The Skill of the Irish

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

The Skill of the Irish

Post by Wombat »

I suppose most of you hadn't noticed, but the world cup cricket finals are on at the moment. For the first time ever, Ireland are participating. Cricket isn't a major sport in Ireland, and even if it were would they have a chance against teams like India who have more fanatical supporters than America has people, probably twice over. So they'd just be making up the numbers, right?

Not quite. Last week Ireland tied with Zimbabwe who play cricket at the highest level. Because of the political turmoil in Zimbabwe surrounding the Mugabe regime, they can't really field anything like their strongest team, but even still, this was a very strong result for Ireland.

It was only the first course. On St. Patrick's day, Ireland beat Pakistan, effectively putting them out of the running. If this means nothing to you, it's rather like Bosnia beating the US at baseball. It's even more meritorious than I have suggested. Ireland's best batsman, Ed Joyce, plays for ... wait for it .... *cough* ... England. If you want to have a high profile professional career, you need to play Test cricket, ie, international cricket at the highest level. Ireland aren't likely to get test status soon although, with the recent results, who knows?

There is a very sad ending to the story. Pakistan has the most fanatical and fickle cricket supporters in the world. The team and their English coach could not have been looking forward to the trip home. Bob Woolmer, the coach died suddenly the day after the match.

I used to share a flat with a friend who opened the batting for the Irish team in the early '80s. I wonder if he ever expected to see this day. I think I'll write to find out.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Indeed.

I came across the result by accident as I was reading up on the Rugby at the time. I can't even remember ever seeing a cricket pitch in Ireland let alone knowing somebody who played the game.

Still and all, a small country like ours takes our victories wherever we can get them so congratulations all round.

Howzat,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

You mean cricket and rugby aren't the same thing? :-?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Congratulations wrote:You mean cricket and rugby aren't the same thing? :-?
You're on a steep learning curve.

In rugby they have much bigger balls. Cricketers also have short legs and sometimes even silly legs but, unlike rugby players, they don't need hookers.

That's not a bad place to start.
Last edited by Wombat on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Scotland (currently the highest ranked associate nation) got destroyed by Australia in their opening game :(

But it's only cricket so who cares? It's a silly game anyway.

Mind you we also lost to France in the rugby at the weekend meaning we finished the 6 nations with the wooden spoon :(

And Aberdeen lost 3-0 to Rangers in Glasgow :cry:

But Scotland are playing Georgia this weekend in the Euro 2008 qualifier so a good result there will make it all better again :D
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Wombat wrote:In rugby they have much bigger balls.
:oops:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Congratulations wrote:
Wombat wrote:In rugby they have much bigger balls.
:oops:
Cricket and rugby terminologies rather lend themselves to double entendre. (In case you hadn't noticed.) There is a great passage in Joyce (James, not Ed) where he seems to be describing a cricket match but it doubles as a piece of lovemaking. Or is it the other way around?
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

So, cricket's that game that you play with a flat bat and both the pitcher and batter wear something like a hockey goal tender's shin guards. Oh yeah, and I heard that the games can go on for days. But do they have hot dogs and beer?
Mike
djm

Post by djm »

burnsbyrne wrote:So, cricket's that game that you play with a flat bat and both the pitcher and batter wear something like a hockey goal tender's shin guards.
No, no, no. That's called grasshopper. :really:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Mind you we also lost to France in the rugby at the weekend meaning we finished the 6 nations with the wooden spoon
Wouldn't that, in the case of Scotland, be the wooden spurtle?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Wombat wrote: In rugby they have much bigger balls. Cricketers also have short legs and sometimes even silly legs...
I suppose that's a good thing. Silly short legs could create an ergonomic nightmare with those "much bigger balls."

Which begs the question, are rugby players bow-legged as a rule?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

It is if you share a flat with a player of either.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

talasiga wrote:
It is if you share a flat with a player of either.
Millions of Indians indistinguishable from rugby players and fans? How interesting.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I found out the news from my next door neighbor, who is from Pakistan, while I was mowing my lawn. He's been following the games on television. All I could say was, "Cricket? Ireland?"
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

It has turned out the Bob Woolmer was strangled just hours after the test match. There were some lugubrious hints about betting and very upset people in the papers.
/Bloomfield