Do you have an obsolete skill?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

djm wrote::lol: You're sounding pretty old and cranky, there, Doug. :lol:

I remember those days vaguely, but they were already disappearing when I was a child. I remember when the first three characters of my old home phone number (the NXX) were called Parkway 8 = PA8 = 728. I don't remember why we had those names. I don't know too many people who remember them at all.

Three-, four-, and five-digit dialling still remain today for Centrex and PBX (business) lines. Things evolve for convenience, but with that convenience comes more responsibility for the user to learn/know how to operate the machinery. I suppose from that perspective, it would be easier on us to have someone else do all the knowing/understanding for us. But then we pay a price for that lack of knowing, for that giving up of our freedom along with the responsibility ......djm
I don't feel that I am being unnecessarily cranky for looking back on some of the good things of the past with nostalgia. For example, I liked it when cars were simple enough that I understood how to work on them. I could repair the carbuerator, set the timing, adjust the points, gap the plugs, etc. Modern cars have computers that do much of what I just mentioned. But onboard computers require special test equipment that the private individual usually doesn't have. Even professional mechanics often don't understand how to go about fixing a certain problem.

I agree with the last paragraph (above), but it is a double-edge sword that wacks at our freedom. If we fail to learn and rely on others to do things for us, we give up a measure of personal freedom. However, the complexity of modern systems often force us into this position whether we choose it or not.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I can oil and 'play in' a cricket bat.
Tune a guitar by ear.
Operate a hand mower—I still own one—and a hand edger.
Do tricks with a yo yo.
Walk to the shops, and back again.
Give a lecture with just chalk—no markers, overhead projectors or powerpoint.
Play marbles.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Actually, there has been a digital box out to create reverse delays for several years now. :)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
. For example, I liked it when cars were simple enough that I understood how to work on them. I could repair the carbuerator, set the timing, adjust the points, gap the plugs, etc. Modern cars have computers that do much of what I just mentioned. But onboard computers require special test equipment that the private individual usually doesn't have. Even professional mechanics often don't understand how to go about fixing a certain problem.
Many things mechanical are modular. You don't fix, you replace. I had an experience a few years back where a dishwasher required a whole new pump unit because of one small plastic part that could not be extracted and replaced.

Those with great natural mechanical aptitude aren't necessarily valued in this modular thinking. Basically, the employees are "replacement technicians."

Look under the hood of a vintage mid-50s American pickup truck with a straight six. It's so incredibly simple and you can make out all the components. Then you look under the hood of a modern car and see the swath of wires, hoses and plastic assemblies and its pretty unfamiliar and unfriendly. I agree with Doug.

Knowing that in Japan, engines are swapped out by law after a certain amount of miles makes me wonder if their prevalence in car-making has led to this. I know some of it is for pollution control. What really gets me is the dependance on electrical components. One nuclear pulse away from being stranded completely in transportation and communication. Heck, we won't even be able to pump gas or water by hand either. Electronic age cavemen.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
djm wrote::lol: You're sounding pretty old and cranky, there, Doug. :lol:

I remember those days vaguely, but they were already disappearing when I was a child. I remember when the first three characters of my old home phone number (the NXX) were called Parkway 8 = PA8 = 728. I don't remember why we had those names. I don't know too many people who remember them at all.

Three-, four-, and five-digit dialling still remain today for Centrex and PBX (business) lines. Things evolve for convenience, but with that convenience comes more responsibility for the user to learn/know how to operate the machinery. I suppose from that perspective, it would be easier on us to have someone else do all the knowing/understanding for us. But then we pay a price for that lack of knowing, for that giving up of our freedom along with the responsibility ......djm
I don't feel that I am being unnecessarily cranky for looking back on some of the good things of the past with nostalgia. For example, I liked it when cars were simple enough that I understood how to work on them. I could repair the carbuerator, set the timing, adjust the points, gap the plugs, etc. Modern cars have computers that do much of what I just mentioned. But onboard computers require special test equipment that the private individual usually doesn't have. Even professional mechanics often don't understand how to go about fixing a certain problem.

I agree with the last paragraph (above), but it is a double-edge sword that wacks at our freedom. If we fail to learn and rely on others to do things for us, we give up a measure of personal freedom. However, the complexity of modern systems often force us into this position whether we choose it or not.
To play the devils advocate here, I know and am very familiar with both "old" and "new" cars; there is a certain point that one reaches as a mechanic where, when you understand the basics of what is neccesary for internal combustion, you really do know all you need to know and the rest is just, for lack of a better term, learning how to do those basic things more efficiently (ya right, whatever :twisted: ).
An end consumer plug in tool to read the computer codes in any modern vehicle is under $100, and quite frankly, for people that I help who know sod all about cars, that's exactly what I reccomend to them. ( Many brands of these "code readers" offer software wherein you can change the functional ranges of things like fuel/air, timing, O2 tolerances etc)
80-90% (IMHO) of all repairs on a car, even a modern one, can be done by a shade tree weekender mechanic with nothing more than a basic set of tools from Harbor Frieght.

I taught myself how to work on cars as a wee lad and have maintained that as both a hobby and an oft times cash cow.
I prefer working on cars like my 67 Mustang or my dad's bel air becaise of the simplicity of the designs used back then, but when all's said and done, working on my Mustang is really no more or less simple than working on, say, my wife's 2000 Mazda. In all reality, the ammount of material to understand in order to work on newer cars is basically the same (simply put, it requires thinking about the traditional automotive problems from different angles; as I've said, the basic functions of all automobiles are the same, they simply differ in component content), they just look different with their Borg implants and sensors and bulbous wiring harnesses.

anyways, YMMV [/devil's advocate mode]
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Can you turn a skein into a hank?

My parents kept a drapers shop, which sold knitting wool. Mostly it was sold in one-ounce balls. But now and then it would arrive in skeins. Big loops of four or six ounces or more. And the assistants would take the skein in a big loop in one hand, put their hand through the loop to grasp the bottom and then, in one sweep, draw the loop through itself to tie it into a sort of plait. That way it wouldn't tie itself in knots, in storage.

I always wanted to do that, but I never learned how.
Anyone out there who can?
Did the hanks look something like this? If so, yeah, I can.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Forgot-
I can take a B&W picture with a 4X5 camera, develop the neg, print and mount it on archival mount board.

I can use a manual transmission!

Adjust points on a car with a match book- what ever a match book is :-)

Wind a watch
djm

Post by djm »

I don't have a horse, nor can I ride one, nor do I know much about keeping them, but one day I was at a pioneer re-enactment sort of place, and there was a guy making harness and tack for draught horses. He was pretty old, and told me that, outside Mennonite country, there were few people who knew how to do that stuff anymore (make the big collars, etc.). I don't know if I'd be any good at it, or if I could even make a living at it (remember, this old guy was working at a re-enactment place, not a tack shop) but it sure looked awfully interesting.

djm
Denny

Post by Denny »

djm wrote:He was pretty old, and told me that, outside Mennonite country, there were few people who knew how to do that stuff anymore
intrest in horse driving is growing currently as is harness making.

The wife and I have started making harness. No collars yet. We did make a crupper, yeah I know it's the other end and small but it is stuffed. :D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

seisflutes wrote:Did the hanks look something like this? If so, yeah, I can.
... there's a reel in that response somewhere...
djm

Post by djm »

JES wrote:... there's a reel in that response somewhere...
Get your teeth into that one, then. :D

T:Ravelled Hank of Yarn, The
R:reel
M:4/4
L:1/8
Z:transcribed by Mike Hogan
K: D
~B3d ~A3B|G~B3 G~B3|d~A3 d2eg|fd=cA AGG2|
~B3G ~A3B|G~B3 G~B3|d~A3 d2eg|fd=cA AGG2||
d~G3 dG(3Bcd|~g3a bgaf|d~G3 d2eg|fd=cA AGG2|
d~G3 dG(3Bcd|~g3a bgaf|~g3a bgaf|ged=c BGG2|

djm
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I can type 70+ wpm on a manual typewriter.

I can make corrections to copy via paste-up

I can run copy through a waxer

I can use a dictaphone

I can hand-iron linen (actually, that still comes in handy, as I'm on the altar guild at church, but I bet most people don't have to do this anymore)

I can cook without a microwave or a food processor.

And weighing in for my husband: He can use a slide rule.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

My slide rule skills are still pretty good. I occasionally reach for my beautiful 12-inch Post Versalog when I don't need umpteen digits of precision. Sometimes solving a tricky calculation using what amounts to a bamboo stick is very satisfying.

How about International Morse Code? As a ham operator for the past 40 years, I can still send and receive 35 words per minute (that's moderately fast) using a straight telegraph key, mechanical "bug" key, or electronic keyer. I can not only send SOS, but describe the size, shape and color of the iceberg. :-)
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Copy and send Morse code at about 25-30 wpm 1/2 way round the world with less than one watt of power. I never got the hang of a bug.

Can read the call sign of Argentia Newfoundland NAS in Morse code with the "swing" on it (NRK sounded like slantsign K).

Cut a nut yut oh you sut put ee ay cut tut you tut? I cut a nut! (guess the name of the secret language!)

Itway isway imilarsay otay igpay atlinlay utbay ifferentday.

Excavate with a team of mules and a pan.

Harness and bridle, plow, disk, cut and rake hay with a team of horses/mules and make them turn the way I want them to without using the reins. Also use a leatherpunch to adjust harnesses

I know what a swingletree is and how to hook it up

Use a hand pump in the winter and not get my tongue stuck on it.

Saddle a horse that "swells up" and the saddle will stay on top of the horse when I mount it.

Use a K&E log-log-duplex decitrig sly drool (as a secretary typed it) but a scientific calculator now costs much less that it did

Program in BASIC.

Diagnose and repair tube radio. televisions and hi fi's (if I can get the parts).

Re-cone a speaker (if I can find the parts).

Hand de-gauss a round tube color TV without a degaussing coil

Make and use a whammydiddle

I can read writing but I can't write reading...

Milk a cow by hand and keep the cow from stepping into the milk bucket (but never could keep from getting hit in the head with a tail full of burrs)

Strain the milk

Churn butter and store the milk and butter in the spring house.

Wiggle my right ear

Remember our ring for our first telephone (three longs and a short), but I can't find my mind as I can't remember where I last used it...

Field strip, clean and assemble the caliber 30 M1A1 semi-automatic gas operated rifle (Garand, 30 lbs worth).

March for an hour on a Saturday saying "this is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for killing, this is for fun" at right shoulder arms.

Make waterwings with a long sleeved shirt or pair of trowsers.

Make a drowning sailor turn loose of me so I can surface and not drown myself.

I can use a "horsecollar" to be rescued from the sea.

Stick out my tongue and touch my elbow. (guess how!)

Brace the bulkhead

Show a new sailor recuit a sea bat and send him to look for a bucket of prop wash.

Walk up and down the ladders without using my hands on rungs.

Know why the head is called a head, even though isn't located at the head of modern ships

Know what the OOD is

Know what flop, chop, 110 drop means in the T-34 Mentor.

Know what Russian Bear paints looks like on radar and laugh at the news that the fleet in the Med were surprised by them.

Write in invisible ink made from a kitchen fruit and know how to develop and read it as well.

I wish I knew something useful...
Last edited by fancypiper on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Wow, these are all great! After reading these posts, I thought of a few more-

I can develop x-ray film the old way with a timer, and chemicals in seperate tanks in the dark.

I can do a manual white cell/platelet/sperm cell count- likewise some other lab work that is now done by machine.

I too can wiggle my ears.

I can harnass a work horse, ride and care for horses,pull calves, care for cattle, garden, peg tobacco, etc(in otherwords-farm). like it use to be done in the early 1900s.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West