Best Bb whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
patrickh

Best Bb whistle

Post by patrickh »

I have come to love playing the Bb whistle. I currently have a Bb Generation, Reyburn and Thin Weasel. All are very lovely but I tend to prefer the sound of the Reyburn in most situations. It has a very balanced tone and moderate volume. The Thin Weasel is loud which can also be good in the right situation.

I am curious what Bb whistles you all prefer? For sound, playability, breath requirements, volume, etc.

Thanks.
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jonharl »

Sindt or Humphrey
Character is the ability to carry out the
commitment long after the mood is gone.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Susato, Generation, Water Weasel, Syn
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I had a perfectly lovely Overton Bb that I now regret selling.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

copeland
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Re: Best Bb whistle

Post by dfernandez77 »

patrickh wrote:I tend to prefer the sound of the Reyburn in most situations. It has a very balanced tone and moderate volume.
I happen to agree with you. Reyburn.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Burke brass and O'Riordan - superb, and very different from each other...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Overton, Generation.
/Bloomfield
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Burke Brass.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I have a Generation Bb nickel tube fitted with a Hoover Whitecap that is superb. Completely changes the character of the whistle (for the better). An inexpensive way of having a great Bb.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Overton bass Bb, Generation brass.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Thin Weasel, Water Weasel. I actually like the Water Weasel A better than the wooden one, but in the case of the Bflat, I like the wooden significantly better, because it has much better balance -- it doesn't have the screaming upper octave that the PVC whistle does. Similar, although not as pronounced as the E whistles.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm with Chas-- my Thin Weasel Bb is probably the best whistle I've ever played, any type, any material, any key. I don't really know what it is but I have an eerie connection with this whistle. I feel like I can actually mold each and every note in the whole range to the exact sound I want at any given moment. Amazing.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I happen to have a bunch of solid Bflats, including O'Riordan Traveler, Copeland, Abell blackwood, Water Weasel, Generations (blue and red tips), Syn, Burke brass, Susato. Not a dud in the bunch. If I had to pick one, it'd be the O'Riordan. WW is a thoroughbred at moderate cost, tremendous value. Gens are both dollar for dollar unbeatable, and the Susato may be the best of that maker line.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

brewerpaul wrote:I'm with Chas-- my Thin Weasel Bb is probably the best whistle I've ever played, any type, any material, any key. I don't really know what it is but I have an eerie connection with this whistle. I feel like I can actually mold each and every note in the whole range to the exact sound I want at any given moment. Amazing.
Your Bb TW is nice. I remember it from the last C&F NE gathering.