I think I have a problem.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sniper

I think I have a problem.....

Post by Sniper »

Hello all! This is my first post to the Chiff & Fipple. It just amazes me that no matter what my interests are, I can always find a forum that encourages my lack of self control and obsessive behavior.

With the passing of St. Patty's Day and my quest for the ultimate Irish Drinking Song Playlist on my iPod. I thought I would like to learn to play the Irish Whistle, it is my nature to do an intensive investigation into everything that interest me. Naturally, I went online to do my research. I found several whistles in the $10-$30 dollar range and thought to myself, "How good can these be? They must be toys!" "I need a real instrument to learn how to play." I decided on a Burke DBSBT- D Brass Session Whistle. The reasons for this decision were, quality, ease of play and they were advertised as "quiet". (I don't want to bother my wife and kids with my bad playing)

I have received my whistle and am amazed at how little breath it takes to make a sound. I'm very impressed with its quality and workmanship.

Now for my "problem". I have an obsessive personality, once I have something in my head; no-one can shake it out. I have had the same experiences with (Guitars, Banjos, Japanese Bamboo Flutes, Radio Control Helicopters, Long Range Precession Rifles, Vintage Hi Fidelity Stereo Components, FJ Cruisers, Large Scale Trains, Telescopes and more!) This is a huge problem, once I decide which item I have to have I will scrimp and save until I get it. Once I do get the item I will play with it until the magic wears off and then I put it away then occasionally I will take it out and tinker with it.

Does anyone else have this problem or am I alone here. Should I seek professional help? Can anyone recommend a good book on how to play the Penny Whistle?

Thanks,

Gary
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Don't what ever you do, plan on playing uilleann pipes :-)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Welcome Sniper, sounds like you are one of us. There are books available, but some of the clan is going to say learn by ear. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Sounds like Michael Burke already gave you the right kind of professional help. :)
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

So far, we haven't run into any obsessive types around here. Let us know how it goes! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
flynnieous

Toys?

Post by flynnieous »

Hey Sniper,

If any of those $10 - $30 whistles were Clarkes, Generations, or Feadogs, they most certainly weren't toys. They might need a little tweaking, but they can be damn fine instruments.
Matt Flynn
Chicago, IL
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hi Sniper,

By choosing the pennywhistle, I think you're cured. It will demand far less of your wallet and the magic never wears off.

To cement the treatment - get into ITM (Irish Trad Music) as quickly as possible. This will ensure a lifetime of continuous improvement and engagement. Go for the comprehensive books such as Geraldine Cotter, Grey Larsen. Mad for Trad etc.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

crookedtune wrote:So far, we haven't run into any obsessive types around here. Let us know how it goes! :lol:
*!cough!*
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

anniemcu wrote:
crookedtune wrote:So far, we haven't run into any obsessive types around here. Let us know how it goes! :lol:
*!cough!*
:lol: :lol: :lol:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
walrii

Re: I think I have a problem.....

Post by walrii »

Sniper wrote:Does anyone else have this problem or am I alone here. Should I seek professional help?
WhOA, big fella, WhOA!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Anglorfin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Anglorfin »

Well it could be a problem always bouncing from one activity to the next all the time. If you keep doing that then you'll never be really great at one thing you'll just have mediocre knowledge or skill about 1,000 things. Which I guess isn't a bad thing but it's definately hard to concentrate on one thing if you got 50 others to keep you busy too.

Search around the web for some good sites about beginner lessons. And although I hear Burke's are excellent for beginners, that doesn't mean the 10$ whistles are crap. Besides why would a beginner want to shell out over 100 dollars on something that they might not stick with? Especially when you know you've got a history of hobby ADD.
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

emmm… I believe that whistles of 10 and 30 dollars is but that good, they are not toys, in fact the majority has of that type of whistles, depends on the player.

In addition I suppose that you have WhoA, the majority has it this way, greetings!
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Welcome to the wacky world of whistlers, Sniper!

When you buy all the whistles you can find and then get 'tired' of them, you can store them at my house free of charge. :D

Good tutorials:

Online: Brother Steve's ; Nigel Gatherer; Whistle This University ... plus several others that can be found.

Books: Lots of good tutorials. Look for one by Bill Ochs, Clare McKenna, Cathal McConnell, Grey Larsen, Andeas Joseph .... among others

Have fun! You've found a wonderful new obsession. :)

Judy
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Welcome Sniper!

I don't think the magic will ever wear off the Burke DBSBT! One of the best whistles on the planet IMHO.
scheky

Post by scheky »

I'm expecting the only reason Mr Laban hasn't replied to this post is that he's attempting to drive nails into his head to relieve the pain. So, to help him out...

Never think of the 10-30 dollar whistles as toys. The masters used them, we all own a few and most of us can make them play swimmingly. Some of us never use anything but (I admit to dabbling into all sorts of whistles myself, but my 8 dollar at the time Oak brand whistle is still among the best sounding ones I own)

That said, welcome to the gang. Don't think for a minute you will be able to resist the temptations of playing your whistle. They are just too addictive. Just wait until you discover LOW WHISTLES...MUHAHAHAHAHA