Meeting new people

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

izzarina wrote:
Cynth wrote:
izzarina wrote:.....My name is Heather, but most people here just call me Izzy.....
Heather? Since when is your name Heather? I mean, this is the first I ever, ever heard of that :lol: . It's a lovely name. You are a lovely person. But you cannot be Heather---I cannot make that transition, sorry. Most people here call you Izzy because you ARE Izzy! Talk about a disturbing day!
Sigh! Alright....I lied. My name really and truly IS Izzy....my husband's name really and truly IS Mr Izz (just don't tell HIM that)....my kids really and truly are known as the Izzlets...and I really and truly DO live at Casa Izz.

Is that better, Cynth? ;)

:lol:
Hah!!! I knew you were just testing us to make sure we were reading your posts carefully. And yes, this is MUCH better thank you :lol:, Izzy. The world is sicut erat in principio. Whew!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cynth wrote:
izzarina wrote:
Cynth wrote:Heather? Since when is your name Heather? I mean, this is the first I ever, ever heard of that :lol: . It's a lovely name. You are a lovely person. But you cannot be Heather---I cannot make that transition, sorry. Most people here call you Izzy because you ARE Izzy! Talk about a disturbing day!
Sigh! Alright....I lied. My name really and truly IS Izzy....my husband's name really and truly IS Mr Izz (just don't tell HIM that)....my kids really and truly are known as the Izzlets...and I really and truly DO live at Casa Izz.

Is that better, Cynth? ;)

:lol:
Hah!!! I knew you were just testing us to make sure we were reading your posts carefully. And yes, this is MUCH better thank you :lol:, Izzy. The world is sicut erat in principio. Whew!
Don't worry, Cynth...I promise to be Izzy in saecula saeculorum just for you :lol:

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

So, then, Heather...
memenau

Post by memenau »

Hello I'm Mark in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I am usually in the far north working on oilsands projects. In the evenings I'm in a work camp with not much to do so took up the Irish Whistle a years ago. I find that regular practice helps and recording yourself is a humbling experience but lets you hear your own good and bad points.

Glad to see all yourselves around the world whistling away.

,Mark
Never regret yesterday, life is in you today and you make your own tomorrows -LRH
MaryC
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing the whistle is so much easier than playing the accordion: I've never yet found an accordion which would fit into my handbag!

!

Post by MaryC »

I'm Mary .. and since I'm not a lady (ladies don't speak until they're spoken to, and that's not a disease I suffer from!), I need to say that I'm 39.

Right now, I live in New Zealand, a small country to the side of Australia. But soon I'm going on holiday to Canada for a month, then Ireland for two months, and then who knows where I'll end up.

I've been torturing my cat with the whistle for 3-4 years now. I'm pretty bad, but I really love it, so what the heck. This year I've got brave enough to occasionally play along with some simple pieces at church: like someone said, there they've gotta like you :)

I've been wondering where I'll be able to practice when I'm travelling, 'cos I have a feeling that bad whistle-playing won't be appreciated in your average backpacker hostel. So thanks someone for the tip of outside places at airports.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Hi, my name is Mary as well, Mary Gale. My maternal grandparents came from Czechoslovakia and Vienna Austria. My sisters are going there this summer to find our "roots", if they can.

I play flute, and a bit of whistle, but I'm self taught, have a long way to go ! :)

I live in Texas now, have 4 sons, work as a Physician Assistant for a Neurosurgeon, blah blah blah

Glad to meet you!

M
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I'm Tom, 55. Born in Ireland, then lived in Toronto Canada, then Chicago, how Dallas area. Started whistling by accident 5 years ago. Play in a local band called Paddy Gone Wild. Big fan of this forum. I like to share the joy of ITM, especially with young people.
Short bio: 1952-
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jim stone wrote:So, then, Heather...
Now, jim, I just promised poor Cynth (who seemed to almost have a total emotional breakdown over the whole thing) that I would forevermore be Izzy . I'd hate to force her into a relapse...

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

Hi, I am John from Pasadena, California.

I am a newbie whistle player and Irish flute player (a Ralph Sweet version) both of which I have had for a while but have not really played. I have recently decided to commit some time to try and learn to play these wonderful instruments.

I play an end-blown Bulgarian flute called "Kaval" which is about as obscure as is possible for a "kid" born-and-raised in California. It is a challenging instrument to play well and I still have a long way to go. I have been hesitant to start working on playing another type of flute, but I have decided to go ahead and try.

I am going to try and find people in the Los Angeles area to play Irish music with. I intend to attend some of the sessions in this area.

I love to dance too (all kinds).

All the best,

John

P.S. I also have Irish blood from both sides of my family. (no Bulgarian)
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Hi everybody, I'm Ruth. I've checked out the C&F site previously & 'lurked' on the Forum but only recently joined up.
As you can see from my other posts, I'm a newbie with a bad case of WhOA & have a lot to learn about both whistles & playing the whistle. I really enjoy the Forum & like to follow the suggested links. I'm very pleased to have found the Forum & 'met' such a great group of people. It boggles my mind that we are such a physically widespread & diverse group of people. I'm also so pleased to see that there are other people in my agegroup just taking up the whistle.
Bio : I've given up on being a lady so will admit to 63 years old. I was born & brought up around Dublin Ireland but have also lived in Saskatoon, Sask (Canada), Hamilton, Ont (Canada again) & Bermuda. I'm currently based in Poole, Dorset (England). I've got 2 adult children & a little grandaughter (who has already been given her first Meg!). I used to work with computers & currently am a volunteer locally on ESOL & Adult Literacy, with the aim of getting a teaching qualification.
Regards, Ruth

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
- William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
hup2149

Post by hup2149 »

and I'm Michele. 45 yo and from Australia. Just taken up 'whistling' but have been a musician most of my life - a clarinettist by training. Born in Scotland but have been here in Melbourne for over 40 years. I'm a psychologist by day, have 2 teenage daughters (one hates my playing - when I first started she said I sounded like a mouse, now that I am improving she says I sound like a dying mouse!) My husband is tone deaf so he really likes my playing.

I am going to a celtic music camp at the end of the year and am really looking forward to playing with other ITM players - should be a hoot!
Guidus
antispam: No

Post by Guidus »

Welcome Kresimir, I'm Guido from Verona, northern Italy. I'm 41, tall and big-handed, I've played the whistle for three years, the recorder for 30 years. I Like the whistle better. I'm approaching the low D.

As you might have guessed, there are lots of people who'll be glad to give you a hand!
shadeclan

Re: !

Post by shadeclan »

MaryC wrote:I'm Mary .. and since I'm not a lady (ladies don't speak until they're spoken to, and that's not a disease I suffer from!) . . .
I said ladies are not required to give out their ages, not ladies can't give out their ages! :D

Trust me - ladies have no problem speaking out in my household . . . :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Hello, new and seasoned whistlers.
I am James, a grumpy old recluse who whistles for the pure joy of it.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Hey to all ya'll. I live in southwest Va. on what's left of the family farm. Thankfully no longer farming, but do deliver mail to make a living. Play whistles(ITM), grew up with old time music makin', but piano is my primary instrument. Oh, and I play GHBs, and Scottish tenor drum. Glad to meet you new folk, and interesting reading on some of you fellow residents here. I'm the self-proclaimed resident hillbilly, although from this thread, I see there are more than a few of us here. :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West