Flatline – my first near death experience!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Flatline – my first near death experience!

Post by MarcusR »

So they say,
what doesn’t kill you, will make you stronger
I had my first, and hopefully last, near death experience this weekend when I flatlined for a few micro seconds. I had just got back home from a trip down south during Easter, kids were a sleep, most of the luggage had been unpacked, dishwasher and washing machine comfortably humming in the background as I took the opportunity to take out my pipes and work on Banish misfortune.

Maybe it was the name of the tune but my scientific consciousness says; climate change. The weather had been typical for April around here, one day T-shirt and the next ski wear with a bit of rain in between. I should have known better but I guess I was too eager to get some piping practise to realize the consequences.

The first part went ok for a few rounds and I decided to move onto the next part with a few second octave notes in the first bar.
Just as I increased the pressure, maybe a bit too much, was when it all happened :shock:

With a big “pop” the entire mainstock with drones and all just catapulted out of the cup.
Before I even had realized what had happened, the whole thing was just hanging in mid air above our wooden floor. My heart had stopped, my legs frozen stiff and with my right armed strapped and chained to the bellows there was nothing I could do, but to close my eyes and wait for the sound of doomsday when the hollow mainstock was shattered against the floor and the drones cracked.

Even though the flatline condition probably only lasted for a few micro seconds I had time to see myself pick up all the pieces, the expression of billh’s face when I told about the incident and that was left of hundreds of his working hours was now just a bag of splintered wood.
It really is amazing how fast the brain can work, in the short time span between a happily sounding back d, high e, f and g, to total disaster I could clearly see my piping dreams go down the drain.
Then it was thunder.

I slowly opened my eyes and ears. -No, the kids were still asleep. The drones and stock was about a yard to my right, and looked intact. I unstrapped, put the chanter back in the box and kneeled beside the victim of my terrible mistake. It looked ok, it felt ok. No visible dents, the drones were in place, maybe …?
I gave it an overall palpation then put it carefully back in the cup, connected the bellows and gave it some air (first aid for bagpipes).

The bass was alive but way out of tune, the tenor gave a awful squeak but was working. I lowered my hand and placed my index finger above the bottom hole of the baritone drone, nothing.
-Oh please, noooooo!
But as I tapped my finger on the bottom hole a few times, it gave me a good cough and came back to life, rejoice!

I gave it a careful inspection under the kitchen lamp, and I could see no visual evidence of the accident. It was late so I did not dare to unplug the drones and check the guts of the stock for any internal damage, I will do that when I get home from work today. So far I haven’t been able to concentrate on work much today, but I have thought a lot about various safety devices to prevent this in the future. Any advice appreciated!

I'm glad my pipes survived, and when I recovered from the initial chock I realized one important thing about uilleann pipers.

I always thought of the uilleann pipes as a symbol of "the soul of the Irish". And the slightly crouched silhouette of a typical uilleann piper with his head bent down, was related to the collective sadness of the nation that he was carrying on his shoulders.

Here illustrated by Father D'Arcy:

Now I know better, they are all just really, really focused on the mainstock in their lap, makeing sure it’s not leaving the cup. :wink:

I hope you all had a good easter!

Cheers,

MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
mayo_piper

flatline

Post by mayo_piper »

:o :o :o - When i was reading this my blood pressure dropped and my hands became clamy....now that we know how the drones turned out Ok - have you gone to the E/R to see if maybe you had a slight stoke or heart attack?
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: Good description! Scary, innit?

Safety device: Get a bit of twine. Tie a loop around the cup on the bag and tie a loop at the other end around the main stock.

Your other option is to add a bit more thread around the end of the stock where it fits into the cup.

Either way, I'll bet you won't go taking this for granted any more. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

This is the second time in as many days I have pee'd myself. The first time was over hard laughter and this time was out of sheer hard terror. At this rate, I'll be out of clean underware before the weekend.

I'll chalk this incident up to devine intervention by the small band of the wee folk, who followed you home from Eire for the sole purpose of keeping you from trashing your pipes before your first year of caretaking them!

Carefully does it now, Marcus. :wink:
rgouette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

wow, you should just go all the way & do a soundtrack to go with the story!
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Funny, I didn't know you live in Minnesota? We call it (among other curse names) The Projectile Season. Most pipers 'round these here parts play over carpet or a rug until summer comes. If they're smart.

t
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

I once knew a piper who put a little bit of a latex glove in where the stock goes in. Because the latex tended to catch it really worked well.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

"Because the latex tended to catch it"

Funny, it's usually the flute player next to me who catches it.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I certainly know how you must have felt. Once, in a session, while I was playing the whistle, a clumsy bodhrán player grabbed his pint, touched my (keyless) flute and caused it to roll off the table. She survived (kind of), but I guess that was the starting point of the cracking barrel.

That's why my new flute has keys. ;)
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

a clumsy bodhrán player grabbed his pint,
Legally, you are required to shoot the bodhrán player. You could be held on charges for failing to do so. I would never repeat this story.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Dammit. :x

:lol:
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Marcus,
This is the price you pay for not posting any clips yet of that wonderful set!!! :swear:

Glad, everything turned out okay, both for the pipes and you! :D

For your penance, a jig and a reel would be in order I think...What say you?
Get down on your knees and thank God you're on your feet !
brianc

Post by brianc »

Gabriel wrote:I certainly know how you must have felt. Once, in a session, while I was playing the whistle, a clumsy bodhrán player grabbed his pint, touched my (keyless) flute and caused it to roll off the table. She survived (kind of), but I guess that was the starting point of the cracking barrel.

That's why my new flute has keys. ;)

Oh - "she" meaning the flute.

But did the bodhrani survive? :swear:
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

brianc wrote:Oh - "she" meaning the flute.
Sure. A bodhrán player is an "it". :lol:
brianc wrote:But did the bodhrani survive? :swear:
Yes...sort of. It payed my pints, and it was okay for me as until then no damage was visible on her...next time, I'll slap it with...well, something. Good for it that there are 300km between us. :x

:wink:
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Just wanted you all to know that the pipes survived, gave them a close inspection yesterday and I seem to have been very, very lucky. :D :D :D
I'll follow your advice there djm, dont want to risk this happening again.
tommykleen wrote:Funny, I didn't know you live in Minnesota? We call it (among other curse names) The Projectile Season. Most pipers 'round these here parts play over carpet or a rug until summer comes. If they're smart.
Tommy, it might be the Minnesota/Scandinavian connection, the curse of the little wee folk of the green isle that still haven't forgot that our ancestors raped and plundered the irish coasts and stole all the good looking fair-haired women :wink:

John O'Gara wrote:Marcus,
This is the price you pay for not posting any clips yet of that wonderful set!!! :swear: ...
For your penance, a jig and a reel would be in order I think...What say you?

After I handed over my thesis to be printed I'll devote some time and record something for you John. It truly is an amazing set of pipes Bill made for me, but unfortunately, it will still be many years to come before I can do it justice :oops:

Cheers all!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!