Age Question....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

anniemcu wrote:I am now 53 3/4.
I always thought you were the same age as me. I feel like we have similar aged-souls, or something. That's interesting to know.
rhulsey
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rhulsey »

Piano at 6 or 7, clarinet at 10, whistle late last year at 48.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

My musical education started at age 5 when my mother gave in and started buying me dance lessons (tap, ballet, jazz, folk).
I studied various musical instruments over the years. I have quite an investment in Early Winds.

I'm still dancing, but a while back at age 52 I started to put it on a fiddle.

A few months ago I took up clawhammer banjo with my husband. He thinks I've progressed with it as fast as I have because of all the fiddle experience.
I'm a better dancer than he is too.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cranberry wrote:
anniemcu wrote:I am now 53 3/4.
I always thought you were the same age as me. I feel like we have similar aged-souls, or something. That's interesting to know.
Perhaps our souls have known each other longer than our cyber-selves have... or it could just be that I've never fully grown up. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Started the silver flute at age 11 or thereabouts.

Bought my first tinwhistle (which I still have) at 15. Didn't know any Irish tunes to play on it, though; it would be years later that I first encountered Irish traditional music.

Was about eighteen when I bought my recorders. Was nineteen when I bought my Baroque flute.

--- years pass, when I touched no instrument at all ---

Was 32 when I obtained my old German 8-key and started looking around online for music to play on it, and happened across some Irish trad tunes. Deep inside me something that had been deep asleep for so long yawned, and stretched, and began to awake again.

Was maybe 33 or 34 when Michael Cronnolly heard my recordings on my first pitiful version of my website, took pity on me, and sent me a flute...the generosity of which still just absolutely blows me away.

Was in my late 30's when my wife ordered me a flute from Hammy Hamilton.

Was 40 when I got my Overton, which is to whistles as my Hamilton is to flutes. :)

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
mukade

Post by mukade »

Mukade's musical heritage.

I have always had music around at home.
My father has played guitar for 50 years.
My maternal grandmother was Welsh and sang in the choirs.
My paternal grandfather's instrument was the church organ on which he played a mean version of the Coolin.
My neighbour was a traditional musical instrument player. He still makes Northumbrian pipes, harps and hurdy gurdies.
I have fond memories of sitting the garden in the evening with my father sipping homebrewed ale and watching bats flutter around as we listened to the pipe music float out of the neighbour's workshop.

My own musical journey started at 11 with the clarinet.
I got into Irish music at about 16 and picked up the whistle at 19.
The flute soon followed.
I got my first pipe chanter at 22.

I studied the Shakuhachi for three years from 30 years old.

I can't play any of them well :sniffle:

Mukade
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Started guitar at 11, tin whistle at about 40, mandolin at about 45.

Mando and whistle are my favourites. I am now 47.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Drums at 12.
Re****der at 13
Harmonica at 15
Flute at 18

Mandolin 32 or so. Since aborted.

Hammered dulcimer/autoharp at 41.
Tin whistle 42 or so
Mountain dulcimer 45.
Ukelele 45. (just part time goofing off)

Of these I play the flute and harmonica quite well thanks.
Autoharp not as well but fairly well.
Hammered dulcimer less skillful
Mountain dulcimer even less skillful which is why I'm going to Kentucky Music Week this year!!!!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

Recorder: sometime in high school (but didn't get serious until mid 30's).

Whistle: 40

Folk harp: 42 (2 months ago)

Irish flute: still trying to pick it up...
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Nylon string guitar at 21
Broke my wrist at 42, not much guitar after that
Whistle at 48. Still not too good
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Whistle, 13-14 (can't remember exactly)

Lever harp, 44 (been playing for just a little over a year)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Piano at 10, stopped after 2 years.
Saxophone at 11.
Whistle at 17.
Flute at 19.

I've left out a lot of instruments I don't play anymore. Or that I haven't devoted any significant amount of time to.

I'll be 20 in August! I'm excited!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

uilleann pipes, 2003 even though I got practice set in 1978 or so
fiddle, 2001 although I've played it since the early 80s, didn't get serious on it till 2001

Wished I took them more seriously when I started. Currently 59 and moving forward.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Whistle and Mandolin at 14
Flute at 15
Bouzouki at 17

I am 18 now.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I started guitar lessons when I was 9 or 10. I started on a steel-string Harmony arch top guitar and progressed to a Gibson electric guitar. My teacher for 3-4 years was an accordion teacher who couldn't play the guitar. I progressed until I was able to play the electric guitar in a band for my high school prom. In college I became interested in classical music, so I taught myself how to play the classical guitar, using my fingers to pick the nylon strings rather than a pick, which I had always used. In Tucson, as one of the founding members of the Tucson Classical Guitar Society, I performed in several concerts given by members of the society.

In college I also took a course in beginning piano, but that was in the day when low-cost electronic keyboards were not available. To my regret, my piano playing was interrupted by my not having a piano to continue my studies. I now have a beautiful Yamaha keyborad, but I don't have the skills to do with it what I would like to.

Also, in my early twenties I became interested in the recorder. I played mostly soprano and alto recorders, but for awhile I did own a tenor recorder, which, if I remember correctly, was a big reach for my small fingers.

In my forties I started experimenting with other instruments. I tried the banjo and the fiddle. I became good enough on the fiddle that I could play second fiddle in a contra dance band in Tucson. I also have 16" viola and a small cello that I have tuned an octave below the violin.

Then I discovered the mandolin. It is tuned and fingers like the violin, but there is one big difference in that the mandolin has frets. At this time my fiddle playing is not something that I would impose upon others, but my mandolin playing is not bad.

For the past twenty years or so I have also been interested in flutes and whistles. About twelve years ago I started making simple-system flutes from pvc pipe. Currently, I have made over one thousand flutes, and my flutes are being played in many countries around the world.

So at 63, I am still making flutes every day, but I also have time to pick up the many different instruments that fill my living space. I have a African djembe drum beside my computer table. I have Tibetan singing bowls, kalimbas or African thumb harps, a number of harmonicas, Middle Eastern frame drums, digeridoos, shakahachis, quenas, and many other flutes. No matter what my mood is, I have an instrument to try to express my feelings at the moment.