a cute story

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

a cute story

Post by Jack »

Today I was in a thrift store, browsing around like I always do, although I never have much money to spend there.

I found an old Indian bamboo "flute" whistle, and decided to pick it up and try it out.

Keep in mind that I own no whistles and haven't played whistle in months, maybe a year.

I slowly played Oranges and Apples, and realized this whistle was remarkably in tune. Then I went through two rounds of the Ten Penny Bit, rather quickly and with no ornamentation. After I was done playing, I realized beside me, just out of my view, were two young boys, probably 8 and 10 years old. They were watching me the whole time.

After I had finished the last tune, the older one looked up at his dad and said, "DADDY! OH MY GOD! DID YOU HEAR HIM? HE'S SO GOOD!" Overcome with humility and joy, I smiled and nodded my head to the boys and said a quiet, "Thank you" and their dad whisked them off to someplace else.

The look on the little boys' faces is still with me, hours after it happened. The incident somehow struck a cord in my heart, and I feet God reaching down and touching me right at that moment. It was surreal.

And it's made all the more special because my playing, honestly, actually totally sucks in just about every way.

But I feel like that was a sign for me to start playing seriously again. In those little boys who I didn't know were watching me, I saw something tremendously special. :)
swb

Post by swb »

Right. Here's another story along the same lines. I am a beginner, and self-taught. And was even more so about a year ago when I found myself practicing on the porch with an audience of one: my 7 year old niece.

After listening for a bit she looked at me with a big smile and said: "Wow. You sound just like a CD."

It doesn't get any better than that.
"The more I practice the luckier I git."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

so, did you buy the flute and if you did, what did you pay for it?

our folk group stands in front of the church and when it's communion time, parents will bring their children with them. children will stare at us musicians. i hope some of them grow up to join us.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jack

Post by Jack »

mutepointe wrote:so, did you buy the flute and if you did, what did you pay for it?
Yes. $1 (USD). :)
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I've said this before, but not here, so here goes:

You never know who you touch or influence, but if you reflect on those that have touched you and never knew it, it should give you the perspective to know that you have the ability to change someone's life.

I'm happy you got a little whiff of the ether reserved for God himself.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

That's truely inspiring, Cran. Glad you are going to start playing more again.

I once was practicing at a friend's house out in the country, when the neighbor suddenly drove up and got out rather quickly... I was thinking, :oops: "uh-oh..." but she came especially to *thank* me for playing long enough for her to get her gardening done, and that she'd never enjoyed gardening quite as much as that evening, with the 'concert' providing her background music, and would I please come back again... . :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
gonzo914

Re: a cute story

Post by gonzo914 »

Cranberry wrote:I saw something tremendously special. :)
I sometimes find an out-of-the-way spot to play outside the airport when waiting for a plane, and that 'something tremendously special' is even more tremendously special when what you are attracting is not 8-year-old children, but hot 30-something lady flight attendants and female airport cops, who sometimes smile in an appreciative manner such as no other women have ever smiled at me.

If I only knew what to do with them once I've enticed them in.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jack

Re: a cute story

Post by Jack »

gonzo914 wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I saw something tremendously special. :)
I sometimes find an out-of-the-way spot to play outside the airport when waiting for a plane, and that 'something tremendously special' is even more tremendously special when what you are attracting is not 8-year-old children, but hot 30-something lady flight attendants and female airport cops, who sometimes smile in an appreciative manner such as no other women have ever smiled at me.

If I only knew what to do with them once I've enticed them in.
Don't be silly. ;)
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

that was a good story. i am a preschool teacher and love to play whistle for them at school. i played a little session in front of the whole school st.p's day, and they absolutely loved it. im not that good, but they always beg me to bring the whistle and they are learning so much about it and irish music/history. i know the feeling that you are talking about. thank you for sharing it. :)
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

You sillies! Pass the hat, for cryin out loud!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Good story Cran..
Playing for others is the best thing there is, especially in little surprise ways like in your story. Most people almost never hear live, spontaneous music and it ALWAYS makes them happy.
I'd encourage everyone here to try playing in public, even if you think you're not very good. Try a public park, etc. You'll be amazed and gratified. Be sure to steer them to Chiff and Fipple...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Glad you got some kind of whistle again, Cranberry.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Excellent story, Cran :) I've actually been wondering how long it would be until you picked something up again to play. I'm glad that two small boys were able to remind you how much joy it really does bring.

I never play in public (just the thought gives me the heebies :o ), but I have a pretty large audience here at Casa Izz ;) One time, I was listening to some tune, and trying to play along with it (snort....really, you don't want to know how terrible it was). At one point, I just let the tune play without stopping it, and without me playing. All of a sudden, I hear Mr Izz from the living room: "Wow! All that practicing has really paid off, hasn't it?" Big dork :P But my 8 year old tells me that *I* am the absolute best whistle player in the world. Of course, his worldly experience isn't all that vast, but his compliment was priceless despite that fact :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

We had a young girl, maybe 7, take a stong interest in our playing at the session the other week. She was with several couples dining at a table around the side of the small stage. When we came back from a break she said in a loud voice "Here they come!" hopping back to the table.

While we played she stood awestruck against the closest table. The fiddle player offered her a stool among us but being shy she recoiled at the thought. When we finished the tune I pulled a whistle I had just made out of my roll and placed it on the table in front of her - "Here, this one is yours. Really! Take it, and play it. Then come join us."

She looked like I had given her a treasure, not a bit of plastic pipe.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Carey wrote:When we finished the tune I pulled a whistle I had just made out of my roll and placed it on the table in front of her - "Here, this one is yours. Really! Take it, and play it. Then come join us."

She looked like I had given her a treasure, not a bit of plastic pipe.
You no doubt made a memory that will last an entire lifetime. And it may result in much good music being transmitted through yet another generation! I bet that felt good! :)
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde