learning curve for low D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

learning curve for low D?

Post by eedbjp »

How is the learning curve for a low D? Is it like learning the flute in terms of a lot of frustration in the beginning? The one time I tried it I could only play very slowly but I loved the sound.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

LEARN, speed and technique on the the penny whistle first-----------
seisflutes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by seisflutes »

I remember the same thing when I got my first low D. I could only play very slowly for probably a few months until I got the "piper's hold" down. It does take practice, like any instrument.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Need to practice but it is a lot easier than flute.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Loving the Low Whistle sound is a key. Learn the piper's grip. Play at your own pace. The ascent of the learning curve is full of work and full of delight. Go!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

I agree with learning to use piper's grip. Took me a few hours of solitude to get the "bottom" D strong, but it went easier from there. They take a good deal of practice at the beginning (as do most things) but I picked them up quite quickly(in the scheme of things, a week or so)Getting a few "in person" pointers from a teacher or a player who plays Low D's that could help would be a plus, I got my beauty from a friend who paid $250 for it, only to become frusterated they couldn't make it do what their penny whistle did.

I recommend to start playing airs or slower tunes that require not too much finger movement at first, and force you to hold notes for a time in order to get your fingers trained. Slowly progress up in tempo. They provide a lot of enjoyment once you get technique down, and is a great way to "mix things up" when playing tunes, I switch keys often, and this keeps songs from getting monotonous.

Best of luck!
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

You may never be good at it if you have small hands or a your fingers don't splay out. My fingers are medium length, but when I spread them out, people can't believe that I'm trying to do so. It looks like I'm not making any effort to spread them. I made my own low d with the holes WAY off center so my fingers could reach them, but even that was a bust, despite many hours of trying.
Short bio: 1952-
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Adrian wrote:Need to practice but it is a lot easier than flute.
Wholeheartedly agree. If you already play a high D whistle at an intermediate or higher calibre, then adapting to the low D can take days, weeks, or months, in my estimation. Flute OTOH is not a simple extension at all and IMHO almost a completely different instrument (likewise mando --> fiddle). I'm talking years for the average human.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

It probably took me 3 months to be able to play up to speed comfortably, but I had already been playing the whistle for about 3 years before that. I find the flute easier to hold than the low D now that I am used to holding both instruments. But, the low D is much easier for me to get a consistent tone and breath. I like the control of the flute tone better though. Don't replace the flute with the low D, play both.

-Casey
Life is good.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I had difficulty with the reach until I got a Burke AL-PRO. It has a joint between the hands, so I can offset the holes and drop my elbows to the side and even play it standing up.

Other low Ds I have tried with the holes straight, I had to rest on one knee and stick my elbows way out which was really uncomfortable.

The reach is longer than the reach on the C chanter of my uilleann pipes (which is just about the reach of a low F whistle).

I can play jigs and slow airs OK, and a couple of reels, but fast slides and polkas haven't come into my playing yet.
arnie

Post by arnie »

I learned to play the high and low whistle simultaneously. For me it worked out ok. The tunes I played on the high whistle I played on the low whistel as well, of course a bit slower. The piper's grip is not difficult to learn, it only feels a bit awkward in the beginning.
I only learned the tunes I liked a lot (tunes that got into my head and refused to leave it), therefore I got motivated to do other stuff as well.
Succes!
Thistlewool

Post by Thistlewool »

I actually find it more comfortable to play a low d (with piper`s grip) than playing a high d with normal grip :) I think it has something to do with the fact that I dont have to bend my fingers very much. I also find it easier to stay in tempo with pipers grip. I have tried to play tin whistles using it, but it doesnt seem to work for me, the holes are to close :(
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

There are two possible sources of difficulty, over and above those you might have with a high whistle. First, breath. Second, fingering.

Breath is just a matter of practice and of selecting a low D which suits you. If you are most daunted by having to blow hard, avoid whistles with high backpressure like Chieftain or Overtons that haven't been made to order. Go for a Burke or perhaps a Reyburn or, if you can afford it, a Copeland. But if you don't want to be taking frequent breaths, go for a whistle with plenty of packpressure like an Overton. I really like both Overton and Copeland, but obviously they have very different playing characteristics. I also like the sound of Reyburns but I have trouble with the offset holes which I can't get used to.

This brings me to fingering. If you want to use your finger tips, you might find the offset holes of the Reyburn to your liking. I struggle because I find I have to use my pinky which I'm not comfortable with on a low whistle although I can play with my pinky easily on modal high whistles with unusual hole placement. My suggestion—don't muck around, use piper fingering from the outset.

By far the easiest way to get proficient on a low D, aside from taking the obvious advice to practice hard, is to first learn to play with piper's grip on a low F or low G. Even a low Eb will be easier to play. I'd suggest you start with an easier low whistle of the kind you like best and then move to the low D when you are comfortable. Better still, buy a low G and D and learn them at the same time. You'll find you make much quicker progress on the low G and that should encourage you to persist with the low D. There is nothing you need to do with low D that you can't learn on a low G where it is miuch easier.

Learning flute is far harder than learning low whistle. The development and maintenance of an embouchure is a matter of daily practice. But note, it is much easier to play a transverse flute with your fingertips than a low whistle, hence my advice, don't even try to play low whistle with the finger tips unless it is comfortable immediately.