my new olive wood whistles by Tommy

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Anglorfin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Anglorfin »

The grain of that wood is beautiful.
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

King Friday wrote:The white delrin fipple plug looks very classy, I haven't seen that before.
In my experience wooden plugs are better than metal or plastics. Less clogging.

Yes, the olive is a beautiful wood and for aesthetic considerations also I would like to see an olive plug. Olive at the heart, so to speak.

Please take my opinions here with a grain of Aegean salt as I am merely a music maker and not an instrument maker.

My best wishes to Blackhawk!
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

talasiga wrote:
King Friday wrote:The white delrin fipple plug looks very classy, I haven't seen that before.
In my experience wooden plugs are better than metal or plastics. Less clogging.

Yes, the olive is a beautiful wood and for aesthetic considerations also I would like to see an olive plug. Olive at the heart, so to speak.

Please take my opinions here with a grain of Aegean salt as I am merely a music maker and not an instrument maker.

My best wishes to Blackhawk!
Thank you, my friend Talasiga!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

AlonE wrote:Wowww!! fantastic!! pretty whistle, what is your price???
I'm not selling these, AlonE, but thanks.
so, the flipp is of Derlin?
I think so, AlonE, but you'll need to PM Tommy to be sure.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

crookedtune wrote:Cool! What happens if you blow into the fipples?
It makes a nice sound. :D

--Plato
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

brewerpaul wrote:Olivewood is glorious stuff. Do yours still have that olive aroma in the wood? When I machine olivewood, the smell is almost intoxicating.
I wish I could answer that, Paul, but where I live it's hay fever season, and I wish I could smell a lot of things right now. :)

--Plato
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Amazing looks. Olive is why I switched from Mopane for my Bleazy's:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=49255

The brass does show off the olive quite well and I also think a wooden fipple plug would look nicer.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thank you King. For those that ask for wood or garlic. I will have the wood very soon, and the garlic! I'll try later. :lol:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

brewerpaul wrote:
The Whistle Collector wrote:very beautiful, kind of looks like a Schultz or Busman. i hope the sound is as good. :)
I hope it's not... :(

Just kidding Tommy-- I hope you do well with these. They look beautiful.
I see you're working on a C: with the same ID and OD, you can also make Eb. Pushing any higher or lower would not work out too well though.
Thank you Paul, and again thanks for the susgestions you emailed to me. They worked. The olive wood does have an aroma when turning it, but seems to dissipate later. Like most hardwoods it takes a very nice natural shine to it. I just have to be careful, and not shine it to much. Shade said the curly maple tour whistle was beautiful to look at. But was almost to smooth to hold on to. :lol:
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Beautiful instrument! Did you seal it up with wax? acrylic?

Would you consider leaving more thickness at the voiceing window? a deeper window/labium provides more acoustic stability. Increased thickness at the lowest hole location will let you shift all of the toneholes lower and even out the diameters for equal loudness across the scale.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:Beautiful instrument! Did you seal it up with wax? acrylic?
The inside has a lite coat of almond oil. There is nothing on the outside except a lot of hand rubbing. To me there is something more appealing with smooth wood than a clear coat of something that you look through.