Phrases that Currently Get Up Your Nose

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cynth wrote:"For reals?"???? This needs to be nipped in the bud.
Don't even come near me with that!!!!!
Ha. Just used it over at TEH BOARD, and, moreover, I spelled it "for realz".

I am, like, so being with it. You know?
You are, like, so teh 00ber. (Did I get that right :lol: ?)

"teh" is a real problem for me---as in, I can feel my blood pressure rise when I see it :lol: . When I see "Teh Forum" I expect to encounter discussions about tea or something about Asia. I am so irritated that a common typographical error has become a word! We should be correcting our typographical errors---I can't believe the typographical errors I encounter every day, people aren't even trying! And now the mistakes are turning into words. The whole darned wolrd si teh suck!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:You are, like, so teh 00ber. (Did I get that right :lol: ?)
Better ask Flydood. He's teh roxxorz.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:
He really is. :love:
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

The one phrase that really gets me, is when you're walking along, in a building or something and you pass a coworker and say "hi" and they respond with:
"How ya doin?"

They must not really care about how I'm doin cause they keep walkin and don't give me a chance to answer. Boggles my mind. :boggle:
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Cynth wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Cynth wrote:"For reals?"???? This needs to be nipped in the bud.
Don't even come near me with that!!!!!
Ha. Just used it over at TEH BOARD, and, moreover, I spelled it "for realz".

"teh" is a real problem for me---as in, I can feel my blood pressure rise when I see it :lol: . When I see "Teh Forum" I expect to encounter discussions about tea or something about Asia. I am so irritated that a common typographical error has become a word! We should be correcting our typographical errors---I can't believe the typographical errors I encounter every day, people aren't even trying! And now the mistakes are turning into words. The whole darned wolrd si teh suck!
Oddly, though I began "TEH BOARD," I agree with you. Typos make me mad. But sometimes I allow myself to use them in a sort of ironic way. And I giggle. I dunno. :oops:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

thank god that narly and radical are out of style, those words really got to me. i like the word cool, do you think that will ever go out ?
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Congratulations wrote:
Cynth wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: Ha. Just used it over at TEH BOARD, and, moreover, I spelled it "for realz".

Oddly, though I began "TEH BOARD," I agree with you. Typos make me mad. But sometimes I allow myself to use them in a sort of ironic way. And I giggle. I dunno. :oops:
You know, I almost didn't say what I thought about "teh" because I was afraid that it might seem personally critical of the new forum, which solved such a big problem, and of our valiant veteran who very kindly founded it. I truly don't mean it that way---I'm ranting at the way things are, not at individuals, as I hope you know.

I'm just destined to be a ranter, just like others are changers----it's the role I'm playing in history. Things have always been like this. New crazy words come in, people use them, people rant about them, and then whatever happens, happens. I'm sure most of my vocabulary is the result of new crazy words coming in that more people liked than didn't. And I'm sure I'll be adding new crazy words to my vocabulary that I would have sworn would never cross my lips because I'll get used to hearing them and they'll start to serve purposes for me that aren't as easily or amusingly or precisely served by words I already know.

I must confess that the more examples I read about the use of "teh", the more interesting it has become and I have found myself giggling and repeating examples to my husband who is even more baffled than I am. Repeating examples---very dangerous!

Okay, I'm gonna find some more words that bug me now :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

"Been there, done that" is so dismissive, making me feel that the speaker doesn't want to hear any of my details and has already finished with that topic.

And the term "no-brainer" bugs me.

Jennie
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cranberry wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
He really is. :love:
Aww gee. I'm flattered. :oops: That roxxorz my soxxorz!

Regarding "teh". Cynth, if you think it bothers you, you ought to see my kids when I use "internet speak" in public. :lol: :lol:
I do it just to bother them. What a dad!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

From the Department of Redundancy Department:

ATM machine
CVT transmission

I'm sure there are others in the same vein.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Awesome!
It still annoys me after all these years. You're in awe of the mundane? The word has been leached of any meaning.
I was like Sweeeet.
That's pronounced "schweet" around here as is "Smoke it," in reference to illegal plants.

I enjoy hearing teenaged slang, especially new stuff. I ask my daughter for the definitions. We saw a pickup truck with "Got Slap?" on the side. It's a reference to when a car goes by with a really loud stereo system vibrating the air, especially with big bass beats. It's "slappin.'"

But we're in California. It'll catch up to the rest of you one day. :lol:
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
djm

Post by djm »

I picked up a new favourite this morning: wilfing, or if you prefer, wwilfing, from, "what was I looking for?"; a reference to the amount of time one wastes on-line, started looking for one thing and ended up all over the map.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Robust systems
Plural's
Holistic anything
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

TonyHiggins wrote: But we're in California. It'll catch up to the rest of you one day. :lol:
Tony
And here I thought California was the trend leader here in the West? I mean, you guys have beaches! Arizonians only know those from postcards 8)
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Here's one for ya:

BAM!
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo