A Whistles - No that's not bad grammar :-)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

My Opinion is . . .

Poll ended at Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:47 pm

Jubilee whistles I've tried are great! :-)
11%
Jubilee whistles I've tried are OK. :-\
33%
Jubilee whistles I've tried are mediocre. :-|
22%
I use mine to beat cats. :-(
22%
Idiot! Just put an extension on a Gen Bb! :-P
11%

Total votes: 9

shadeclan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Whistles - No that's not bad grammar :-)

Post by shadeclan »

I have been looking, on and off, for an "A" whistle for about a year now. I tried to buy a chrome moly Serpent from Bill Wheldon, but he couldn't get it to me before he had to close down his whistle business.

I would like to pick up one from Daniel Bingamon at Jubilee Music. Daniel is a good member of our little community, and Bill speaks highly of his instruments, but nobody ever seems to say much about his whistles here on the board. Any opinions?

I realize that opinion doesn't matter all that much. Nobody ever said much about Bill's whistles, either but the one I tried out, I thought was great. Still, it would be nice to hear a discussion on Jubilee whistles before I hand over my cash. . .
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi shadeclan

You need a - never seen a Bingamon whistle in my life option in the poll :lol: :lol:

My vote would go with a Bleazey A, but at in excess of $300, I doubt you would consider it.
David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Alba and Burke both make fantastic A whistles. And they are worth every penny.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

What Blackhwk said.

If I wanted to keep the cost down I would go with a Susato.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I like my Sindt A. And if you can find a Water Weasel, those are really nice. Don't know about Jubilee As, though.
Last edited by Congratulations on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
benbrad

Susato A

Post by benbrad »

Susato makes very good ABS plastic whistles. I have a D, C, Eb, B, Bb, G, A, and F. Out of all of them the most out of proportion whistle is the A. The bottom hole is the largest I have seen on any of their whistles and I have fairly large hands. It is difficult but not impossible to play. I would reccomend a Chieftain. You can get one for around $120 if you shop around. They are very loud whistles but very well made. I know this has nothing to do with Jibilee but I was just giving my opinion about the Susato that someone else mentioned.
Ben
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

I have a Jubilee in B. I rated it as "okay". It's a nice whistle for what it cost me, pleasant tone, ornaments well, pretty quiet so a good play-in-the-living-room kind of whistle. I've got a lot of whistles so it doesn't get taken out much, but i do enjoy playing it on the occasions when i pull it out of the bag. I've never played it with others so i don't know how well it would carry but i suspect it wouldn't cut through in a session environment. It's got a fairly narrow bore; maybe the A is a larger bore, i don't know.

I have an older Susato A which is a narrow bore -- the bottom octave is really touchy and i have to back way off to get the bell note. It is also fairly quiet; i got a medium-bore Bb Susato recently which has a solid first octave and LOUD as all get-out.
Waterboy

Post by Waterboy »

Mack Hoover's whistles are great. I hesitate to recommend him because I am selfish, but...

http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com/
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

My Chieftain A is fantabulous! I also have the small bore Susato A which is another beauty and I have no problems with it at all.
arnie

Post by arnie »

Overton from Colin Goldie or Bernard Overton, simply the best sound and one of the best whistles. Brian Finnigan of Flook plays them. Too beautiful!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

arnie wrote:Overton from Colin Goldie or Bernard Overton, simply the best sound and one of the best whistles. Brian Finnigan of Flook plays them. Too beautiful!
I have a Goldie A and it's really terrific. In fact, you're welcome to come over and try it sometime.
So far, the Jubilee's I've played have been quite nice. I especially love the Ahava Rabah whistle with it's Eastern modal tuning. Very inexpensive and lots of fun: play your favorite tunes and they come out sounding Arabic or Klezmer!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
DCrom

Re: Susato A

Post by DCrom »

benbrad wrote:Susato makes very good ABS plastic whistles. I have a D, C, Eb, B, Bb, G, A, and F. Out of all of them the most out of proportion whistle is the A. The bottom hole is the largest I have seen on any of their whistles and I have fairly large hands. It is difficult but not impossible to play. I would reccomend a Chieftain. You can get one for around $120 if you shop around. They are very loud whistles but very well made. I know this has nothing to do with Jibilee but I was just giving my opinion about the Susato that someone else mentioned.
I'd second the Chieftain. I also like my (no longer made) Serpent A, but I tend to reserve it for outdoors playing or fast dance music - the Chieftain seems to do better for quiet, slow, tunes and still does a very good job on the loud & fast ones.

If Erle is still making them, a Syn A whistle is another option. They are rather narrow bore for an A whistle, and not quite as responsive for fast tunes, but they have a very quiet, haunting, voice that works very well for slow ones. The price is right, too.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have a very fine copeland A I got from Doc Jones.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Congratulations wrote:And if you can find a Water Weasel, those are really nice. Don't know about Jubilee As, though.
Ditto.
My Water Weasel A does very well.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
shadeclan

Re: Susato A

Post by shadeclan »

benbrad wrote: Susato makes very good ABS plastic whistles. I have a D, C, Eb, B, Bb, G, A, and F. Out of all of them the most out of proportion whistle is the A. The bottom hole is the largest I have seen on any of their whistles and I have fairly large hands. It is difficult but not impossible to play. I would reccomend a Chieftain. You can get one for around $120 if you shop around. They are very loud whistles but very well made. I know this has nothing to do with Jibilee but I was just giving my opinion about the Susato that someone else mentioned.
Ooops - sorry, I forgot to mention that plastic whistles of any make set my teeth on edge - even water weasels. :o That's one of the reasons that I've been looking at Daniel's whistles - he has "A" whistles in brass.

Waterboy wrote: Mack Hoover's whistles are great. I hesitate to recommend him because I am selfish, but...

http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com/
I had forgotten about Mack - his whistles are very reasonably priced and have a pretty good reputation . . .

. . . Still, I can get an "A" from Daniel for a very good price and he will adjust the holes to fit my somewhat smaller size hands.

brewerpaul wrote: . . . I have a Goldie A and it's really terrific. In fact, you're welcome to come over and try it sometime.
So far, the Jubilee's I've played have been quite nice. I especially love the Ahava Rabah whistle with it's Eastern modal tuning. Very inexpensive and lots of fun: play your favorite tunes and they come out sounding Arabic or Klezmer!
Now that you mention it, I do remember some posts regarding some of Daniel's more exotic whistles.
I seem to recall trying out your Overtons last time I was there and I remember liking some of you other whistles better. Besides, if I'm going to shell out that kind of cash, I'd rather have a Busman.

I have been looking for an excuse to come and visit with you again. I want to bring the wife this time so she can hear one of yours.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler