Fess up!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

izzarina wrote:....
PHEW! I was going to take total offense at this comment (you know, the cow dung part), but then I noticed that you were only referring to the DOODS ......
Just going off at a tangent here (untypically):-

In Hindi (my mother tongue) dood means milk
and, as you know cows make milk (as well as dung)
and when I was a babe I would wail "dood, dood" at my mother
whenever I was hungry.

But Americans are just so far far removed from all things natural
that they refer to guys as doods.

(And spelling it "dude" doesn't alter things)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

So, you're calling everyone who posted in this thread "milk"? Shirley you can come up with a better insult than that.

"Got dood?" Nah, just doesn't work for me...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote: Shirley you can come up with a better insult than that.
Going off on a tangent (very typical for ME :twisted: ), but when did tal change his name to Shirley? Surely I haven't been ignoring him for so long that I missed it....
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

izzarina wrote:
Going off on a tangent (very typical for ME :twisted: ), but when did tal change his name to Shirley? Surely I haven't been ignoring him for so long that I missed it....
Denny

Post by Denny »

Sloodly you jest

nope...not as funny :oops:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Congratulations wrote:Men are six times more likely to be struck by lightning than women. Fact.
It says here they are only four times more likely to be struck.
http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/essd18jun99_1.htm wrote:June 18, 1999: Either lightning is attracted to testosterone, or men spend an inordinate amount of time outdoors swinging metal objects about. Men are struck by lightning four times more often than women.

According to a study entitled "Demographics of U.S. Lightning Casualties and Damages from 1959 - 1994," by Ronald L. Holle and Raúl E. López of the National Severe Storms Laboratory and E. Brian Curran of the National Weather Service, males account for 84% of lightning fatalities and 82% of injuries.
Oh, brother, now look at this:
To avoid being struck by lightning, you should seek shelter when you hear even the faintest thunder. Some of the best places to take refuge are enclosed buildings, or cars and buses (but don't touch the metal!). In case there are no safe spaces nearby, bend into a crouching position until there is a break in the storm.
No one has EVER mentioned to me not to touch the metal in buildings, cars, or buses during a lightning (a word I have apparently been misspelling for my entire life) storm. Like I shouldn't touch the railings in a building? Couldn't I quite easily bump a bit of metal in a car? Couldn't your legs easily touch some metal on a bus? I understand that the metal conducts electricity, but I don't understand why I haven't heard warnings about this before.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:
izzarina wrote:
looks like I picked the wrong day to quit amphetamines.... :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

talasiga wrote:I reckon most of you doods
have missed the irony in my first post
and as for some of your non seqs
they have been about as subtle
as cow dung on a dung heap.

Its funny how if you start a silly topic
you cop a lot of silly posts
and if you start a thoughtful topic
you still cop a lot of silly posts.

I guess it would be silly to expect otherwise.

And no, I am not offended. I am just summarising topic content so far.
I feel more topic starters should do this sort of thing.
You know, like, orienteering the topic, managing it and the like.
Even deleting it.

:devil:
Proverb wrote:The stone falls on the egg: the egg breaks.
The egg falls on the stone: the egg breaks.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Proverb wrote:The stone falls on the egg: the egg breaks.
The egg falls on the stone: the egg breaks.
But it's alright, ma, everybody must get stoned.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Cynth wrote: Oh, brother, now look at this:
To avoid being struck by lightning, you should seek shelter when you hear even the faintest thunder. Some of the best places to take refuge are enclosed buildings, or cars and buses (but don't touch the metal!). In case there are no safe spaces nearby, bend into a crouching position until there is a break in the storm.
No one has EVER mentioned to me not to touch the metal in buildings, cars, or buses during a lightning (a word I have apparently been misspelling for my entire life) storm. Like I shouldn't touch the railings in a building? Couldn't I quite easily bump a bit of metal in a car? Couldn't your legs easily touch some metal on a bus? I understand that the metal conducts electricity, but I don't understand why I haven't heard warnings about this before.
I believe the above is rubbish. You certainly don't have to avoid touching *anything* metal from within a metallic object struck by lightning. If the metal enclosure you are in is sufficiently grounded (even a car's rubber tires sufficient grounding - they'd have to be hundreds feet thick to insulate against a lightning strike!), you may harmlessly touch anything on the *inside* of such a metal enclosure. Anyone who has ever seen a demo of a Van de Graaf generator should believe this (Boston Museum of Science). The current travels to ground on the outside of the conductive object.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Denny

Post by Denny »

correct!

as long as you are part of the problem there is no need for a solution...

ah...that sounds a bit off, eh

what you do not want to do is provide a path to ground from a charged object...
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

Huh? What? ...I'm sorry Tal...were you saying something?
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
Wombat

Re: Fess up!

Post by Wombat »

talasiga wrote: What would happen if I were to kick it tomorrow and I was denied entry to the better place because I didn't know you had been ignoring me?
I'll say this much: it's not rocket science.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Jethro Tull won the 1989 Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance. Seriously.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Congratulations wrote:Jethro Tull won the 1989 Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance. Seriously.
I wonder how many of the folks who voted actually knew that Jethro Tull wasn't the lead singer's name.