Outside MY window...!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Outside MY window...!

Post by emmline »

Quite the excitement in our 'burb this morning. Jeff and I were on our way back from walking the dog when the cop cars began zooming by, and the helicopter was circling overhead. Seems the Bank of America, 3 blocks from our house was held up. Last we heard, from my Bro-in-law who was on his way back from a preschool dropoff, is that they shot one perp dead somewhere behind our hardware store, after he first shot a cop. There is quite evidently somebody else on the loose as there are now TWO helicopters circling roughly over my house within a mile or so radius.
I'm glad I have a scary sounding dog.
Here's a pretty bad pic of one of the helicopters hovering over my neighborhood:
Last edited by emmline on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lock the doors and windows Emm. Scary stuff. :shock:
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

:o

Hope they catch them!

Once again I'm glad I live in quaint little Aberdeen. Most bank robberies here involve someone running in, grabbing cash and running out again or junkies with knives getting a few hundred quid. Anything more dramatic than that (although I'm sure being held up with a knife is dramatic for those involved) is rare and usually the work of gangs from elsewhere making a special vist.

Although I did have to phone the police a couple of nights ago as someone was battering hell out of my downstairs neighbour's window and constantly ringing the buzzer. Turned out it was her boyfriend and she'd fallen asleep after a few drinks with the TV on and accidentally locked him out of the flat. I called the cops back and told them not to bother.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Joseph's right - that can be scary stuff.

A few years back my wife and I were woken up at about 1:30 in the morning. There were over a dozen police officers running around with rifles and shotguns - through our front yard, back yard and further down the street. We also had a polic helicopter hovering over our backyard with the spotlight shinning into the trees in the back of our yard.

We, too, had a dog with a big scary bark, but she managed to sleep through the ruckus :o .

Turns out a house was robbed about a block away, the burglars jumped a fence and ran through our neighborhood's backyards when the police showed up at the house they burgled. When I talked with a seemingly in charge officer that night, he said the police didn't realize the area behind our houses was essentially a forest - they never caught the guys.

So definitely keep those doors locked - until you hear they've caught them or enough time has passed that they're not still hiding beneath someone's deck.

Eric
emmline

Post by emmline »

Now the cops are knocking on the doors right across the street.
The dog stays out and alert for now.
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

I go with the lock-up-and-heads-down school of thought. Take care, Emm. :o
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I just hope that's not an Amish-piloted helicopter, or we'll have real trouble on our hands...

I lived in LA for a few years - never a dull moment there, that's for sure. Always a siren, helicopter, or some such!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
emmline

Post by emmline »

rhulsey wrote:I just hope that's not an Amish-piloted helicopter, or we'll have real trouble on our hands...
:lol:
Nor does it appear that the police are armed with pitchforks instead of heat.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:
rhulsey wrote:I just hope that's not an Amish-piloted helicopter, or we'll have real trouble on our hands...
:lol:
Nor does it appear that the police are armed with pitchforks instead of heat.
:lol: Although, those pitchforks can be quite painful, when used correctly...

This whole situation sounds rather scary emm...keeping the dog out sounds like a good thing.

We once had a high speed police chase zoom past our house (when we were still in Ohio). The street we lived on had these huge curves in it (we lived on one of them). The bad guy made the first turn (where our house was), but wasn't so lucky on the second. He crashed into a tree outside of our neighbor's house, right up the street. It was interesting, especially since he went right past our house at about 60 mph, and the speed limit is only 30, and the squealing of tires was exceptionally loud as he went around the curve. Not scary like what you're going through, but that's the closest brush to something even somewhat scary that I can recall at this point ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.