What Must Be Endured: A Post by Dale Wisely

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, dear! Dale . . . is it possible they've already heard you play?
Cotelette d'Agneau
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Lambchop wrote:Oh, dear! Dale . . . is it possible they've already heard you play?

Don't go home without them.
Classic Ear Plugs that can be branded for promotional use with your own corporate details.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What Must Be Endured: A Post by Dale Wisely

Post by chrisoff »

Dale wrote:A little gaggle of 13 year old boys who live across the street from me have formed a garage band. Every afternoon when I come home, they have their garage door open and are practicing. The bass player, with his amp cranked up to 11, is trying to learn the bass hook from Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." He's making no progress whatsoever.

This is what must be endured.
This should not be endured, but encouraged! It's how I started playing (although it was Master Of Puppets by Metallica in my friend's garage) in bands.

They are the future of metal \m/ :twisted:
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Dale-- go tell them you think they're really good, and that you want to go as a groupie when they go on tour. If an old fossil like you LIKES them they'll figger they must suck and quit... :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

brewerpaul wrote:Dale-- go tell them you think they're really good, and that you want to go as a groupie when they go on tour. If an old fossil like you LIKES them they'll figger they must suck and quit... :D
... but pack your bags... just in case this idea backfires. :D
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
The Whistle Collector wrote:i think whistle and rock go great together. :D
So does Sinéad O'Connor. :)
Perhaps, but I have to wonder just what she really knows about Rock. :wink:
OI!!!
I play whistle in a rock band!!!
Last edited by Tyler on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cranberry wrote:
The Whistle Collector wrote:i think whistle and rock go great together. :D
So does Sinéad O'Connor. :)
As do the Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Real McKenzies, The Tossers, Black 47, The Mahones, The Skels, Neck, The Barleycorns, Amadan, The Swaggerin Growlers, Flatfoot 56.....
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I was shopping today at a supermarket here in Indianapolis. To my surprise I saw a lady with her son standing in the dairy aisle, and the kid was bouncing his basketball up and down on the tile floor. I almost told the lady that it might be a good idea if the kid left the basketball in the car while they were shopping and that I just wanted to buy my lowfat yogurt in peace without having to listen to the bounce, bounce, bounce, ad infinitum. In other parts of the same store I saw that a horde of kids had descended on the bicycle department and were riding them around the store. I thought to myself, "Let me out of here!"
Parents who are oblivious to their children's obnoxious behavior is a pet peeve of mine. I was reading a public forum about parenting just yesterday and someone was complaining about people bringing loud and badly behaved kids to nice restaurants, theatres, etc. A mother responded by saying that, frankly, she didn't really care what people think about her kids behavior--all she is interested in is her family and her kids. I think that kind of attitude is out there, but more common is just parents who apparently haven't been raised to be considerate of others. I 'm one of those people who think the decline of manners and civility is a really serious problem.
Father Emmet

Re: What Must Be Endured: A Post by Dale Wisely

Post by Father Emmet »

Dale wrote:... boys who live across the street from me have formed a garage band.
... a couple of quarts of beer will fix it so the intonation does not offend your ear ..
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Dale wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:I was shopping today at a supermarket here in Indianapolis. To my surprise I saw a lady with her son standing in the dairy aisle, and the kid was bouncing his basketball up and down on the tile floor. I almost told the lady that it might be a good idea if the kid left the basketball in the car while they were shopping and that I just wanted to buy my lowfat yogurt in peace without having to listen to the bounce, bounce, bounce, ad infinitum. In other parts of the same store I saw that a horde of kids had descended on the bicycle department and were riding them around the store. I thought to myself, "Let me out of here!"
Parents who are oblivious to their children's obnoxious behavior is a pet peeve of mine. I was reading a public forum about parenting just yesterday and someone was complaining about people bringing loud and badly behaved kids to nice restaurants, theatres, etc. A mother responded by saying that, frankly, she didn't really care what people think about her kids behavior--all she is interested in is her family and her kids. I think that kind of attitude is out there, but more common is just parents who apparently haven't been raised to be considerate of others. I 'm one of those people who think the decline of manners and civility is a really serious problem.
I agree whole-heartedly.

In the past few years, I have often seen children actually allowed to run around in restaurants, even to the point of running near the kitchen doors. They are really endangering themselves because the servers are carrying things that could spill on the children and hurt them. The servers can't discipline other people's children and the children are obviously too restless to be in a restaurant---I think the parents sit and talk too long---I can't understand why those parents allow such a situation. I really think the manager could politely tell the parents that the children could get burned by falling hot food (not to mention the server falling down and breaking an ankle and getting burned as well) and that they have to remain seated for their own safety (they wouldn't have to mention that they are driving everyone else crazy).

I have turned into such an old lady. On a number of occasions I've seen some children behave so well or so safely---a group of children having breakfast at a motel, a little girl in a parking lot, etc.----I've actually told the mother (the dad wasn't there or, of course, I would have included him) how impressed I was. The nice behavior was not the behavior of children who had been oppressed, they weren't subdued and unhappy. Everyone was having a good time, they just weren't flinging food around and running and screaming. The parent had done lots of work so that the group could be happy and safe. It seems so dorky, but I want those people to know that their hard work in kindly correcting their children for their own safety and so that they will get along with others has been noticed. I must say that those mothers do get a big smile on their faces and they do say that it has taken a lot of daily hard work. I think a lot of people are too tired to keep up the constant little tiny gentle comments and examples that have to set so that children will learn consideration for others. And I do agree, that many have not been taught to be considerate themselves and so they do not even notice that their children are not considerate.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

Cynth wrote:I have often seen children actually allowed to run around in restaurants, even to the point of running near the kitchen doors.
This is an old ploy. There is nothing new to it. People encourage their children to run amok in public places, especially in restaurants, to get served faster. It usually works, too. The establishment just wants this trash out as fast as possible.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Dale wrote:Parents who are oblivious to their children's obnoxious behavior is a pet peeve of mine.
One thing I learned while running children rides in an amusement park is that so very often obnoxious children have obnoxious parents and polite children have polite parents.

Remember, it takes a child to raze a village.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

So, Dale, have you asked them to turn it down a little?
My band occasionally practices in a modified bedroom in my basement to which I've tacked carpet padding on the walls and stopped up the windows; I've yet to have a neighbor complain (and my nextdoor neighbor is a big complainer, which really puts me into a fit, cause they're some of the most obnoxious people I've ever met, but that's another thread).
maybe if they knew it was bothering you, and if you broached the subject gently to them (go talk to them about the music they like, comment on their instruments, see if you can get them to talk about the styles you like, etc), they might be motivated to create a room somewhere with some sound barriers in it. Maybe you could even talk them into turning down the volume a little.
From having been a garage punk myself in the late 80s-early 90s, I'd be willing to bet that, from experience ( :P ), they'd be more than willing to cooperate with you once they find out what a cool guy and nice fellow you are.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Perhaps you could ask them to at least close the door?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Cranberry wrote: So does Sinéad O'Connor. :)
Perhaps, but I have to wonder just what she really knows about Rock. :wink:
OI!!!
I play whistle in a rock band!!!
Is your name Tyler "Sinead" Morris? I thought not. :P

Two more words:

Iron Butterfly.