Ya'll gotta see this

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ya'll gotta see this

Post by cowtime »

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.sw ... 5665636969

I always wondered how they painted that stuff.....

(composition and what kind of "art" this is is debatable, but it's sure intresting to watch)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

I watched that and thought that guy looked like he was having fun...then noticed he wasn't wearing a mask, and was sure of it...
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

harpmaker wrote:I watched that and thought that guy looked like he was having fun...then noticed he wasn't wearing a mask, and was sure of it...
Yep- all those fumes coming right in his face with that "box" only open to his working side. (we use to get the same way when I worked in a flower shop and it was prom time- spray painting those corsages to match dresses....we'd get plumb silly by the afternoon :P )
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

I used to admire stuff like that. I used to think it was pretty neat. Then I realized that they are able to whip that stuff off so fast because they have done all those moves a million times. They sell cheap and by volume, so they have to pump it out pretty quick. Maybe its me, but when I see guys zap off twenty new paintings in one afternoon, I just can't see that there's any particular fun to it. The creative phase has been left far behind. They're just grinding them out.

And its not just spray paint art. I remember there was a guy who did lots of palette knife stuff of nature scenes at a local Simpson's-Sears store. My mother was really charged with his stuff, so the family got one for her. Later I saw how this guy painted. He literally surrounded himself with easels in the store, with prepared boards of several sizes. The sky had already been sprayed in. He just went from painting to painting with his palette and knife and zapped on virtually the same tree in each one. Then the next tree. Round and round. And man, was he fast! He had them all done in an hour or so.

The end result looked as good as before, but somehow the magic had been taken out of them. I started to recognize the sprayed on sky the repeated trees in each one.

This is art?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

djm wrote:This is art?
naw...Art is my father in law...
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Pretty darned impressive!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

Yeah, it's art. I'd say the speed and showmanship is part of the art. It's street art, like magic, or a juggler, and it's true that he must really crank 'em out...but there's an artistry to it.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Yeah, yeah, but can he do Elvis on velvet?

He does have some sort of ventilation system in that paint booth, maybe a downdraft suction system: look at the big silver duct coming out of the bottom of the booth.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
djm

Post by djm »

brewerpaul wrote:Yeah, yeah, but can he do Elvis on velvet?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

The really impressive part was when he made a blowtorch out of
spraypaint and a lighter. Was he hardening the clearcoat, or what?
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

Wow! that was really cool!
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It was cool but I wish we could see how he handles a different theme. Say a moonlit forest or something.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Rather than "art" , I'd personally call this "skillful technique"- something that most anyone could learn to do, given the time and desire. It reminds me of those guys that were on tv that would crank out a painting in the course of a 30 minute show. They all looked pretty much alike. I would call that too, "skillful technique"-(actually I really call that "hotel/motel art". :P )But, to the thousands who like it , it is art.

As someone who's painted/drawn most all of my life, I don't consider it art , unless it has some amazing skill or is painted and composed in such a way that the more I look , the more there is to see and discover. For me, that's art.
John Foster West
Meadhbh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Meadhbh »

It's amazing to see a piece come together so quickly in front of your eyes. I found myself mesmerized....alas though; it is just not the same as watching Bob Ross and his "happy trees".

:wink:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Meadhbh wrote:It's amazing to see a piece come together so quickly in front of your eyes. I found myself mesmerized....alas though; it is just not the same as watching Bob Ross and his "happy trees".

:wink:
Bob Ross... now that brings a few memories back. But I'll bet Bob didn't get his start in 'tagging' K-Marts and court houses. :lol: