New here from the flat land of potsmokers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

If you're concerned about tuning, it's worth noting that for all the charm of a Shaw whistle, they have (or used to have) a reputation for 'idiosyncratic' tuning.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Basch

Post by Basch »

But at your level, don't expect a different whistle to automatically solve everything! You need time to practice and develop your technique. Then every whistle can sound good, and you can decide which one you prefer.
I know it will not make a difference at my ability to play.
But the generation D just sounds bad. Cracky almost. Even when I just want to hold one tone. I've also tried sanding the mouthpiece (there was a piece of plasic cast in it) and it really didn't work that good. It helpen a bit but it's still cracky. It's just annoying. And what I do know is that something can be verry good but if it's sounds/feels wrong to you, you won't get used to it, whatever you trie.
I've learned that with downhill skateboarding. Wheels that were supposed to be the bee's knees fellt all wrong for me. I just couldn't get used to the feel of 'm. While other sweared by 'm.
The Bd doesn't really seem to have that problem. It's nice and clear. Just harder to play because of it's size.

And about the susato., I also played another "plastic" flute last weekend and it tended to flip over to higer notes pretty quick. Almost without to much extra breath. Will the susato do that too?

ANd how does the Clarke and Shaw compare? Cince they are both cylindrical, metal with a wood plug. Does it play "soft" and breathy as the clarke? Or does it sound louder?
I don't like sigs
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

susato is clear and loud i has been used alot for movie background----the waking of Ned devine they showed it in the movie---ease of breath playing -------as far as the clarke i have only used that one -I like the old fashion look and the old history--it is a perfect quiet training tool for whistle players---it is warm and soft--if you want it softer soak the wood fipple in almond oil and let it dry -------it is good for the wood every now and then---both proven winners---------------i like them better then my overtons---i just sold some overtons on ebay -------my next whistle I am pondering on is the sweetheart pro----------------------
Basch

Post by Basch »

So basicly a Chaw or a Clarke would be the best choice? Esp when not to annoy the wife and neighbours to much?

And with the oil: how do you clean out the ecces oil? And how long do you soak it?
I don't like sigs
Basch

Post by Basch »

So basicly a Chaw or a Clarke would be the best choice? Esp when not to annoy the wife and neighbours to much?

And with the oil: how do you clean out the ecces oil? And how long do you soak it?
I don't like sigs
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I understood your requirement was an "in-tune" whistle. Which I take to mean a whistle that should blow close to the right pitch without effort to make a correction with playing technique. And you are only considering those you listed.

If you want a whistle close to in-tune without you making a little effort to blow it into tune, it will not be a Shaw or a Clarke. You can wander all over a note with either of these whistles.

If you want to make an effort to learn to blow the whistle into tune (and you have a good ear), then a Shaw or a Clarke will have the unique voice of a conical whistle.

If you want a conical whistle that is very nearly in tune with no effort, then you'll want a Hudson Wind.

If you want a whistle that is not too expensive and close to in-tune and has a more traditional whistle sound. then the Dixon will probably be the best of those you mentioned. Of those you didn't mention - a narrow-bore brass O'Brien whistle is nice.

Of course there are many other choices - but don't confuse yourself with choices too soon.

If you need to get another whistle, get the Dixon. Then play the crap out of it for a while. Learn articulation. Learn to bend a note while playing it. Then when you go back and play your Walton and Gen, you will be very surprised about how much "the whistles" have improved.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Basch

Post by Basch »

If you want a whistle close to in-tune without you making a little effort to blow it into tune, it will not be a Shaw or a Clarke. You can wander all over a note with either of these whistles.
I found out that the "problem"with the clarke is not that it's not in tune but just that it's beacuse it's a C.

I probably tend to blow to hard. And A shaw is supposed to require more breath right?

And how much "harder" will a Dixon be to play?

Or should I just go there. Play some whistles and then descide wich I like to play?
I don't like sigs
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Basch wrote:Or should I just ... play some whistles and then descide wich I like to play?
Yes. If you ask 10 different people "what is a good choice of whistle?", you will get 10 different answers.

There are basically 3 main types of whistle design:

1) Conical Bore - Clarke, Sweetone, Shaw, Copeland, etc.
2) Generation Type - Generation, Walton, Feadog, Clare, etc.
3) Cylindrical Bore - Susato, Dixon, Burke, Sindt, etc.

Each type has a different sound and a different feel. Try several of each, and you can decide which you like best.

Keep in mind that #2 (Generation Type) is more or less the standard for whistle education in Ireland, and it's by far the most common. It's the type endorsed by the CCÉ (Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann) for learning and competitions. Many of the best traditional players in the world play them and prefer them -- Mary Bergin, Paddy Moloney, Brid O'Donohue, many others. And many players (including me) consider the ability to produce a good sound with a Generation type whistle as a basic requirement for every competent whistle player.

Free advice, for what it's worth. :-)
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

[quote="Basch"]So basicly a Chaw or a Clarke would be the best choice? Esp when not to annoy the wife and neighbours to much?

And with the oil: how do you clean out the ecces oil? And how long do you soak it?[/quote]

if it is quite and warm ----------------the wife will choose clarke :D ----------i have BOTH :o ------------------------you will both get what you want :D

the oil soak it and let it sit a couple of minutes and shake it and let it dry standing up with the mouthpiece down-it will be real quiet for a couple of days as the excess oil still soaks in
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Basch wrote:Or should I just go there. Play some whistles and then descide wich I like to play?
My strongest advice yet...

Go there, play them, don't listen to me or anyone else for that matter.

It's your whistle and your tune. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

[quote="MTGuru"][quote="Basch"]Or should I just ... play some whistles and then descide wich I like to play?[/quote]
Yes. If you ask 10 different people "what is a good choice of whistle?", you will get 10 different answers.

There are basically 3 main types of whistle design:

1) Conical Bore - Clarke, Sweetone, Shaw, Copeland, etc.
2) Generation Type - Generation, Walton, Feadog, Clare, etc.
3) Cylindrical Bore - Susato, Dixon, Burke, Sindt, etc.

Each type has a different sound and a different feel. Try several of each, and you can decide which you like best.

Keep in mind that #2 (Generation Type) is more or less the standard for whistle education in Ireland, and it's by far the most common. It's the type endorsed by the CCÉ (Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann) for learning and competitions. Many of the best traditional players in the world play them and prefer them -- Mary Bergin, Paddy Moloney, Brid O'Donohue, many others. And many players (including me) consider the ability to produce a good sound with a Generation type whistle as a basic requirement for every competent whistle player.

Free advice, for what it's worth. :-)[/quote]

RIGHT ON BROTHER :D ------------IT IS THE TRUTH-------------- i say buy all three---it only about 35.00-----never enough whistles ---------you are going to want to experiment any way and ruining some whistles is a pre-requisite for whistles :o
Last edited by cavefish on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

I, personally, have never met a Generation I couldn't tolerate. And I've got a couple that I'm really keen on.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Congratulations wrote:I, personally, have never met a Generation I couldn't tolerate. And I've got a couple that I'm really keen on.
I've met one. I once bought this little basmati Eb that was quite possibly the worst musical instrument I've ever played. Aside from that one I love Generations, own about 10 of them and play them all the time.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

MTGuru wrote:Bas, Generation whistles may have some problems, but the tuning is usually not one of them. Most Generations I've played have been well in tune with themselves. As with all whistles, you have to use your breath to control the tuning of each note. That requires skill and practice.

If your Generation is out of tune to concert pitch, you can make it tunable by removing the mouthpiece and adjusting the position. This is easy to do with a very common tweak:
In my experience, I have to agree with what MTGuru said.
Basch wrote:And what I do know is that something can be verry good but if it's sounds/feels wrong to you, you won't get used to it, whatever you trie.
Hmm I'd have to disagree with that. 100%. When I first started whistling I learned to play on a Clarke D Original design, the one with the wood fipple block, and when I first tried a Generation some 8 months later, I hated the thing, I couldn't stand it, I thought the whistle produced a scratchy tone in the upper octave, and the bell note buzzed like a beehive. So I didn't play it, and it sat, and collected dust.

A few years later, I picked up a Feadog D in brass, with the green fipple, at a Highland games, played it for a bit, and thought basically the same as my experience with the Generation before. This lead be to believe that all "Generation style" whistles, (meaning cylindrical bore, plastic fipple head design) were all junk, and I couldn't belive how profession players loved the things. Untill I actually took the time to play it, learn it, practice it etc. And I love my barely tweaked brass Generation D and Feadog D whistles; the only thing I did to them was put some poster tack in the cavity under the windway, that's it. But, I guess you could say I did more then just that minor tweak, I also kinda learned to play the whistle. Which took more then 3-5 weeks or whichever long you've said you've been at it. Even though, I had been playing whistle for about 2 years before I started getting into Generations and Feadogs. So, something to think about I guess... If you were to catch me playing a whistle in D, it will almost 100% of the time, be either my Gen., or my Feadog. The great thing about these whistles, they're dirt cheap.

Clarkes are good for beginners, I'd say once a player has reached an intermediate level, or has shown some serious playability on a Clarke, to then try Feadog's or Gens, but this is strictly my personal opinion and in no way am I saying a person couldn't learn just fine on any other whistle.

Anyways, this has gotten a bit lengthy, but I hope you figure out what works for you. You could always make your whistles!! :D

-Eric
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Speaking of flatlander pot-smokers, an acquaintance from here in Vancouver found himself in Amsterdam a little while ago. He decided to treat himself to what he saw as the deluxe Amsterdam experience.

So he walked into a pot cafe, and told the person behind the bar that he wanted the best in the house--whatever they had that they thought the mostly highly (ha!) off, he wanted some to try.

"Oh yes," the fellow behind the counter said. "We have some excellent marijauna. It's from Sartis!" He sounded almost reverent.

My friend paid for his order and sat down to roll up a sample.

He was in a reflective mood when he fired it up, and he had to agree, it was fine pot, indeed.

But there was something about that name. "Sartis...Sartis." he pondered.

Then he started laughing.

Sartis is a little town outside Chilliwack, here in the Lower Mainland of BC, less than an hour's drive from his home. He flown all the way to Amsterdam to smoke BC bud.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis