The Lazy Finger

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Guidus
antispam: No

The Lazy Finger

Post by Guidus »

No, it's not the name of a tune. It's a problem that's driving me nuts.

I've played the whistle for a little more than 3 years now. I naturally have a pretty good, steady rhythm, so at least that is not a problem. Also, I can do rolls on G,F, and E fairly well. I'm in trouble with rolls on A and B, as many people I suppose.

The trouble is my left index finger. It's kind of "lazy", as it tends not to move and rest on the whistle instead. Even when I'm playing very slowly. Strangely, if I attempted rolls on A lifting my third finger - no problem at all.

Is this a common problem, and has anybody got a piece of advice for me?
Theo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Lazy Finger

Post by Theo »

Guidus wrote:Is this a common problem, and has anybody got a piece of advice for me?
Same here, except that on some days it simply works, and others it doesn't. I'll just keep practicing it, I suppose, very slowly...
Anglorfin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Anglorfin »

I have problems with rolls on E. My bottom ring finger just hates moving fast for some reason. I guess different people have different lazy fingers.

The odd thing is, when I'm playing a tune slowly and try a roll or tap on E it winds up sounding terrible. But a lot of the times when I'm playing a tune at speed the problem goes away. Like my finger knows that it has to move faster or something.

I still don't think it's a big deal though because it just adds flavor to a piece of music. I usually avoid using a lot of rolls on some of the low notes and use them on high notes almost exclusively if I can. I imagine that it sort of gives my tunes a personal feel. Though of course learning how to do low rolls well will pay off, but for now if I am playing in front of people I usually leave them out.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Anglorfin, like you, the only note that I have trouble rolling accurately is my E. My left hand (yes, I play with righty on top) just doesn't seem to be capable of doing a roll on it's own. F and G rolls execute just fine with the work split between the two hands and the single-handed A and B rolls do just fine for righty but lefty seems to have a block. The habit I've developed is doing a double-cut crann in the place of a roll for E (and, of course, it works for D as well). The first cut is executed by my top ring finger and the second by my bottom index finger.
A-like-so:

<head-bell>

XXX XXO
XXO XXO
XXX XXO
XXX OXO
XXX XXO
talasiga

the overworked thumb

Post by talasiga »

Guidus wrote:.......
The trouble is my left index finger. It's kind of "lazy", as it tends not to move and rest on the whistle instead. Even when I'm playing very slowly. Strangely, if I attempted rolls on A lifting my third finger - no problem at all.
I suspect its your left thumb. I suspect it is a bit cramped under the whistle. One steadies the whistle with it. However one can move the thumb to a different position and achieve a better result for steadiness and for the "ergodynamics" of the other digits.

I suspect if you move your thumb up the tube a bit more your index finger will move easier. You may even find pipers' grip with that finger an easier option also.

Yes, uncramp your left thumb. Its all about position, position, position.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Yes, that's very good advice. One should not pinch the whistle between the thumb and index finger to hold it, as that constricts the movement of the index finger. To steady the whistle, practice letting your lower lip do the supporting. Indeed, you can practice playing without having your left thumb in contact with the instrument at all. I don't recommend playing like that of course, but it can be a useful exercise.

Also, you can exercise your fingers by placing your hand on a table, palm flat, fingers splayed out. Lift each finger in turn as much as you can. This will strengthen the muscles in the upper forearm, especially the muscle that extends the ring finger, for which 99% of people have very little control. Those muscles are naturally weak, as they serve only to open our hand when we release an object. (Well, maybe we use them when flicking a boogie, not much else. :lol:) It's the muscles in the lower forearm that get all the daily workout because they give us our grip.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Agreed, the thumb advice. The thumb should be fairly flat against the back of the whistle, not pinching it with the tip of the thumb. You can try angling the thumb slightly upward towards being parallel with the length of the barrel. This puts more of the thumb pad in contact with the whistle, and can give a more secure feel. Try keeping the T1 and T2 fingers stiff and straight when executing the B roll, and move the fingers mostly from the big knuckle. I find that gives more speed and control.

But I really, really think the lazy finger problem is as much psychological as physical, maybe more. That top finger is the last line of defence against the dreaded "whistle volante" syndrome, otherwise known as flying whistle. Execute a B roll, and at the C# your whistle will drop like an arrow and impale your foot. Or at least that's what part of your brain thinks. And it tries to prevent that by telling that top finger not to move.

So the best remedy I've found is to use extra support on the bottom. On most whistles, you can put down one or two fingers of the bottom hand in addition to (or instead of) the pinky, and still play an in-tune B roll. The brain then thinks the whistle is nice and secure, and it frees up the top T1 finger to move more easily. This psychology works for the A roll, too, and you can even use 3 bottom fingers for that.