Coyote in Chicago sandwich shop

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Coyote in Chicago sandwich shop

Post by BillChin »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/3251 ... 03.article

I wonder what kind of sandwich meat would be the coyote's favorite?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Awww! That's cute! :)
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

They showed it on the news this evening. Cran, the animal looked cute but in a rather evil way.
Its not the first time they've had coyotes in that part of town. They either follow the river in or the lakeshore. That's the same way deer drift into the city.

They had a coyote living on the grounds of the water filtration plant next to Navy Pier for quite a while.
First all the wild rabbits disappeared then the geese and ducks were gone.

They caught a coyote in my NW side neighborhood last year. It got here probably by way of the river.

There's a coyote living in my daughter's western Chicago suburb. She sees it every once in a while. Within weeks of it arriving it had eaten all the neighborhood cats and a few small dogs who'd been left in fenced yards.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

hyldemoer wrote:They showed it on the news this evening. Cran, the animal looked cute but in a rather evil way.
Its not the first time they've had coyotes in that part of town. They either follow the river in or the lakeshore. That's the same way deer drift into the city.

They had a coyote living on the grounds of the water filtration plant next to Navy Pier for quite a while.
First all the wild rabbits disappeared then the geese and ducks were gone.

They caught a coyote in my NW side neighborhood last year. It got here probably by way of the river.

There's a coyote living in my daughter's western Chicago suburb. She sees it every once in a while. Within weeks of it arriving it had eaten all the neighborhood cats and a few small dogs who'd been left in fenced yards.
You know what we call free-roaming cats here in the mountains? Coyote chow.

Seriously, I love seeing (and hearing!) coyotes. Sightings are rare, even here, but we hear them all the time (and sometimes I join in!)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Vancouver has a massive urban coyote population.

In fact, they're booming all across north america. Coyotes are adapting to city life.

They're becoming smaller than country coyotes, which is presumably [s]Darwin[/s] Intelligent design in action.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I suppose they closed down the Quizno's for unsanitary conditions (large vermin).

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
missy

Re: Coyote in Chicago sandwich shop

Post by missy »

BillChin wrote:[url]

I wonder what kind of sandwich meat would be the coyote's favorite?
deer
mutton

or, depending on location

Fluffy
Fifi
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

kkrell wrote:I suppose they closed down the Quizno's for unsanitary conditions (large vermin).

Kevin Krell
I was under the assumption that the coyote was there to solve the large vermin problem.

Hey, y'all, y'know this is just the next phase of the Quizno's advertising scheme...
move over "toasty" baby; Toasty Coyote is the new hotness. :wink:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

I'm surprised they haven't come up with a "Road Runner Special"! :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Great name for a reel or a slip jig :D

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

An interesting study of coyotes and geese in Chicago:
http://chicagowildernessmag.org/issues/ ... keout.html
Some general info and tips about living with coyotes:
http://dnr.state.il.us/orc/wildlife/vir ... oyotes.htm
http://www.smithsonianmagazine.com/issu ... php?page=1
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I live in the west and am surrounded by farmland and desert, coyote's are pretty common around here. Ours aren't as large as the one pictured on the news though, I was surprised when I saw how large it was. We can hear them howling in the night time and we see them fairly regularly, though not as much as we used to before they started building more in the area. We also have a ton of jackrabbits... I guess they multiply too quickly for the coyotes to keep them down!
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Coyotes... I live right by the biggest cemetary in the city so it's not terribly uncommon to see them around. Shoulda seen 'em when my husky was in heat, LOL. Can't imagine them going straight into a building though- that's cool! Scary, but cool.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Cynth wrote:An interesting study of coyotes and geese in Chicago:
http://chicagowildernessmag.org/issues/ ... keout.html
Actually, the article is about a study done in Cook county and focuses on some suburbs of Chicago.
There are wildife centers out there where they actively encourage coyotes to live. The one that was caught yesterday is being set to one out there today.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Back in 1997, a young coyote was wandering around downtown Seattle, ran into a building to escape from some crows which were attacking it, and got trapped in an elevator. You can read the story here.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."