My rant for the day-carrying small dogs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

springrobin wrote:
(and cats in Africa, but they were working)
I don't think these are the same dogs that are marking the pet store aisles.
Working cats- isn't that an oxymoron? Care to elaborate?
I remember a carbide engineer I knew telling me of a stint he did in Thailand. He was invited to eat dinner at the home of one of his co-workers, a local. The house was raised on stilts, as much for the breeze as to avoid flooding. All the dinner plates and utensils were steel. After dinner, the plates were all put down on the ground under the house for the local cats to lick clean. Talk about your working cats! :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Cranberry wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:Image
DO...NOT...WANT!
And that's probably a boy dog.
Now that really would be going too far!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

emmline wrote:Image
It would be really hard not to pee on this. I mean, for the doggie. I could resist.
Well thank goodness. For a minute there I thought we weren't going to be able to take you anywhere at all!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I really think that all dogs, regardless of size, are healthiest, happiest and sanest if treated like dogs...not like dollies. I've known some Chihuahuas, Toy Poodles and Yorkies who were tough little characters...and well-adjusted to boot. The "yappie little dog" syndrome can be laid squarely at the feet of the owner in most cases.

That said, I can think of some occasions when a carrier...or even, yes, a baby carriage makes sense. An elderly or infirm dog often can still get out and enjoy a bit of the world if he's able to ride. When my Cedar's arthritis and back problems got bad, he really couldn't walk very far. He still loved getting out and seeing people and other dogs, however. And it's always good advice to pick a small dog up in a crowd, since it really is easy for them to be injured (that's why I prefer miniature poodles to toy poodles...they're just that much bigger, and considerably less fragile).

There's no such thing as a purebred "teacup poodle" by the way...that's a marketing technique used by unethical backyard breeders and puppy mills. The only accepted size designations are Standard (taller than 15 inches), Miniature (15 inches to just above 9 inches) and Toy (9 inches or smaller).

I hate to see living creatures treated as fashion accessories. It's just sad...and to my mind, cruel. Dogs (even...and sometimes especially...little ones!) need to run and jump and chase things and get into mud puddles and horse manure...not dressed up, perfumed, and carted around like living dolls. They need a strong, well-adjusted pack leader, not a neurotic "mama."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Nanohedron wrote:
springrobin wrote:
(and cats in Africa, but they were working)
Working cats- isn't that an oxymoron? Care to elaborate?
Mousers.
More probably as rat abatement.

To think "working cats" is an oxymoron tells me you've never lived on a farm.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It's not work to the cat. They love killing and maiming little creatures.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

That's why I love cats. :love:

djm
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

they are dogs, not little people. i dont like to see people treating dogs like children, it is bad for the person and the dog. i learned that off of the dog whisperer, thanks ceaser millan. :thumbsup:
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:Image
It would be really hard not to pee on this. I mean, for the doggie. I could resist.
Eeek! I'm not so sure that I could! :lol:
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Redwolf wrote:I really think that all dogs, regardless of size, are healthiest, happiest and sanest if treated like dogs...not like dollies. I've known some Chihuahuas, Toy Poodles and Yorkies who were tough little characters...and well-adjusted to boot. The "yappie little dog" syndrome can be laid squarely at the feet of the owner in most cases.

That said, I can think of some occasions when a carrier...or even, yes, a baby carriage makes sense. An elderly or infirm dog often can still get out and enjoy a bit of the world if he's able to ride. When my Cedar's arthritis and back problems got bad, he really couldn't walk very far. He still loved getting out and seeing people and other dogs, however. And it's always good advice to pick a small dog up in a crowd, since it really is easy for them to be injured (that's why I prefer miniature poodles to toy poodles...they're just that much bigger, and considerably less fragile).

There's no such thing as a purebred "teacup poodle" by the way...that's a marketing technique used by unethical backyard breeders and puppy mills. The only accepted size designations are Standard (taller than 15 inches), Miniature (15 inches to just above 9 inches) and Toy (9 inches or smaller).

I hate to see living creatures treated as fashion accessories. It's just sad...and to my mind, cruel. Dogs (even...and sometimes especially...little ones!) need to run and jump and chase things and get into mud puddles and horse manure...not dressed up, perfumed, and carted around like living dolls. They need a strong, well-adjusted pack leader, not a neurotic "mama."

Redwolf
Perfect! I couldn't have said it better myself.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
Lambchop wrote:I was innocently standing in line to pay for a fish-tank plant when I was . . . snorfled . . . by an enormous beast. It licked me.
Okay! Okay! I get the message. Next time I'll shave first. <grumble, grumble>

djm

This reminds me of the time I was waiting in line . . . yes, waiting in line again . . . in the grocery store when some guy licked the back of my neck.

I didn't know him, either. Ick.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Ostrich Caller

Re: My rant for the day-carrying small dogs

Post by Ostrich Caller »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: Duuuude, it's, like, L.A. right? Hellllllllo? :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's worse in London. My wife and I were sitting on a park bench in Kensington Park, when along came a nanny, dog in hand and child on leash. One of those Kodak moments without a Kodak. :boggle:
Last edited by Ostrich Caller on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

Lamby wrote:in the grocery store when some guy licked the back of my neck.
Was he clean-shaven? :boggle:

djm
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lambchop wrote:
djm wrote:
Lambchop wrote:I was innocently standing in line to pay for a fish-tank plant when I was . . . snorfled . . . by an enormous beast. It licked me.
Okay! Okay! I get the message. Next time I'll shave first. <grumble, grumble>

djm

This reminds me of the time I was waiting in line . . . yes, waiting in line again . . . in the grocery store when some guy licked the back of my neck.

I didn't know him, either. Ick.
I'm not sure ick is strong enough :o . I had a friend who was sun-bathing at the beach when her big toe was licked by a human. She found it quite disturbing.
djm wrote:
Lamby wrote:in the grocery store when some guy licked the back of my neck.
Was he clean-shaven? :boggle:

djm
djm, are you out of your mind???:boggle: You could get in trouble for doing things like this.! Someone is eventually going to call the police!
djm

Post by djm »

Cynth wrote:are you out of your mind???
Is the sky blue? Does a bear sh!t in the woods? Do chickens have lips? Is the pope a catholic? :boggle:

Questions, questions, questions beleaguring the minds of today's youth.

djm