Sam Murray Flute Review (was: oiling headjoints)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Hi guys, I'm getting the first of my "good" wooden flutes today and I'm wondering how do I oil the lined headjoints of flutes, espcially when the interior bore of the headjoint is metal?

Thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eldarion on 2002-10-28 09:59 ]</font>
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Well, the nice thing is, if it's fully-lined, you don't! Or you can't, depending on your point of view.

I just make sure to oil the visible wood at the embouchure, all the endgrains, and the outside. It's that easy, since oiling the silver (or watever metal) tube won't do diddly for the flute.

So what flute are you getting your hands on today?

Stuart
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hey Stuart! Thanks for the reply. Its one less thing for me to do then :smile:
The flute in question is my first in my list for quest for *THE ONE* - a Sam Murray keyless in D.
Incidentally I haven't gotten it yet. Due to some delay on my part its still at the post office..
Steven

Post by Steven »

Eldarion--
How on earth did you manage to NOT go directly to the Post Office, knowing that flute was sitting there waiting for you?? I would have been sitting at their door, waiting for them to open!

Then again, you haven't had anything more to say about it since this morning, so I'm guessing you went and got it and have been busy since then.... When you do come up for air, please do tell us about it!

Steven
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Turns out that the flute is semi-lined, and there's only as much metal in the headjoint as it is required to make a tuning slide. I've tried my bestest not to get any oil onto the inner metal slide while oiling the bore.

I won't make any judgements regarding the tone or the playability of the flute until my embouchure gets more adjusted it. One thing is obvious though, the wood grain is absolutely beautiful! Its dark chocolate brown with black swirls in it, unlike the blackwood I've seen in pictures which look pitch black. The outside is also polished till the black swirls look like they're much more ingrained in the flute. Lovely
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

E!

You finally got that Sam Murray flute. I'd love to try it. Give us a review!
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hi Guys! I was actually intending to write a review in a much later date than this (like a month after) but I'm so ecstatic after my first day of finally "getting it" on the Sam Murray flute. Its been about 2 weeks. Somehow everything aligned today and I got a glimse of the flutes true mantle.

Anyway this flute is inclined to producing that dry, rich tone you hear me raving a lot on the board. Its as dry like a ribbon of highly textured rice paper, or a trickle of flowing desert sand. It doesn't sound like Pratten model flutes sound like on CDs to me. Just really light and dry - the tone is really powerful and projects well. Its an identical tone to Martin Gaffney's Rudall on the WFO CD, or Frankie Gavin's flute.

The low D and E was a bit tricky though, and if you don't tighten up hard enough you might just end up with a weak tone. It certainly took a while working on that. A relatively tight embouchure is definitely a must if you want the strong dry tone on this flute.

And when I did get my embouchure up and going like tonight, this flute really responds very very well. The notes will pop out of the flute and the sound of my cuts amaze me. Really crisp. Also I find that the flute reciprocates very well to breath accents (once I have the right embouchure).

Like I mentioned earlier, the wood grain on the flute is also wonderful. You can still see lovely swirly grains on it despite it being blackwood. Its very slender and light to touch. You can feel high material/tone-volume efficiency ratio as the flute will vibrate.

In conclusion, I think I have a long way to go with exploring this flute and I can imagine using it for the rest of my flute-playing life. Its so perfect for me, in that all the qualitites I am looking for are inherent in the instrument. There is a high possibility for it being "The One" for me. I've got more flutes coming over the next year so I'll get a few more options then.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eldarion on 2002-10-28 10:00 ]</font>
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hey man, don't be stingy: Lay a picture of that beautiful beasty on us.

Loren
Mal

Post by Mal »

Unless its is sealed with a hard finish, a wood surface darkens (oxydizes) as it after being exposed to air. So enjoy that nice grain while you can because my guess is that by next year it is going to look pretty much like any other blackwood flute.

Mal
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Mal speaks the truth.
The nice reddish veins that were in my Grinter when I got it are gone completely.
DOh!
Chris
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

When's that Keyed Grinter going to show up Chris?

Loren
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

On 2002-10-28 16:10, Mal wrote:
Unless its is sealed with a hard finish, a wood surface darkens (oxydizes) as it after being exposed to air. So enjoy that nice grain while you can because my guess is that by next year it is going to look pretty much like any other blackwood flute.
Yes the flute has darkened from when I first received it. I thought it was the oiling the did it at first. Oh well...

Loren I haven't a digital cam. so no pictures.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Loren -
It is "supposed" to be here this November.
Must earn money fast!

Chris