Phrases that Currently Get Up Your Nose

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I try to avoid people who punctuate everything they say with the "F" word

or tack an "ing" onto the back of it and use it as their adjective of choice.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Cynth wrote:I think "singing from the same hymn book" is cute. I rarely exhort people to get organized, but I'll try to use that sometime.
Sorry to seem too picky, but I don't think you're using that correctly. It does not mean getting organized. It means obeying and following dogma dictated by a leader or group.

I don't ride people too much for interjecting words or phrases such as "like" or "yuh know?" simply because I understand that they are trying to be polite. What they would really like to be inserting is a word similar to "feck". There is undoubtedly nothing that can make the act of speaking more satisfying than to intersperse every phrase with "feck" multiple times. It just fecking seems to fecking enhance the fecking oral stimulation that goes on in the fecking physical act of speaking, for feck's sake. What the feck can be more fecking satisfying than to interject "feck" as many fecking times as one deems suitable, not to mention fecking satisfying, to one's own fecking needs.

Fecking brilliant! :thumbsup:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

straycat82 wrote:So I was like For Reals? and then he was like Totally! .... and then we were like Dude! and then he was like I Know! and then I was like Sweeeet.
Even worse when accompanied by 'goes' for 'says.'

So I was like For Reals? And then he goes like Totally!.... and then we go like Dude! and then I was like Sweeeeet.

I'm gonna wake up sweating in the middle of the night hearing an exchange student with a Californian accent shouting that really loudly at a cell phone.

Another I hate is 'think outside the square' although it made for rare humour once in a football commentary. There is a small square in Australian football in front of the goals. A member of the defending team has to kick the ball into play from inside that chalk square. A player got a bit too preoccupied with who and where he was kicking to and ran past the line before kicking. The commentator: 'The trouble with Jones just then was that he was supposed to think inside the square.'
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

hyldemoer wrote:I try to avoid people who punctuate everything they say with the "F" word

There's a woman around here who does that so much that everyone else refers to her, behind her back of course, as F-ing Lorraine.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Wombat wrote:
hyldemoer wrote:I try to avoid people who punctuate everything they say with the "F" word

There's a woman around here who does that so much that everyone else refers to her, behind her back of course, as F-ing Lorraine.
See, that's funny. :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Wombat wrote:
straycat82 wrote:So I was like For Reals? and then he was like Totally! .... and then we were like Dude! and then he was like I Know! and then I was like Sweeeet.
Even worse when accompanied by 'goes' for 'says.'

So I was like For Reals? And then he goes like Totally!.... and then we go like Dude! and then I was like Sweeeeet.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

That would be why my chronological age doesn't fit my inner age......

Blame it on growing up on the West Coast 8)

M
(I've given up a lot of that since moving South of the Mason Dixon, though. I usually only think in "Dude" these days ! )
missy

Post by missy »

then there are the work related "buzz words"

Global
Moose on the table
Community of Practice
Work process

I really do feel like I work in a Dilbert world at times!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have a couple:

Price point "This car has an attractive price point"-- the addition of "point" is totally useless. Pure corporatese..

24/7 Again, this sounds like a corporate advertising phrase which might be initially cute if you're discussing the hours of a Dunkin Donuts store, but in conversation it irks me.

key as an adjective "In nursing, patient safety is key". I don't know why this bugs me so much, but it really rubs my fur the wrong way. As far as I can tell, "key" in this sense was originally used with "the" as in "In nursing, patient safety is the key to a successful outcome". "The key" serves as a compound noun (just made up that term) denoting something that enables a successful outcome. Without "the", key becomes an adjective as in "...patient safety is important". Sure, the meaning is unambiguous and this usage is widely used and accepted, but one that makes me cringe every time I hear it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jack

Post by Jack »

anniemcu wrote:
Cranberry wrote:"That's so gay." (In using the word "gay" to mean something stupid, horrible, laughable, obscene.)

"That's retarded." (In using the word "retarded" in much the same way.)
Yes, I am quite tired of both of those, and I straighten out anyone foolish enough to say either in front of me. :moreevil:
Whenever I hear either one, I also speak up and my friends accuse me of being a "grammar Nazi," even though that's not a matter of grammar at all.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Cranberry wrote:
anniemcu wrote:
Cranberry wrote:"That's so gay." (In using the word "gay" to mean something stupid, horrible, laughable, obscene.)

"That's retarded." (In using the word "retarded" in much the same way.)
Yes, I am quite tired of both of those, and I straighten out anyone foolish enough to say either in front of me. :moreevil:
Whenever I hear either one, I also speak up and my friends accuse me of being a "grammar Nazi," even though that's not a matter of grammar at all.
Ignore them, and bask in the warmth that comes from having finally found a lovely avatar! :wink: :D
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

I think "singing from the same page" can be taken either way. Depends on the context. I usually hear it being used to express organized

"Breeders", referring to heterosexuals...

"Hearings" referring to those who can hear, that is a new one to me, but it does seem strange usage. Would one accept calling a deaf person Deafings?

Retarded. I hate that term. You retard the spark on your cars ignition system....not people.
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cynth wrote:"For reals?"???? This needs to be nipped in the bud.
Don't even come near me with that!!!!!
Ha. Just used it over at TEH BOARD, and, moreover, I spelled it "for realz".

I am, like, so being with it. You know?
That RAWKS! Fo realz!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

What REALLY gives me the "irrits" is someone who uses f***ing verbs as f***ing nouns.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

What REALLY gives me the "irrits" is someone who uses f***ing verbs as f***ing nouns.
I can't imagine having a conversation with someone using that. I guess we are just backward, but that is not something heard between folks around here. It shows a lack of respect and manners IMHO, but then I'm from a bygone era I suppose. :wink:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

missy wrote:Well, like, there's really not too many, like, words that get me upset, like, I mean, uh, I really don't have many, like, that leave me screaming, or, like, anything, but, like, I , uh, really have a problem, like, with people that, like, have a problem with, like, communicating in sentences, or , like, ones that, like, have to inject, uh, some type of, like, word or something, uh, like, to give their brain, like, time to catch up to their, uh, like, mouth or, uh, something.

And I really hate it when people use inflection to make every thing they say sound like a question???? By going UP at the end????
ummm...Missy....I, like, am not sure, like, what it is, like, you're talking about????

:twisted:

I'm a bit snarky today...it's been a rather trying day and I'm not even supposed to be home right now :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.