Waltons D brass... is a "badly"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AlonE
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Waltons D brass... is a "badly"

Post by AlonE »

hello!

for some days I have been receiving my Walton D brass along with others whistles... the worse problem is that I have received one of whistles than I have listened, its sound is horrible, eighth also they are made uneven and scraped.

my question is:

all Waltons D brass is bad?

thanks!
Last edited by AlonE on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

I have, I think, nine brass Walton Mellow Ds scattered around the house and in various rucksacks. I love their sound and they play wonderfully (after a putty tweak and slightly lengthening the tube to correct the sharp bell note).
Basch

Post by Basch »

My walton and my friends walton sould like crap too. And he tuned his in all possible ways.

It's now m,y sons chew whistle
I don't like sigs
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

I have made tweaked to fill up the hollow of the fuze, but not exactly with Blu-Tack.... I have experimented taking a piece from paper and bathing it in common glue, forming a putty species to fill the orifice, to worked enough good, also I have had to make it harmonious. Also it files windway to do it perhaps but smooth possible, it adds a small plastico.

Nevertheless the notes of 2da eighth continue being bad and sound very under....

that I can do on the matter?

that they recommend to me?

Thank you very much to all!
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Hm I have a Waltons C in brass and it plays just fine.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Walton's C whistles have a reputation for being consistently good - that's certainly held true for my limited sample (1 each brass and nickel).

Walton's Mello D whistles use the same head - except for being slightly sharp on the low D they also have a good reputation (and I like mine)

Walton's standard D whistles . . . aren't universally loved. I hated mine when I first got it, as a beginner - I thought it sounded awful. These days, with more experience under my belt, I can play it and make it sound reasonably good, but it's still my least favorite whistle.

I far prefer Feadog, Generation, Oak, and - yes! - Waltons Mello D.
walrii

Post by walrii »

It might be the old quality control issue with the head. My first whistle was a Walton brass. The whistle sounded scratchy and generally poor but it was probably me more than the whistle at that point. I screwed up the head trying to tweak it then sent the tube to Mac Hoover for a Whitecap. It is a very nice sounding whistle now, in tune. So, the tube seems OK.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Bueno ... Primero, debo advertirte que para muchos anglófonos como los que participan en este foro, la palabra sh*t, aunque sea en forma escondida, es sumamente cruda y muy ofensiva -- mucho más que el vocablo equivalente en español. Así que usándolo en la rúbrica de sujeto tal vez no te ganará la respuesta de simpatía que solicitas. Una diferencia cultural para enterárselo.

Segundo, puede ser que el ejemplar Walton que recibiste tiene un defecto de la boquilla, un problema bien reconicido, como dice walrii. Pero te invito a considerar también la posibilidad que el problema del sonido radica en tu inexperiencia con la técnica de tocar tanto como en el instrumento mismo. Muchos whistles como el Walton D exigen un nivel de control del aliento que no conviene a los principiantes. El mío, efectivamente, suena bastante bien, aunque con voz no muy fuerte.

Te sugero que las modificaciones más importantes serían el tiempo y la práctica. Déjalo por el momento, y tal vez que dentro de un rato hallarás que tu opinión del whistle se habrá amejorado de una manera milagrosa. Ojalá que las limaduras no lo han rendido peor, como lo hize yo una vez sin saber exactamente que hacer. De todos modos, no sería un error muy caro, y puesto que ahora ya tienes los otros ... Buena suerte!

Well ... First, I should warn you that for many English speakers like those here in this forum, the word sh*it, even disguised, can be very crude and offensive -- much more than the equivalent in Spanish. So using it in the subject header might not get you the sympathetic response you're looking for. A cultural difference to be aware of.

Second, it's possible that the Walton you received has a bad mouthpiece, a known problem, as walrii says. But I'd ask you also to consider the possibility that the tone problem stems as much from your inexperience with playing technique as with the instrument itself. Some whistles like the Walton D require a level of breath control that may not be suitable for beginners. Mine, in fact, sounds fairly good, though it's not very loud.

I'd suggest that the most important modifications would be time and practice. Put it aside for the moment, and maybe after a while you'll find that your opinion of the whistle will have magically improved. Hopefully, the filing hasn't made it worse, as I did once without knowing exactly what I was doing. But it's not an expensive mistake, and now that you have the others anyway ... Good luck!
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

OH! moan to have used that word...

it does not imagine that they were so delicate!! ¬¬
johnnyboi

Post by johnnyboi »

No se preocupe, AlonE - toda es f****** s*** de donde vengo :lol:
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

No se preocupe, AlonE - toda es f****** s*** de donde vengo

jajajajaj asi me gusta amigo!!, somos hombres tradicionales despues de todo!!!!

vivan las malas palabras!! xD xD
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

My Walton brass D is among the worst whistles that I have ever owned. It is shrill and out of tune. Putting a Hoover whitecap on it, makes it a sweet sounding instrument. YMMV
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

BillChin wrote:My Walton brass D is among the worst whistles that I have ever owned. It is shrill and out of tune. Putting a Hoover whitecap on it, makes it a sweet sounding instrument. YMMV
Which is sort of interesting as the placing of the holes is not changed so does the tuning change mysteriously or is it just another case of a player not at all able to play the original configuration and complaining it's the whistle's fault?
walrii

Post by walrii »

Peter Laban wrote:
BillChin wrote:My Walton brass D is among the worst whistles that I have ever owned. It is shrill and out of tune. Putting a Hoover whitecap on it, makes it a sweet sounding instrument. YMMV
Which is sort of interesting as the placing of the holes is not changed so does the tuning change mysteriously or is it just another case of a player not at all able to play the original configuration and complaining it's the whistle's fault?
Good point, Peter. I again played my Whitecap/Walton with the tuner, which I did not do prior to posting my earlier comments. I discovered F# is a bit flat (normal on cheapies, I think) though everything else is pretty much in tune. I guess the Whitecap smoothed out the sound and the fingers got used to playing the tube, resulting in a nice whistle.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

walrii wrote:I discovered F# is a bit flat (normal on cheapies, I think) ... .
If it's anywhere between spot on and about 14 cents flat on your tuner, it's not out of tune at all. Some would say, if the F# is spot on with your tuner, it's 13.686 cents out of tune.

A pure major third is 13.686 cents below an equal tempered third. Because whistles are diatonic instruments, they don't have to conform to the arbitrary intervals of equal temperament as a piano or fretted instrument does.

Best wishes,
Jerry