Any webpage savvy people out there?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Any webpage savvy people out there?

Post by Redwolf »

I'm designing a webpage for our local Episcopal Deanery. It's going to be hosted on a site that already has a webpage on it, but it will have its own domain name (which has been transfered to my control). The problem is, while I've designed many a webpage, I've never done one with its own domain, so I have no idea how to put the two together. Can anyone out there advise me?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

what kind of server is it on? how much control do you have over it?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

The administrator of the server should be able to tell you exactly how s/he wants this set up, but usually you would want to call your main page something like home.html. Any browser that gets sent to a directory without a specific page name will automatically look for a document called home by default. If you are setting up a fancy web site based on frames, then you want your frame document to be called home.

All your other pages can link off your home page, and have links to get users back to the home page no matter how far through your pages they may roam.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

djm wrote:The administrator of the server should be able to tell you exactly how s/he wants this set up, but usually you would want to call your main page something like home.html. Any browser that gets sent to a directory without a specific page name will automatically look for a document called home by default. If you are setting up a fancy web site based on frames, then you want your frame document to be called home.

All your other pages can link off your home page, and have links to get users back to the home page no matter how far through your pages they may roam.

djm
Not "index"?

Chrisoff, the answer is "I don't know" and "probably not much." I haven't tried to log on to the server yet, but it belongs to someone who is donating this space to the church (which is donating space to the deanery).

Redwolf
djm

Post by djm »

Yes, index.html works, too. If I recall correctly, index came first, in Unix systems, with home.htm coming later, either out of MS or Mac (can't remember now). They are a default value, but you don't have to use them. You could have your home page start on a page called bob.htm. As long as the server software knows what to point to it should be okay, but if a link breaks for whatever reason, a default works to get readers back on track, whereas bob wouldn't.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Any webpage savvy people out there?

Post by kkrell »

Redwolf wrote:I'm designing a webpage for our local Episcopal Deanery. It's going to be hosted on a site that already has a webpage on it, but it will have its own domain name (which has been transfered to my control). The problem is, while I've designed many a webpage, I've never done one with its own domain, so I have no idea how to put the two together. Can anyone out there advise me?

Redwolf
The hosting site will have its own directory (Domain Name Server) for other domains hosted on their site/machines. Through the registrar for your Domain Name you will have the ability (when you log in under your user name and password) for you to set the DNS (Domain Name Server) for your domain. You point to the ones for the hosting site (example: ns1. Within 72 hours, this will propagate through the Web such that all the other DNS sites will have the updated information. Your site will then be addressable by its Domain Name. The DNS translates your Domain Name into the IP (Internet Protocol) numerical addressing needed to reach that system (example: 128.0.0.14)

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

djm wrote:The administrator of the server should be able to tell you exactly how s/he wants this set up, but usually you would want to call your main page something like home.html. Any browser that gets sent to a directory without a specific page name will automatically look for a document called home by default. If you are setting up a fancy web site based on frames, then you want your frame document to be called home.
1998 called, it wants it's website back :D
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Redwolf wrote: Chrisoff, the answer is "I don't know" and "probably not much." I haven't tried to log on to the server yet, but it belongs to someone who is donating this space to the church (which is donating space to the deanery).

Redwolf
You should speak to the server administrator, they should be able to tell you how they usually set up the sites on the server. This wil be slightly different depending on if it's an IIS server or something else like apache.

You'll need to look at the site you registered the domain with and see what information is needed there. Usually you need the IP address assigned to the site on the server and the DNS (name server) of your host that's providing the server space. You may need a few other bits and pieces for email and stuff. Most domain registry sites will have a tutorial or help section to assist you with the whole process and how they do it using their menus.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Call your new home page by the name of whatever the existing home page is or was and your problem will vanish.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Hi Red,

Hmm... signal to noise problem here.

chrisoff is on the ball.

Please correct any misunderstanding in what follows.

Firstly, the domain needs to be set up so it "points" at the webspace/server space where your site will be hosted. In real terms you probably don't need to actually know DNS and IP address details - it can be useful, but many webmasters get along fine never having a clue about either!

Your domain MAY already be pointed at the webspace. The company providing the hosting will certainly be able to tell you if that is the case. They will also advise on how to point the domain at their hosting, and they are the best people to ask. If the domain is not pointing at the hosting space where your site will live, then you will need to request and authorise the people with whom the domain is registered to make the necessary changes. Again, the hosting company will advise.

So the questions you need to ask them are:

* Does "the_domain_in_question.com" point to my webspace already?

and if not,

* What do you need me to say to the domain company to get it pointed at the webspace?

Once the domain has (if necessary) been pointed at the webspace, it may take a while for the internet to fully grasp that fact, and for your site to be visible to everyone who types in that domain, but a day or two at most will do it.

The hosting company will need to tell you some or all of the following for you to upload and maintain the site that you build:

* FTP server address
* FTP user name
* FTP password
* The server directory into which they want you to upload your files

You will need an FTP client, if you haven't used one before. If you use Dreamweaver (yuk) then one is built in. Otherwise I recommend Filezilla, which is a free download.

The details listed above will need to be entered into your FTP client according to the software's instructions.

The homepage should normally be called "index.html" (or, more rarely, "default.html") unless you are using server side scripting with PHP or ASP etc. If that is the case, then you'd still call the homepage "index" but the file extension will be that appropriate to the platform. I.e., for PHP you'd call the homepage "index.php".

If you don't know about, or use, server side scripts then you can ignore that bit and just call it "index.html" regardless of everything! :wink:

One last word. If you want your site to have a chance at all in search engines, please don't use frames. They are, as chrisoff said, from the 20th Century, and have few valid uses these days, apart from buggering up your chances of a decent Google ranking.

If you need any more info, feel free to PM.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

s1m0n wrote:Call your new home page by the name of whatever the existing home page is or was and your problem will vanish.
Also a possibility, but if the domain is new it would be better to go with "index" no matter what, and to do a 301 redirect from the old site. It might just be me, but I'm not sure if Red is doing this with a domain they've recently acquired, or if an exisiting site already resided at that address.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Thanks for the input, all!

In answer to some of the questions:

This is a very simple, html page. No frames or anything funky.

To the best of my knowledge, this domain name has never been pointed at an actual site, though it's been reserved for the deanery by various persons for years. I've inherited this project, partially because no one else has ever followed through with setting up the page. The person who most recently "owned" the domain has transfered it to my name, in trust for the deanery.

We don't want to use the church's domain name as part of the deanery's URL (e.g. www.localchurch/episcopaldeanery.org), because the deanery represents all the area churches...it wouldn't look right for one particular church's name to appear in the URL, even though the space on which both sites will be hosted belongs to the church.

Thanks again!

Redwolf