My rant for the day-carrying small dogs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Re: My rant for the day-carrying small dogs

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

fel bautista wrote:Is this a new, happening thing?? Can't small animals walk in L.A. any more?
Duuuude, it's, like, L.A. right? Hellllllllo? :lol: :lol: :lol:
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

There's nothing new about it. It just comes and goes into fashion every once in a while. These pocket things have been around for many years. I would take a golden retriever over them any day. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

When I was in college(hard to believe, eh) there was a young lady who insisted (and this is true...) on attending classes accompanied by her macaw, perched on shoulder.
OK, it was an art school...but still... we're talking parrot food in her pockets, poop rag on her shoulder, and (I guess...) typical bird behavior in all its primal splendor.
Thankfully, she only lasted one semester.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think if you had one of those little tiny dogs on a leash and it was walking around where quite a few people were also walking, it might get stepped on. Some of those tiny dogs seem pretty nervous too, probably for good reason, and maybe the owners carry them when there are a lot of people around to keep them from going off the deep end. Or maybe in a store, the little dog could accidentally get crushed by the door closing on it. Oh, the poor little things!

I hadn't realized people actually bought outfits for them however.
I can see little sweaters or coats to keep them warm, but it seems like the
dress thing is going a little too far. It's kind of cute though :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
emmline

Post by emmline »

It would be really hard not to pee on this. I mean, for the doggie. I could resist.
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Cynth wrote:I hadn't realized people actually bought outfits for them however.
One of my kids picked up an outfit at target (their dog clothes are cuter than their people clothes) & stuffed one of our Labs into it. It's hard enough for a Lab to look dignified with those floppy ears and cow-eyes but stuff her into a dinosaur costume and it's downright embarassing. I swear the other dogs were laughing at her.

Seriously, though there are health regs that prohibit animals in places where food is being sold, prepared or served for human consumption. There is is an exception for service dogs. We learned about it when we went through training for a restaurant I worked at in high school. Nowadays, training like that would be rare.....
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

When we were camping last summer, there were these two ladies that each had a couple of those little dogs. One day, they came walking past our campsite, with the dogs in little strollers. My kids just stared at them as they went by (nicely stared...they did say hello as well ;) ). After they were out of earshot, one of the older ones asked me why on earth someone would put a dog into a stroller ? I suppose you had to be there, but I was in hysterics over the whole thing.

:wink:
missy

Post by missy »

oh - izz - you reminded me of something.

I worked at an amusement park in high school and college - part of that time in one of the souvenier shops. There was a very popular ride next to the shop that, at least the first year, the wait would often be over 2 hours.
One hot July day, a couple comes in with one of the park's rented strollers with a pug sitting in it. They position the stroller under one of the air conditioner vents, and tell us "If she wakes up, just say "sit Suzy" and go off to wait on the ride.
She was actually a good dog - just sat there and watch for 2 hours until the people came back.

The park no longer allows animals (except service ones) - there's a kennel at the front gate.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I see this all of the time in Arizona. We are occupied by a lot of what we call "snow birds" who live here during the winter months when it's extremely tame compared to other states and then they move somewhere cooler in the summer when it becomes similar to hell here.
It's just as common to see an elderly woman with a little yapper as it is to see her with a husband or gentleman friend. They take them everywhere because it really is their "companion". When I used to work in retail stores some of the regulars would come in and "introduce" their companions to the employees and would expect you to remember the pups name next time they came in... these dogs really were thier life and they'd take them anywhere they went whether a grocery store, sandwich shop or clothing outlet. Our store had a sign out front that specified only service animals were alowed in but the managers usually had the heart to leave them be as long as we didn't find any "presents" in the aisles or shopping carts that they sat in while "mommy" shopped.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Lambchop wrote: A few weeks ago in Petsmart -- where I realize they're encouraged
Be very careful of purchasing anything from any of the pet store that allows people to bring their dogs into the store.

Yes, there usually is an "accident" station somewhere in the aisles to supply dog owners with free items that can be used to clean up after their dog's "accidents"
but you'll also notice that many of the "accidents" happen at the corners of the aisles and often times absolutely no attempt has been made to clean up the "accident".

If you must shop at one of those stores, choose products stacked above "accident" level
especially if you're shopping for kitty stuff.

Dogs in restaurants? I've seen it in Europe (and cats in Africa, but they were working)
but never in the USA.
In the states I have seen lap dogs sitting in special cloth containers on their "mommies" laps while at the hair dressers while their "mommies" discuss which special food they feed their "baby" so its poop is easier to pick up.
This is nothing new.

I don't think these are the same dogs that are marking the pet store aisles.
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

[/quote](and cats in Africa, but they were working)
I don't think these are the same dogs that are marking the pet store aisles.[/quote]

Working cats- isn't that an oxymoron? Care to elaborate?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

springrobin wrote:
(and cats in Africa, but they were working)
Working cats- isn't that an oxymoron? Care to elaborate?
Mousers.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

Caption:

Get this thing off me right now or kiss those new shoes goodbye!!!"
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

DO...NOT...WANT!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tyler Morris wrote:Image
DO...NOT...WANT!
And that's probably a boy dog.