How to choose?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kriana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How to choose?

Post by Kriana »

Recently I've come into some money... enough for a start on a *really* nice flute (no more of this nineteenth century German stuff that is so quiet I can't even hear myself in a loud session).

I've been browsing flute makers online, watching ebay like a hawk, and keeping an eye on this forum. However, I'm having trouble figuring out what maker to buy from. Many makers have at least a couple of sound clips on their website, but not enough for my taste lol.

And since everyone is so scattered around the globe, I can't just go and try every single flute I'm thinking about.

So my question is... how do I buy a nice flute that I will be happy with the sound of, and also the way it plays, over the internet?
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

You said sessions...I definitely heard it. Any other flute players at these sessions? If so, ask to try their flutes. If not, it's harder. You can look at the list of flutes being played on the Wooden Flute Obsession CDs over at Kevin's site www.worldtrad.org . That may help a bit, but you won't sound like them because you're not them.

I personally think any flute by a good maker is all you need since the single biggest factor is the player. List a few makers you're considering, list you're price, and maybe someone will come up with a suggestion you really like.

Eric
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

That has to be one of the hardest questions there is. Since you're talking about a new flute, the question of conditions falls out of the equation (it's assumed that a new instruments won't be cracked). So at least you've simplified the process that much.

I selected mine by studying all I could about the characteristics of the various tradtional designs as well as the makers comments about their own improvements. Most makers include some testimonials on their sites, so that helped too. Having done the oiling and maintenance of a wooden flute for 15 years, I knew what that was all about and decided to stick with wood, although the technological advantages of the top-rate polymer flutes did tempt me. Then I decided just how much I really needed and wanted keyworks. I ended up with a keyless flute. For my personal needs and tastes, I've not regretted that.

After that it was a matter of selecting the maker by reputation (sites like Chiff & Fipple are indispensable for that!), and of course, price and delivery. Some of the makers will allow a trial period, so I looked for that. With so much of their sales depending upon the Internet, many makers are willing to do trial periods just to be competitive. Many will discuss the matter extensively with you by phone or email, and that can be a major help.

It's always a big question when trying to buy any musical instrument sight unseen, but you can reduce your risks by asking a lot of questions and making sure you have a maker/supplier that is willing to work with you after the check clears.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Having just gone through this, I can offer the factors that I had to weigh. I knew I wanted a "bigger, dryer" sound, which led me toward larger-holed flutes. I didn't care much about material, so I was open to anything.

I turned over a few flutes in a few months. In the end, I chose based on what felt best in my hands. I played a few that sounded great, but didn't feel natural or comfortable. I eventually landed on something that just felt like a broken in pair of jeans, and sounds good to my ear. Now it's a process of me molding to the needs and capabilities of the flute, which means time, practice and experience.

I know it's hard, but try any way you can for a chance to play a few.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
phcook

Post by phcook »

depends on:
1- what you can afford
2- what your skillness is

If you know what type fits you, get the best used flute (top notch makers) that you can find through this forum:
1- no waiting list
2- confidence and advice
3- if problem, you can sale it back without loosing money.

Best regards
Breizh soner
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It would be hard to go wrong with a Pat Olwell flute.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Where abouts are you? There may be some players on this forum who are nearby (if you are anywhere near London UK you're welcome to try my C.Wilkes). Or contact a maker and see if one of their flutes is owned by someone near to you.

I bought my flute - many years ago on the recommendation of a couple of a couple of classy players who were then playing in London sessions, At the time I could'nt play very well so trying different flutes wouldn't have helped me that much. You could try sessions or irish festivals near to you. If there are any groups touring , go to the gig, have a word with the flute player and ask their advice.

If I were in that position now I'd go for something like a Watson flute, from what I've read they appear to be good flutes, reasonably priced and there is not a long waiting list.

Good Luck

John
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I've brought this up before and there are a few makers who have travelling flutes which can be of some use as long as they are decently maintained along the way. In all honesty its best to find which style you like (Pratten, R&R, Nicholson etc.) and just get one from the top maker. I am convinced that the player makes the flute when dealing with the top flute makers. So, you can't go wrong in my opinion.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

there is a terry mcgee flute on ebay right now. i heard those are real nice. casey burns is always the first person to come to my mind when i thnk of buying a flute.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan