Water Claimed in Evaporating Planet HD 209458b

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Water Claimed in Evaporating Planet HD 209458b

Post by Denny »

djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

The presence of water in a gas giant (the only type of planet identifiable at present) is no more indication of the possibility of extraterrestrial life than .... what was I saying? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I have no doubt of extraterrestrial life, I mean, it would be foolish (considering the sheer number of galaxies and subsequent solar systems that we have documented... practically nothing on the cosmic scale) to think otherwise. I wonder at the mentality those who consider life beyond our own system "controversial".

I guess humanity still wants to be the biggest fish in the pond.Image
djm

Post by djm »

Yeah, sure, and next you're going to tell us you believe in Darwin's evolution theory and the Easter Bunny. :lol:

djm
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

djm wrote:The presence of water in a gas giant (the only type of planet identifiable at present) is no more indication of the possibility of extraterrestrial life than .... what was I saying? :boggle:

djm
That's actually completely inaccurate anymore. Smaller planets have been discovered as well. After ten years with our local planetarium you learn a few things.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Do you still work over at Clarke, Brian?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:Yeah, sure, and next you're going to tell us you believe in Darwin's evolution theory and the Easter Bunny. :lol:

djm
... what, you don't? :P
Jack

Post by Jack »

That's beautiful. I like it a lot.

I never (well, rarely) read the text, I just look at your pictures.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Tyler Morris wrote:Do you still work over at Clarke, Brian?
No - though most of my time was there when it was still Hansen Planetarium. I worked in the education and production depts. Miss doing the star shows! I still spend a fair amount of time over there however, seeing what's new, visiting old friends and every now and again helping with the odd show.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Very cool!
The planetarium is one of the activities (among many others, of course, one per week) we always try and take our group of disabled individuals to, sometimes twice a year.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

Brian Lee wrote:That's actually completely inaccurate anymore.
Tongue + cheek .... lotsa cheek. :D

Its been many years now since the McLaughlin Planetarium in Toronto was shut down. I think they ran out of money and imagination long before they ran out of things you can do with that big ol' Zeiss projector. :)

djm
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

It's a shame really. Simillar thing happened here. Our old projector "Jake" was parted out and so far as we know *mostly* ended up in a museum somewhere in S. Africa. Now they use the Digistar III exclusively. It's a far cry from the beauty of the older projectors, but because it can render fuzzy images full dome in sad washed out colors and stars look more like fuzz balls....it's somehow "better".
Montana

Post by Montana »

Man, isn't that cool!

Sometimes I look at these and think, "That has *got* to be photoshopped." It seems too colorful and of such incredible perspective that it can't be real. Great stuff, Denny.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Montana wrote:Man, isn't that cool!

Sometimes I look at these and think, "That has *got* to be photoshopped." It seems too colorful and of such incredible perspective that it can't be real. Great stuff, Denny.

Take note of those words "Artist's Impression". :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Montana wrote:Man, isn't that cool!

Take note of those words "Artist's Impression". :wink:
who can say what the artist sees? :D