Phrases that Currently Get Up Your Nose

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mkchen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mkchen »

"At the end of the day..." heard ad nauseum at every congressional hearing, e.g. from Alberto Gonzalez.

"...on the ground..." referring to someone on the scene of some happening, heard ad nauseum on innumerable TV and radio newscasts, even NPR!

Ming
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mkchen wrote:"At the end of the day..." heard ad nauseum at every congressional hearing, e.g. from Alberto Gonzalez.
Mea maxima culpa. I used to hate it too, to bits, even, and then I found myself using it (long before Gonzalez and the other arrivistes du buzzword ever had). My shame knows not even the limit of a horizon.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

lalit wrote:From the "ridiculous and frighteningly widespread malapropisms" department:

WEARY (pron. "weery"), when what is meant is WARY.

People don't seem to realize that "weary" means "tired". Arrrggggh!

:swear:

Thank god for this thread.

Edited to add some clarifying punctuation -- don't want to turn into one of them misconstrued bad-talkin' types.
i grew up in pennsylvania and live in southern west virginia. the pronounciations sometimes are so different down here. i'm going to pay attention to weary/wary and see how folks pronounce that. for reasons beyond my understand the way i say seven & ten sound the same to these folks. you really have to hear a local store clerk say "aisle eight" to appreciate the troulbes i see.
Last edited by mutepointe on Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Nanohedron wrote:
mkchen wrote:"At the end of the day..." heard ad nauseum at every congressional hearing, e.g. from Alberto Gonzalez.
Mea maxima culpa. I used to hate it too, to bits, even, and then I found myself using it (long before Gonzalez and the other arrivistes du buzzword ever had). My shame knows not even the limit of a horizon.
I think a lot of us probably use phrases we hate. If you find yourself stuck with someone who thinks in cliches, it can reassure them to drop the occasional one yourself; furthermore, at least you know you'll be understood. When stuck with this kind of person for an uncomfortably long time, it can also be amusing to see if you can take the mickey without them noticing.

When push comes to shove, at the end of the day, what goes around comes around, and that's, like, the bottom line, dude.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wombat wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
I think a lot of us probably use phrases we hate. If you find yourself stuck with someone who thinks in cliches, it can reassure them to drop the occasional one yourself; furthermore, at least you know you'll be understood. When stuck with this kind of person for an uncomfortably long time, it can also be amusing to see if you can take the mickey without them noticing.
The work associate you cited, Lorraine, comes to mind. :wink:
Wombat wrote:When push comes to shove, at the end of the day, what goes around comes around, and that's, like, the bottom line, dude.
You are so teh roxxorz. It's six of one and half a dozen of another, but when all's said and done, you make your own bed and reap what you sow, so no use crying over spilt milk. That's water over the dam and under the bridge, big time. Word. Peace out.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Nanohedron wrote: That's water over the dam and under the bridge, big time.
Before or after it's off a duck's back?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Wombat wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: That's water over the dam and under the bridge, big time.
Before or after it's off a duck's back?
That's a horse of a different color. But it goes without saying you first-off determined that it walked and quacked like one. Proof in the pudding, and all that.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Are we having try-outs for Sancho Panza or something? :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:Are we having try-outs for Sancho Panza or something? :lol:
All in the eye of the beholder. Clichés are the bee's knees, because they are the smoking gun that there's more than one way to skin a cat. But it's hell to pay if you hope to not repeat your little gems.
lalit

Post by lalit »

mutepointe wrote:
lalit wrote:From the "ridiculous and frighteningly widespread malapropisms" department:

WEARY (pron. "weery"), when what is meant is WARY.

People don't seem to realize that "weary" means "tired". Arrrggggh!

:swear:

Thank god for this thread.

Edited to add some clarifying punctuation -- don't want to turn into one of them misconstrued bad-talkin' types.
i grew up in pennsylvania and live in southern west virginia. the pronounciations sometimes are so different down here. i'm going to pay attention to weary/wary and see how folks pronounce that. for reasons beyond my understand the way i say seven & ten sound the same to these folks. you really have to hear a local store clerk say "aisle eight" to appreciate the troulbes i see.
If it were an interesting regional pronunciation, it wouldn't bug me so much. But I'm on the US west coast, where it can't be accounted for in our regional accent. It's mostly spreading via those members of the 20-something-and-under set who don't put a lot of stock in education. It definitely started here as a mispronunciation, and has spread through copycatting. My nearly-40-yo brother has started to pronounce it that way because of his contact with a younger crowd. But I've heard it in public places and -- :o -- even on TV.
lalit

Post by lalit »

While I'm at it, I'd like to put in some kind thoughts for the subjunctive:
If it were an interesting regional pronunciation...
(Rather than "If it was an interesting regional pronunciation...")

It adds so much richness to our language, but I wonder whether it could be headed toward extinction as fewer and fewer people bother to use it.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i don't know enough about grammar to know for sure but i think someone just got dissed.
白飞梦
lalit

Post by lalit »

Don't worry mutepointe, I wasn't dissing anybody with the subjunctive bit -- just a little pre-emptive nostalgia.

And the weary/wary thing -- the only person I may have dissed was my own brother, and I'm pretty sure he would tell me what to do with that!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

brothers were meant for dissing. i have three older brothers who did their fair share and one younger brother. all i had to say to him was, "you can cry if you want to." and he'd start.
白飞梦
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Boy answers door.

Visitor: I would like to speak to your mother or father.

Boy: Thay ain't here.

Visitor: Young lad, where is your grammer?

Boy: She's in the kitchen...