Is "Jig-of-Slurs" HARD, or what!?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Leel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Is "Jig-of-Slurs" HARD, or what!?

Post by Leel »

Love this tune, but whistle (& flute) just don't seem to be coming together very well. :swear:

Is it the tune, or am I a spazz?

suggestions, advise...?
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

It is the tune. I suspect that it may sit easier with a fiddle than with a six-hole wind jobbie.

Just make sure you're playing it in the key that best fits on the whistle/flute.

As far as I recall that still leaves you with a few sequences of notes that don't quite fit into the patterns that your fingers may have got used to if you play ITM. But stick with it, it is indeed a lovely tune.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

I suspect that it may sit easier with a fiddle than with a six-hole wind jobbie.
:lol: :lol:

It may sit easier on an eight hole wind jobbie (GHB/SSP/Border Pipes) as it is a GHB tune.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

It was one of the harder tunes I've learned.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I guess it depends on where you cut. From my view, Gold Ring is harder.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

The Weekenders wrote:I guess it depends on where you cut. From my view, Gold Ring is harder.
Yea - I've given up on Gold Ring about 4 times!

If I get 'slurs' maybe I'll revisit it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I absolutely despise this tune - don't like it in any way, shape or form. I don't care what instrument it's on, it sounds like you're torturing a cat to me... :P

Eric
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Just looked at the tune here:
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/songs/m ... slurs.html
(alas, no whistle at hand at the moment) and can't see why it's called Jig Of Slurs. None are written, which I expected, but I can't even see where they might be appropriate. I'll try it tonight when I get home.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

A "slur" is a GHB term for some ornament or other.

What is hard about the tune? Is it the Bdd Add Bdd Add figure? Or is it the bit that goes GBB Bdd dee e etc.?

The technique that's needed to execute these passages is pretty basic, really. Crack these bits and lots of other jigs will become easier.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

When I was learning it, the A part drove me to greater frustration than similar style tunes did at the time. Naturally now, years later, I don't find it that difficult. I just recall finding it difficult to learn when I was newer at the whistle. I don't remember what specifically tripped me up, just that I would tend to get fumble-fingered on the tune.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i find it somewhat difficult. it is a good challenge never the less.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Not sure what everyone finds challenging about this tune. What I like best about it is the number of parts and the key change in the middle of it. It's actually easier to play it on whistle than on flute (which is what I usually use because it has a stronger sound for this particular tune). On whistle, you can tongue some of the passages that don't sound as well tongued on flute. It's a bit different from most jigs, but IMO is far less challenging than many.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
johnnyboi

Post by johnnyboi »

I play this tune a lot on GHB... if you can get hold of a copy of the music for this instrument it would reveal a lot of the ornamentation you can play. The repeated notes all have taps between them, (on GHB they are called 'slurs' when they go down to a low note rather than just the note below).

Good luck with it, it's not an easy tune, but by no means a finger-breaker :wink:
brianholton

Post by brianholton »

I'd say, if you try to play this tune in the Irish way, it won't work - you have to lean more into the beat, and really play the dots: DA-dit dit DA-dit dit, in the Scottish way. And don't take it too fast either. I like it as a relaxed jig, slow enough to really dance to - not like the breakneck pace that some younger Irish session players take it at.

Two: if you have a D+ you could play it - as the GHB players do - as a three-finger tune (that is, in G on a D whistle). I'll try this on my Silkstone D+ when I get home this evening.

It's fabulous tune for me, but for 30-odd years, I've been consistently forgetting the 3rd part. No idea why.

Dick Gaughan gives the notes on his site, at http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/songs/stav ... slurs.html

The composer - whose name I've just forgotten (blast!) - wrote some cracking good tunes. I think he also wrote Mrs McPherson of Inveran, which is another good challenge for a whistler.

b
Leel

Post by Leel »

Maybe I should explain:

I tend to try my darndest to NOT tounge repeats (doesn't always work :P ).

If I just went tu-tu-tu, I agree, the tune WOULD be easy.

I guess my challenge is to come up with viable non-tounged ornaments.

Crans work in spots, but not everywhere. Rolls here and there, but again, not the all that.

I'd be interested in hearing the tune on pipes, any suggestions?