"uilleann" whistle hybrid...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Re: "uilleann" whistle hybrid...

Post by Tony »

lordofthestrings wrote:http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=49384

I did not know what forum to post this under (check the link, you'll see why)

Its another one of my hybrid "oddities". Let me know what you think!
It's a whistle. More explanation isn't necessary.
itisi

Re: ehh

Post by itisi »

reedbiter wrote: ...ehh..I'd stick my tongue out right back at ye but I can't find the emoticon right emoticon thing... so, as bill the cat would say "phphpht!"
You can always borrow one... Image

As for the set of whistle...
Throw it into loch ness, god knows it needs a real monster.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

Peter Laban wrote:Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I'm wi the nays on this :wink: (and keep Scotland Tidy we don't want yer hybrids in oor lochs)..send it to the Musical Genre Hybridization Forum
I think Peters Fingering chart above for the stick wi a bag o wind attached should be in the instruction manual wi it.
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

That's a very elaborate collection of spitting your tongue out faces you have there Peter...

By the way, what (and maybe who) was that piper doing in that photo? Playing 4 note tunes on the whistle with backup chords on the regs??? Or checking tuning... Beats me.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Oddly enough, I've actually contemplated this idea, a "bag-whistle" so to speak long before I ever saw this. But I never though anybody in the world would actually make one, because to me, what's the point? But, that's just my opinion. It might sound cool with drones, that is to say, "whistle drones." But I think folks at the sessions would give ye a rather funny look... :really:

However, on the personal freetime hobbie side, I'm all for it. Nothing wrong with being a little creative working with your hands and being proud of your creations working the way you want them to.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I am not certain what would be the point in such an instrument.

On the one hand, it doesn't do pipers any good as it does not utilize the same fingering for UPs nor the skilled correspondence between reed, bag and fingers that give piping its "sound".

On the other hand, it doesn't do whistlers a bit of good, as it removes the mouth from the fipple thereby breaking off the relationship between mouth, tongue, cheeks and lungs that give whistling its "sound".

It's value as a novelty, IMHO, is far out weighed by its serious limitations.

However, I can't deny that its creation provided the creator a fair amount of building pleasure... you know, 'idle hands are the tools of the Devil'.
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

Hello all!

Maybe I should say a few words.

This instrument is in no way meant to offend anyone, down play/screw up the premises of pipering/whistling, nor become the next big thing out there. It is surely not meant to replace either the pipes or the whistle. It is simply a different, odd, hybrid-ization of two popular irish instrument principals into one package. It has no distinct advantages over either.

It is, however, quite a lot of fun to play and was much fun (despite swearing, etc.) to create. Like any instrument, it takes getting used to, and my fipple design for this is such that it does not need tonnes of air, and it is remarkable easy to hit second, even third octave notes. Its original point, as I mentioned, was to prove a point, and win a bet that a whistle could be made to play without blowing it with your mouth (or nose, etc., please don't think of other oraphises!).

Its creativity gone wild for certain, and I appoligize if I have offended anyone, and if anyone feels my instrument is an abomination. Take it for what you will, and if need be, with a pillar of salt.

This really is a surly bunch!
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

God bless you, Lord of the Strings! :thumbsup:
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Key_of_D wrote:Oddly enough, I've actually contemplated this idea, a "bag-whistle"
We used the term "bag-whistle" for something totally different in high school...

as to whether you, "the Lord of the Strings" meant to "offend anyone, down play/screw up the premises of pipering/whistling", Don't worry pal, the least little thing sets some people off on this list, then they spend 3 or 4 more posts saying they didn't. But somehow, that's necessary in learning the pipes.

Ennis said it best 7 years learning, 7 years of condescending remarks, 7 years playing.

Timmy
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

Thank you all, for your criticisms, your priases, and your etceteras. It is deeply and genuinly appreciated!
I really think it's a rediculous pile of shight. All the time wasted to make this abomination could have been spent researching real pipemaking
In regards to Mr. D' Arcy's "praise", you can have your opinion. However, you have no idea as to the amount of "real" pipemaking research I have done, and I feel it is unfair to knock me on this with out knowing me. The wants of money and proper tools prevent me from persuing pipemaking, but it is one of my loftiest dreams. I make what I can using what I have, can easily obtain, and the tools available to me. I understand my works are not museum quality, and it is relativly easy for a competent player with a lovely full set of pipes made by a master pipemaker to look down his nose at my efforts. I truly envy you, and do wish you the best. But please do realize that people's dreams and efforts tend to go un noticed, and no everyone is currently doing what they want to be.

Thats all I really want to say about that, and I appoligize for my own surleyness here.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Look, I said above that I don't underestimate the fun of playing or making this. I don't take offence at a yoke like this but don't delude yourself into thinking it is a hybrid of two popular instruments. It's a whistle stuck into a bag, there's nothing there that has anything to do with the pipes or the way they are played. If you stick a carrot in a bag you don't have an 'uilleann carrot' but a carrot stuck into a bag, that's what I was saying. Other than that, fire away and enjoy yourself.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

"Stop yoor sobbing man and take that piece of "shight" wi ye I wantyed to make something useful like"
Image orImageso that it can join ma collection Image at the Viennese Vegetable Orchestra :wink: http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om32400.html
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

a friend's comment:

the laziness o some fowk. maybe he's workin on the self-blawin trumpet
for tired egomaniacs

:lol:
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Lordofthestrings...

man, I'm not sure what's goin on here...
I honestly had no idea this was such an uptight bunch!

I saw nothing in your original post that caused me to think geez, this guy is claiming to be a master pipe craftsman.
In fact, quite the opposite.

sheesh...

Guinness on the house!