what is this?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Cranberry wrote:Why is two people kissing offensive?
Because it's only their first date.
Cranberry wrote: It's supposed to be sweet/romantic. It's just a kiss.
Looks like a hot tonguie to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that .... on a second date.
mukade

Post by mukade »

I object to this kind of stuff being forced down my throat.

Titter ye not!

Mukade
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

mukade wrote:I object to this kind of stuff being forced down my throat.

Titter ye not!

Mukade

"Homosexuality has always left a nasty taste in my mouth..."
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Cranberry wrote:Why is two people kissing offensive? Other people have had such avatars in the past. It's from a tv show (though I can't remember which one).
Torchwood, it's a Dr Who (new series starts tomorrow!) spinoff.

I think the offensive thing started out as a jokey reference to the amish thread but seems to have gotten serious. Frankly, if you're worried about explaining two guys kissing to your kids then it's you that's got the problem not the person who posted the picture. What are you going to say to them if you walk past it in the street? What if they happen to be channel hopping and start watching Will & Grace?

If you really want to be offended I've got some pictures of two girls kissing on my computer at home that will really give your kids something to think about :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Being a little slow this morning...it's finally dawning on me that if I were Izz, I might object to any picture Cran posted, on general principles...

hence, I've amended my post accordingly. But you're right Cran in that it is not offensive at face value. But neither was Izzy's.
cowtime wrote: I'm not ready to explain to a four year old why there's a picture of two men kissing on the computer.
I would say because they like each other.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

C'mon folks, let's move on shall we? Nothing new here.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

For Mozilla
Tools>Options>Content tab>Load Images Click to off.

In IE
Tools>Internet Options>advanced> scroll down to Multi media click off “Show Pictures”

I hope this tool is of use to some. It has the added benefit of speeding up downloads and reduces resizing/format issues.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

s1m0n wrote:
izzarina wrote:
talasiga wrote:[ A change of picture would be good too.
I have to say I agree with this. Cran, this is a family website. There are quite a few people that could very well be offended by your newest choice in avatar. I really and truly feel that you should change it.
The people who get offended by Cran's avatar need to get over themselves, soonest.

That kind of hatred has no place in any family website, and if that's what they're teaching their family, they should be deeply ashamed of themselves. Hatred is the obscenity, not love.
Of good grief Simon. Why don't YOU get over YOURSELF with this. I am NOT spewing hatred of any sort, and for you to blatantly attempt to make it seem like I am is ridiculous.

You know, I know, and CRAN knows (and more than probably knew this BEFORE he even used it) that his avatar might bring about offense. In lieu of that alone, Cran should not have used that avatar...there should have been some consideration to those that he KNEW would take offense, in the same way that HE demands it of every other person here and then has a hissy fit when we don't comply to his wishes. Many of these same people would prefer not to have pictures of ANYONE kissing in such a way. That is their prerogative. Cran's use of this avatar, ESPECIALLY on the heels of the lovely little controversy he spawned a few days ago, shows that he has absolutely NO regard for any other person on this board except for himself. Woe to ye hypocrites...

So keep your self righteous diatribes to yourself. This has nothing to do with homosexuality, heterosexuality, or sex in general. It has to do with consideration, of which Cran (yet again) has shown he has none of. I, for one, am tired of it, and I'm sure that I'm not alone in that.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'll let it go, but I'd like to be able to defend my comment first, since it's been assumed I'm homophobic, which I'm certainly not. I have made lots of friends in my lifetime,and their sexual orientation has never been a factor.

Cran's avatar is a problem for me for one reason only- I choose to try, and believe me it is very difficult in this day and time, to try to let my grandaughter be a child for as long as I can.This does not include an explanation of anything sexual at the age of four. Which means, that the avatar in question prohibts me from checking this site when she's in the room.

So, my motives are purely selfish, this avatar means less time on this site. :sniffle:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Joseph E. Smith

One last time please, let's move on, OK?
djm

Post by djm »

I, personally, am totally offended that I didn't even notice the avatar. I miss all the good stuff. Why didn't any of you point this out earlier? It strikes me as being totally selfish that you wouldn't point the avatar out at once so I could be appropriately offended in a timely manner. But, ooooooh no, you just had to hog it all to yourselves, didn't you? :really:

You must remember this ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

djm wrote: You must remember this ....
A kiss is just a kiss... :D
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

chrisoff wrote: If you really want to be offended I've got some pictures of two girls kissing on my computer at home that .... :D
I'm feeling the need to be offended, chris :D
I would like to be offended many times, please!

ok, j/k

seriously, if we wanna carry this one on, maybe we could take it to Jared's place, eh?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Nothing new here.
No, unfortunately there isn't. Same old calculating provocation from Cranberry to get a reaction so that he can play the injured party once again. I for one am fed up to the back teeth with his victim mentality.

Cranberry, either grow up or clear off. Your constant whining is one of the worst aspects of this site.

(Oh, and please don't start going on about what a tough life you've had. I'd gladly exchange the childhood I had for yours.)
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Joseph E. Smith

Tyler has a good suggestion, let's (if we have to) continue this discussion at Jared's House of Controversy. :D

Thanks.