Should I try to save 10£?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

Ramen noodles if necessary but go for the G. It is a great little whistle.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

CranberryDog wrote: . . . 4 pounds of sirloin steak . . .
An indication of CDog's good, pure and true heart.

You can make chili in any number of ways -- You can do it CDog's style (note the absence of tomatoes and beans), you can do it gonzo's northern boy chili with tomatoes and beans, or you can open up a package of Wick Fowler's fine 2-Alarm Chili kit and follow the instructions.

But fer gawd's sake, use good meat.

If you are using cubed meat, use something that's half-assed edible to start with, like taht sirloin, and not those cheap hunks of cow ass that sell for a buck a pound in the nether regions of the meat case.

If you are using ground meat, get the good, lean 96-4 instead of the pink suet in the 5 pound chub in the freezer section at Walmart. Tha chub stuff is about half grease, the other half being a sordid mixture of pulverized cow rectums, pig scrotums and duck lips.

You start with good meat, you are halfway there. Now then, good meat calls for good seasonings. Don't use "chili seasoning"; it's got salt and pepper and msg and fiberglass and all kinds of adulterants. Either use real chilis like CDog does or seek out some good chili powder. (Here's a hint: it will not come in a can.)

There are some unfortunate, benighted souls in the faraway corners of hell who do not use cumin in their chili. These are the same kind of people who would put cocoa in chili. They are also liars; their feet stink and they beat their cats.

And finally -- the masa does nice stuff. Those who haven't tried it are missing out on something.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I certainly agree about the cumin. There must be cumin. Plenty of it. If it doesn't smell like an armpit, you don't have chili.

I'll have to try the masa. Tell me more.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Nanohedron wrote:I'll have to try the masa. Tell me more.
Get some Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm and follow the directions on the package. It uses a little packet of masa. You can decide whether you like it without having to buy a lifetime supply of masa, which is what a 5-pound sack would be.

You'll also get a pretty decent pot of chili, but it will be very different from Minnesota chili.
Last edited by gonzo914 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm ambidextrous, both in handedness and chili. If I'm cooking for many, I do chili in three parts -- one is meat, chiles (lots of 'em, mostly habs), bouillon, beer, and cumin and herbs. Best cooked a long time, or cooked a couple of hours and then aged in the fridge. The second is veggie -- onions, peppers, chiles, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and herbs. The third is beans with herbs and chili spices. I know vegetarians and people who don't eat beans.

I've tried my hand at some of the unusual chilis. My Cincinnati chili didn't turn out anything like Skyline, but the little kids I made it for (the spaghetti was cut up) liked it.

Since I'm without a kitchen for a month and entertaining (including a vegetarian) this weekend, I might be doing chili.

Or grilled pizza.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

gonzo914 wrote: If you are using ground meat, get the good, lean 96-4 instead of the pink suet in the 5 pound chub in the freezer section at Walmart. Tha chub stuff is about half grease, the other half being a sordid mixture of pulverized cow rectums, pig scrotums and duck lips.

You start with good meat, you are halfway there. Now then, good meat calls for good seasonings. Don't use "chili seasoning"; it's got salt and pepper and msg and fiberglass and all kinds of adulterants. Either use real chilis like CDog does or seek out some good chili powder. (Here's a hint: it will not come in a can.)

There are some unfortunate, benighted souls in the faraway corners of hell who do not use cumin in their chili. These are the same kind of people who would put cocoa in chili. They are also liars; their feet stink and they beat their cats.

And finally -- the masa does nice stuff. Those who haven't tried it are missing out on something.
Never tried masa. I usually just let mine cook down, but since I often have tortilla chips with it, and sometimes serve it a little watery, masa makes a lotta sense. Do you incorporate it like wheat flour, mixed with a little water?

My wife claims to hate cumin. But she loves Indian food and chili. I just don't tell her about the cumin. I don't want to beat my cats, so I've never stopped using cumin.

Ever use chili powder from an Indian market thinking it's American/Mexican chili powder? A tsp is fine for a gallon, but a few Tbsp and it's combustible, and not just on the way out. When they say chilli they mean chile, no cumin, oregano, or any wimpy stuff like that.

For meat, I usually buy whatever roast is on sale -- usually a bottom round or something like that. Once it's got the habs and cumin in it, I think something like sirloin is wasted. It'll all be tender, and something like a bottom round, rump, or other cheap cut, has plenty of flavor. I do trim it well.

Great discussion.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Charlie, I must say I learn everyday. All the best.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

gonzo914 wrote:You'll also get a pretty decent pot of chili, but it will be very different from Minnesota chili.
Fellow Minnesotans take note. As for myself, may I state for the record that I've been around just a little bit, and that Minnesota chili is a source of chagrin to me. I understand and agree that beans are evil, and the peppers should be fresh or dried according to their types if possible. Nevertheless, I remember to compliment the cook and refrain from stooping to berate him or her instead. Mom would kill me if I did the latter and she knew of it. She still inspires awe after lo these many years. The masa's a new thing to me, though. It's not like it's unavailable; you can get it just about anywhere, here. Good info.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

As I've long suspected, you chili people are madder than a bunch of hatters. On the other hand, what with all the garlic and peppers and exotic ingredients, your fipples are probably quite bacteria-free.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

A-Musing wrote:As I've long suspected, you chili people are madder than a bunch of hatters.
The only bunch to equal them are uilleann pipers.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

chas wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:
For meat, I usually buy whatever roast is on sale -- usually a bottom round or something like that. Once it's got the habs and cumin in it, I think something like sirloin is wasted. It'll all be tender, and something like a bottom round, rump, or other cheap cut, has plenty of flavor. I do trim it well.

Great discussion.
I regard sirloin as a good choice for lean meat; and usually it's a little on the tough side. I forgot to mention I am speaking of range fed beef; beef that has not been to a feed lot. We butcher a few steers per year.

My guess is that chili's raison d'etre was to preserve and tenderize beef way back in the day when home was on the range.

When I lived on our ranch as a young boy, refrigeration was scarce.

BTW, anyone have any experience with an Alba Alto G whistle?
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Alba Alto G? Saw it fly by on a thread once....
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
CranberryDog

So, in the end I saved 20£.

Post by CranberryDog »

I recieved my Alba Whistles today, a Low D and an Alto G. If that's not good enough, I saved 20 £s.

Thank you Stacey! She paid the shipping.

I haven't had the time to noodle around much with them but I have noodled enough to say they are solid, loud, and have the drain pipe thing going and they tuned right up. More later if you are curious. Best.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

CranberryDog wrote:
chas wrote:I'm sure I knew this in my reckless youth, but the non-drug-and-alcohol-soaked mind of middle age can't call it up. What's the difference between Texas chili and other chili? (I'm not talking some of the unique chilis like New Mexico or Cincinnati.) I presume Texas chili is heavy on the beef, but is there anything else? Cumin, veggies, tabasco peppers, anything like that?
Hello,

Texas Chili has no beans. The way I make involves these basic ingredients: 4 pounds of sirloin steak (sometimes I'll use venison); 20 habenero peppers; 10 pablano peppers; 20 chipolte peppers; 2 chopped onions; 10 minced garlic cloves; oregano; cumino, salt; olive oil and masa flour. I cube the meat and sear in a hot cast iron skillet. I soak the peppers, then puree and then simmer for awhile. When the peppers have combined into a thick sauce, I add the spices, onions and garlic. Then I add the meat and simmer for a few hours. I'll add the masa flour if I need to thicken. This will definitely make the top of your head sweat but should not cause respiratory failure.

That's about it. Of course there are many variations; but this recipe is pretty representative. Best.

Oh my mouth is watering... darn you! Im gonna have to make some now.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
roj
Tell us something.: Have been a member since '07. Just changing my home town in the profile from Austin to FBG, Tx. j.r.

Post by roj »

My favorite thing about Texas chili was the mouth-watering sirloin that had been run through a chili grate. I never actually saw a chili grate, but Dallas-ites I knew insisted that such a device did indeed exist.

The result was pure magic. The meat just melted in your mouth. Beans would have only been in the way.