :oops: it is just a way of the northeast.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Denny

Post by Denny »

The Whistle Collector wrote:
my aunt is form Boston, i am kind of used to being told the truth in a blunt rude way. i find myself doing too :oops: it is just a way of the northeast.
well, I'm just glad that I don't do it...Image

ImageImage
rh

Post by rh »

Cubitt wrote:I got mine years ago when they were $195 (nyeah nyeah!). All these years later, I don't miss the money, but I still have the whistle.
ditto, except i think mine was less ($140? ordered in 1997.. OMG has it been ten years already?). great whistle, a keeper.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Cubitt wrote:I got mine years ago when they were $195 (nyeah nyeah!). All these years later, I don't miss the money, but I still have the whistle.

A bargain is only a bargain if it's what you want. Otherwise, get what you want because having the money satisfies nothing. If you can't afford it, wait. Or maybe consider the money you spend on things you could happily live without.

Have I been sage enough for you?

Alan... It would make me happy if you'd take 200 bucks for it. :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert