Carbon fibre

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
talasiga
antispam: No

Carbon fibre

Post by talasiga »

Pardon me for spelling "fibre" according to Her Majesty's English.

The subject is:-

Anyone know of anyone making
simple system flutes with carbon fibre?

I am not talking MATIT here - they be making Boehm flutes
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Basch

Post by Basch »

I want a carbon whistle. That would be awsome
I don't like sigs
bill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bill »

oops, double post.
Last edited by bill on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
bill

Post by bill »

This might be kind of off-subject, I've never seen any flutes or any woodwinds made out of carbon fiber. I have some experience in building boats with composites and fibre-glass and from what I know, raw carbon fiber can be a pretty big health hazard. I've heard that just to handle the stuff takes alot of protective clothing because the fibers are very stiff and lightwheight and they'll very quickly get into your skin and lungs. Carbon fiber is also ridiculously expensive, but aren't most handmade flutes expensive? A carbon flute would be sweet though.
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

John Coltman's experiments, published in Scientific American Magazine, proved that the construction material of the flute has little influence on sound production.

As A maker of woodwinds, I have found that any vibration felt in the flute body robs energy from the excited air-column. It is the internal physical shape of the instrument and toneholes that determine acoustic perfection. Almost all Acoustic Engineers feel the same.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:John Coltman's experiments, published in Scientific American Magazine, proved that the construction material of the flute has little influence on sound production.

As A maker of woodwinds, I have found that any vibration felt in the flute body robs energy from the excited air-column. It is the internal physical shape of the instrument and toneholes that determine acoustic perfection. Almost all Acoustic Engineers feel the same.
Except for us acoustic physicists who know that the acoustic impedance match, the viscous and thermal effects, while small, do make a difference as well...... :oops:
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:It is the internal physical shape of the instrument and toneholes that determine acoustic perfection. Almost all Acoustic Engineers feel the same.
I've heard that a thousand times and do not agree. Maybe the engineers you're talking about just don't have a musical ear? I don't think the differences are big, but they exist. I've read the article (not very carefully though) and I don't think Mr Coltman really analyses all the sound variables.

I played several examples of the same model of soprano saxophone (yanagisawa) in regular brass, bronze and silver, and recorded them, the same day, in the same room, with the same setup. They do sound different. There are more differences between a brass and a silver sax than between two brass ones. (At the end, I took the brass one, very good horn, it's for sale if anyone's interested ;))

I'm quite sure that if all professional Boehm players use silver flutes it's not only because silver is beautiful.
Thomas-Hastay wrote:As A maker of woodwinds, I have found that any vibration felt in the flute body robs energy from the excited air-column.
I completely agree. And different materials rob it differently. Try Generation whistles in brass or nickel, they sound different. Definitely.
cocusflute

Here we go again....

Post by cocusflute »

John Coltman's experiments ... proved that the construction material of the flute has little influence on sound production.
Here we go again....
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

my experiments have proven that a fluteplayer can sound like a cow, but a cow cannot possibly sound like a fluteplayer who is actually sounding more like a fluteplayer than a cow.
unless it's 'the cow that ate the blanket'. then you have a constipated cow and a fluteplayer without a blanket. which proves cows and fluteplayers really shouldn't hang out together, or at least not try to share the same blankie. but hey sometimes i do get lonely...
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:
Thomas-Hastay wrote:John Coltman's experiments, published in Scientific American Magazine, proved that the construction material of the flute has little influence on sound production.

Except for us acoustic physicists who know that the acoustic impedance match, the viscous and thermal effects, while small, do make a difference as well...... :oops:
Fight! Fight! :twisted:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

bill wrote:This might be kind of off-subject, I've never seen any flutes or any woodwinds made out of carbon fiber.
http://www.matitflutes.com/

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:

We NEED you to finish the concrete flute, so we can settle this once and for all!!!! :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

kkrell wrote:
bill wrote:This might be kind of off-subject, I've never seen any flutes or any woodwinds made out of carbon fiber.

Kevin Krell
They missed a trick here only using plain old carbon fibre, plainly a Diamond or a Buckyball flute would be the bee's bendies.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

treeshark wrote:
kkrell wrote:

Kevin Krell
They missed a trick here only using plain old carbon fibre, plainly a Diamond or a Buckyball flute would be the bee's bendies.
I think you mean buckytubes rather than buckyballs. I think a buckyball (with a buckyfipple), being closed-end, would be more like an ocarina.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Yes, I know you're a newbie here and so I will take some care to politely suggest that when partaking in a topic you might read the first post in the topic and follow any links provided therein. I took some trouuble to provide a link to a carbon fibre maker of Boehm flutes.

As to the other participants who want a bun fight about material differences from material differences, I would like to emphasise that my interest in carbon fibre flutes is prompted by the fact that it is a very strong, durable material and very LIGHT.

The topic is about whether there are any simple flute makers making in carbon fibre. However, I do not wish to be PRESCRIPTIVE about how you all choose to partake in this topic. Have a bun fight if you must. But please, PLEASE, Brer Chiffers, please spell "fibre" according to the Queen's English. If the Finns can do it (Matit website refers, so can you)!
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit