The Song Who's Name Must Not Be Mentioned

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The Song Who's Name Must Not Be Mentioned

Post by daveboling »

Well, St. Patrick's Day is upon us, and I've received notice that I will be asked to play TSWNMNBM at a function at which I will be performing.
I seem to remember a thread (which I have not been able to find in a search) that told the name of the tune to which the lyrics (with some mangling of said tune) of TSWNMNBM was set. Can anyone tell me what tune was the original melody to which the TSWNMNBM was set?

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: The Song Who's Name Must Not Be Mentioned

Post by Nanohedron »

daveboling wrote:Well, St. Patrick's Day is upon us, and I've received notice that I will be asked to play TSWNMNBM at a function at which I will be performing.
I seem to remember a thread (which I have not been able to find in a search) that told the name of the tune to which the lyrics (with some mangling of said tune) of TSWNMNBM was set. Can anyone tell me what tune was the original melody to which the TSWNMNBM was set?

dave boling
Good Lord. There have to be a number of TSWNMNBMs, but I'm guessing you mean

DANNY BOY.

:twisted:

The tune it's sung to is now called Londonderry Air, Air from County Derry, or Derry Air. Let the filthy wag their tongues.

Here's some interesting info:

http://www.standingstones.com/dannyboy.html
Last edited by Nanohedron on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Oh, Darn eBay!
The pipes, the pipes are Pakistanis ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

daveboling wrote:Well, St. Patrick's Day is upon us, and I've received notice that I will be asked to play TSWNMNBM at a function at which I will be performing.

dave boling
Do I recall a poll on this song? I think it showed that a substantial portion of the membership are fond of it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

daveboling wrote:Can anyone tell me what tune was the original melody to which the TSWNMNBM was set?
The original tune which Weatherly reportedly composed and set to his lyrics in 1910 was by all accounts unremarkable, and the song met with no success at all. It was his sister-in-law in America who, two years later, sent him the tune we now associate with it; Weatherly re-published the lyrics with the new melody, and made a small fortune from it.

Commentaries differ, but there seems to be evidence that Derry Air may indeed be an Irish melody.

I've been Googling to see if I could dredge up the very original melody Weatherly composed, but no luck, yet.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

dwinterfield wrote:Do I recall a poll on this song? I think it showed that a substantial portion of the membership are fond of it.
I'm fond of it in direct proportion to the donations to my tip jar. :wink:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Nanohedron wrote:
daveboling wrote:Can anyone tell me what tune was the original melody to which the TSWNMNBM was set?
The original tune which Weatherly reportedly composed and set to his lyrics in 1910 was by all accounts unremarkable, and the song met with no success at all. It was his sister-in-law in America who, two years later, sent him the tune we now associate with it; Weatherly re-published the lyrics with the new melody, and made a small fortune from it.

Commentaries differ, but there seems to be evidence that Derry Air may indeed be an Irish melody.

I've been Googling to see if I could dredge up the very original melody Weatherly composed, but no luck, yet.
"Derry Air" (can anyone say that without laughing?) is based on an Irish dance tune, but it's quite different in execution. If you were to hear the original played, you'd never guess it was meant to be the air for that gawdawful song.

The bottom line is, "Danny Boy" is an English song.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

George Handel is reported to have said, upon hearing the melody, that he'd die content if only he'd written it.

~~

Don't let the existence of a dodgy set of lyrics--or of the theft by someone from another nation--deter you: This is one of the world's great melodies, and deserves every bit of renown it receives for that sake alone.

Disowning the tune because some english lawyer made up a set of lyrics is (almost literally) cutting off your nose to spite your face.

~~

Part of the problem is that the name of the melody either contains the word "London" or turns into 'derriere'. I move that someone hurriedly translate 'Derry Air" into irish gaelic, and that's what we'll all call the melody henceforth.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote: Good Lord. There have to be a number of TSWNMNBMs...
I thought that it was The Unicorn Song.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

Ah yes the Unicorn Song.

I had to sing it in elementary school. I hated it then, still hate it now. Dumb unicorns :P . I normally enjoy Shel Silverstein's work but he should have tossed that POS into the fire as soon as he finished it.

Danny Boy is a positive masterpiece by comparison.
djm

Post by djm »

But if there hadn't been The Unicorn Song there would never have been the Irish Rovers. :lol: It still makes me laugh to see people on here wax lyrical about The Irish Rovers as if this was the trad band to beat them all. :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

NicoMoreno wrote:You mean this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbuRA_D3KU">one</a>?
That is quite possibly the funniest thing in the entire world.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

s1m0n wrote:George Handel is reported to have said, upon hearing the melody, that he'd die content if only he'd written it.

~~

Don't let the existence of a dodgy set of lyrics--or of the theft by someone from another nation--deter you: This is one of the world's great melodies, and deserves every bit of renown it receives for that sake alone.

Disowning the tune because some english lawyer made up a set of lyrics is (almost literally) cutting off your nose to spite your face.

~~

Part of the problem is that the name of the melody either contains the word "London" or turns into 'derriere'. I move that someone hurriedly translate 'Derry Air" into irish gaelic, and that's what we'll all call the melody henceforth.
Fonn Dhoire is what it would be in Irish...pronounced "fon GUR-reh" in the Ulster dialect (appropriately).

I still don't like the tune. The original was fine, but it was reworked so drastically for "Danny Boy" that it no longer sounds even remotely like a real Irish air. It sounds like the romantic, schmaltzy art music typical of the period. I'll take "Airde Cuan" or "Mo Mhuirnín Bán" any day of the week.

Redwolf
Last edited by Redwolf on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!