St. Pat's Day Sucked

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

glands wrote:A cold mass of dry air fecked up the clime here in Nashville. Pipes were playing like a dream until Friday. Still, I was not about to pass on the opportunity to sit in "The Round" as a guest musician with the pipes at The Bluebird Cafe in Nashville. They didn't behave themselves....regs went out of tune on me and chanter reed got funky..... but I adapted and the pipes were well received.
Lewis, I wished you could've made the Florida Tionol the weekend before, the weather was perfect and so was the event... blew any Paddy's Day event out of the water I have ever known. :D
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

St Patrick's Day?? To be honest, I simply forgot it was on. :D

But hey, today the Hindus celebrated 'Nyepi' which comes from the word 'sepi' which means silence. On Bali everything is closed for the entire day and no one is allowed to do anything, can't even go outside!! Kind of like Sabbath for ultra-orthodox Jews. No playing pipes, nuttin'.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Not too bad a run of gigs for me. Played at the Mayor's Breakfast (he is a BIG fan of the uilleann pipes), and at a bakery (paid AND got a free loaf of guinness-gouda bread :)). I also played a theatre/bar: a six-hour gig (sung to the Gilligan's Island theme). Noisiest gig I have ever played. This event turned out the (curdled) cream of St. Paul's Greenoisie. The colors (greens that do not occur in nature), the costumes (is there any item of apparel that cannot now light up?) and the attachments/appendages (including inflatibles) have reached new highs in lows. I was horrified yet could not look away. I am thinking the gene pool in St. Paul's Irish-American community could use a healthy splash of chlorine.

tommygreen

edited to make comments even pither than before!
Last edited by tommykleen on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

tommykleen wrote:St. Paul could use a little chlorine in the local gene pool I'm a-thinkin'.

tommygreen
.. ya' think? :lol:
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

I had the same dry air to work with as Lewis, but I had invested in a small humidifier that is quiet enough that it doesn't intrude. I made it through three two-hour solo performances, but I'm having to type this message with my nose because my hands have gone off on holiday :lol: The back D was starting to feel weak by the end of the third gig, but I made it through(barely).

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

As usual, sunny warm California weather here and a great St. Pat's Day!

I had three very lucrative gigs for the day.

Uilleann piping at Fibbar Magees pub, highland piping at Rosie McCan's pub, and finally playing uilleann pipes and whistle with a couple of friends at the Fairmont Hotel in downtown.

Between last weekend's playing for the Spirit of Ireland events and this, I made more money in two days than I do in a week of regular work!

If only I could be a full time musician. Yeah, I tried it once but not enough regular gigs.

And, by the way.......as I was playing at the first gig, I decided to play Danny Boy (the tune everyone but Paddy Keeean seems to hate. He told me so). It was amazing, like all of a sudden the crowd woke up and paid attention. Still a big hit.

Crowds still want to hear the old familiar tunes above all.

A tiring day, but very rewarding.

Cheers! Richard
Joseph E. Smith

Richard Katz wrote:
And, by the way.......as I was playing at the first gig, I decided to play Danny Boy (the tune everyone but Paddy Keeean seems to hate. He told me so). It was amazing, like all of a sudden the crowd woke up and paid attention. Still a big hit.
I love the tune as well, a very beautiful air.... I just find myself not caring whether or not I ever hear it again. :lol:

Nice to hear somebody made out like a bandit over the weekend. Good on you Richard!
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Richard Katz wrote:
I get asked to sit in with a group once a year (playing fiddle, no less). In order to fill out the time in their sets I get to do some solo stuff on the pipes. I usually lead off with Danny Boy because, as you noted, it gets the crowd's attention because they're suddenly hearing something familiar. In a similar vein. I followed that up with a set of jigs which included Irish Washerwoman. After that, I was able to have my way with the crowd and play reels and whatever else struck my fancy. All in all, it was a good day for me and the pipes. The only bad moment came when I made eye contact with one of the audience and the whole second part of Carrickfergus disappeared from memory. It finally came back and I was able to end it gracefully, but I swear, I'm going back to the 1000 yd. stare or start playing with my eyes closed.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

My St. Pat's was pretty good. I had a gig with another piper, a piano player, and a bouzoukist, all of whom I love and love to play with. Unfortunatly we were told to be acoustic, and naturally the pub was very noisy, so we couldn't all hear each other too well. But we play together fairly often so we knew what we were doing anyway. My reed was behaving nicely for the first time in several months. :) I got $300 for four hours of playing, with a break in the middle when the weird highland pipers marched into the pub with their drummers and played Scotland the Brave and Amazing Grace and so forth. But they went away and we got back to playing real Irish music.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
tommykleen wrote:St. Paul could use a little chlorine in the local gene pool I'm a-thinkin'.

tommygreen
.. ya' think? :lol:
"Greenoisie". Funny. :lol: I was waiting outside the loading dock of the Landmark Center to keep an eye on the instuments and have a well-deserved smoke when this young chap bedizened in greenery wandered my way with a long plastic - and green - trumpet thingy, blaring away on it at intervals. He blearily accosted me with, "Are you leaving?", and I pleasantly said, "No, I'm arriving." This seemed somehow to hit him harder than he needed, as he just replied, "Oh," and wobbled away.

After that, it was the Pool and Yacht Club, where the old St. Paul Irish money - descendants of the olden-day criminals, politicians, financial barons, and cops - meet in brotherly communion. We even played "When Irish Eyes are Smiling". You never heard such mawk and saccharine.

The place seems rather faded these days. There was one sweet old lady who gave me her last ibuprofen, and upon learning that her people were from Kilkenny, and as she'd never heard it, I told her about the storied Kilkenny cats. She didn't believe me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Richard Katz wrote:
Uilleann piping at Fibbar Magees pub, highland piping at Rosie McCan's pub, and finally playing uilleann pipes and whistle with a couple of friends at the Fairmont Hotel in downtown...

When I was playing with my pal Connor Blaney's band "The Reel Shindig" from Belfast on Friday, we were playing outdoors in a parking lot just down the street from Powell's Books. The sound system was by far the worst I have ever encountered--whenever I'd ask for more pipes in my monitor, I'd get an earful of accordion and feedback. The upshot was that people could hear us from about three blocks away, so we got a lot of curious punters and passers-by. One guy, who had the kind of drunken slur to his voice that you can only get from guzzling antiseptic fluid, came up and requested we do "an Irish song" like "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling." "Nah, we don't know that one," said Connor. The man started to get a bit testy, seeing as how Connor and his band were Irish and he wanted to hear an "Irish" song. "No, I swear, I REALLY don't know that one," said Connor emphatically. This upset the man, but fortunately he had a couple of huge, menacing bouncers to share his feelings with...

So Richard, was that Rosie McCann's in Santa Cruz that you played at? I have fond memories of playing Highland pipes with David Brewer down there in high school. I remember we used to make quite a killing playing out front on the street until the noise violation complaints started rolling in...Does it still have that uniquely strange faux-Irish/Pakistani decor?
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

My St Patricks Day was busy, and rewarding. I taught two of my piping students in the morning, came home in the afternoon for a snooze, and then went to play pipes in a very posh restaurant near Bath. Rather well paid for about 1.5hrs playing. The restaurant was very hot though so I had to do a lot of drone retuning on the fly, so to speak. The money I earned will come in very handy as I'm moving 100 miles east next month to live in Portsmouth in Hampshire.

Slan go foil
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

Actually it was the new Rosie McCann's at Santana Row in San Jose, CA.

I played there for 8 straight months with a friend from Scotland until they got wise to paying us $200 a night (for 2 hours) plus all the drinks and food (for me it was New York steak) we could put away.

They now hire me for special occasions only.

So Richard, was that Rosie McCann's in Santa Cruz that you played at? I have fond memories of playing Highland pipes with David Brewer down there in high school. I remember we used to make quite a killing playing out front on the street until the noise violation complaints started rolling in...Does it still have that uniquely strange faux-Irish/Pakistani decor?

I know David Brewer very well. A good friend and an incredible musician. I am his stand-in at Isle of Light concerts when he is not available (although we have played in concert together as well).

Cheers! Richard
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Yeah, I think Dave played a gig over at Google, pretty nice. Haven't heard how or if it went down though. He's getting better and better on the uilleann pipes every time I hear him play!
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

The St. Patrick's celebration went great here. Played with another piper at the Irish festival. It really blew away some fellow musicians with two uilleann pipers playing a duet. At the pub played for several hours with fiddle and guitar. Crowd there loved the uillean pipes and a when I pulled out the minstrel banjo and boomed away on it, they were in for a shock and another meaning for Irish minstrels...... Ed