Help choosing a Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hydromel89
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Help choosing a Low D

Post by hydromel89 »

I currently have a Tony Dixon non tunable Low D in polymer, which I like a lot, but it requires lungs capacity that I don't have (anymore...) :-((

Recently I've bought a low G Alba whistle and really, really, really like its sound.

So I might think of turning toward to an aluminium low D. And that's where my question arises : Which one to choose?

I whish my whistle could be responsive, not necessary very loud, with warm round sound (kind of a wooden whistle/flute sound I imagine), with not too much air requirement.

I have made a short, non exhaustive list of possible whistles : Alba, Chieftain, Kerry Songbird, ... Overton (looks too much for me, poor beginner) ...

Anyone could help me making a choice or give me more advices?
dyersituations
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dyersituations »

The Kerry whistle with black or blue plastic mouthpiece is meant to be an easy-blower. This might be the choice for you. It is also pretty cheap and relatively loud. I prefer the feel of the Chieftain Low D though, which doesn't take too much more air, but is also more expensive. All around, I felt the Kerry with plastic head was a good whistle, and it is how I learned to play low D whistles. I hope this helps.

-Casey
Life is good.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

MK whistles meet all of the aspects you are talking about. They have the greatest backpressure I have ever felt in a Low D, so your air goes further. Nice reedy sound. They are really fine whistles.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

BEC

Post by BEC »

I have not tried many low Ds but I can confirm that the plastic-head Kerry takes less air than another I have tried (O'Brien). The O'Brien takes about as much air as an Aulos Tenor recorder (about the same size, similar windway dimensions).

I am looking forward to trying a Syn low D. His high whistles, which I like very much, have quite a bit of backpressure.
greenspiderweb

Re: Help choosing a Low D

Post by greenspiderweb »

hydromel89 wrote: Recently I've bought a low G Alba whistle and really, really, really like its sound...

...So I might think of turning toward to an aluminium low D. And that's where my question arises : Which one to choose?

...Anyone could help me making a choice or give me more advices?
Well, if you like the Alba Low G that much (and you can handle the breath requirement), why not go with the Alba Low D? All Low D whistles will take a little more air than the higher ones, but with time, practice, and proper breath support, it's usually OK.

If it doesn't work out, then you can sell it and find another-but I would say try the one you love the sound of already (the Alba), first, and see how it goes.

PS Only you can tell if it will work for you by playing it-all the advice you get will be about how it works for others, not you. So, play it, and see!
~~~~
Barry
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

hydro...
You've walked into a WIDE field of possibilities!
The closest thing I have to what you've said is a Bernard Overton Low Eb.
Not loud. Mellow mellow mellow. Nimble handling. Warm, intimate sound. Aluminum. And not a heavy breather.
My Burke Composite Low D is also in the realm of what you request. (Though not alumimnum.)
I'm a small guy, who smoked for 30 years plus...and took up the Low Whistle 9 years ago. At 62, I play only Lows, and somehow come up with the PUFF. Keep at it!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
blackhawk

Re: Help choosing a Low D

Post by blackhawk »

greenspiderweb wrote:
hydromel89 wrote: Recently I've bought a low G Alba whistle and really, really, really like its sound...

...So I might think of turning toward to an aluminium low D. And that's where my question arises : Which one to choose?

...Anyone could help me making a choice or give me more advices?
Well, if you like the Alba Low G that much (and you can handle the breath requirement), why not go with the Alba Low D?
They are very different animals, Barry. I love the Alba low G also (and the A is "to die for"), so I got a low D and borrowed a low F. I didn't like any Alba lower than G because, although the sound is very good, the window is sooooo large that it takes a whole lungful of air to get through a few notes. It would take a major effort to play any slow air, and faster tunes are just out of the question.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Be aware that 'back pressure' means that you blow a smaller amount of air with a lot more force, like blowing through a smaller straw. Takes more gut muscle. The Overtons and Chieftains are in that category. Copelands make you take deep breaths and blow it out in volume. Sounds like you don't want that. I tried a Burke low d once and I seem to recall it was in the middle. One I'd recommend for comfort of playing as well as a nice sound is the Reyburn standard bore. The ones I didn't mention, I haven't tried or have forgotten I tried long ago.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Scott McCallister wrote:MK whistles meet all of the aspects you are talking about. They have the greatest backpressure I have ever felt in a Low D, so your air goes further. Nice reedy sound. They are really fine whistles.
MK will get my vote every time. Not particulary cheap but worth every penny and IMHO the prettiest thing you will ever see.
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Thank you all for advices.

Chieftains, Kerrys and Albas are surely valuable whistles, but I feel the MK could be a definite choice, and might justify the extra bucks (could also be a good motivaiton to put even more effort in playing it)!

When I make up my mind (some day), order then get the whistle, I post my opinion.

Many thanks again.

Pascal.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Pascal...
I love my low whistles, by Burke, Overton, and Copeland. They are brilliant players. Each charming in it's own way. Each a "keeper."

But are any of them "better" than my MK Low D??? NO! If I were forced to keep only ONE whistle, (there'd be some kicking and hollering) but it'd be that one. Misha's work is masterful.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

I've played a number and own both a Susato (had it for about 3 years) and an Alba (for about 8 months). The Susato shreaked on me a lot for the first few months, but now that I'm familiar w/it, it only does so occasionally (which means it's user error).

The Alba on the the other hand has a FANTASTIC sound, but as has been said by others, takes a TON of air. It is really hard to get through a tune without feeling lightheaded. Also, the holes are rather large and the lower reach could be a bit difficult depending on your finger length. I have long fingers, but they are very skinny, so it took some time for me to figure out the best way to cover the holes (frankly, I'm still trying to figure it out). But, that being said, I'm getting used to breathing a lot, so it is rapidly becoming easier.

All in all, I would suggest trying some different low D's out if you can, before buying. I'm very happy w/both of mine, but they are very different animals . . . and so long as you go into it knowing that you will probably be fine w/just about whatever you choose. Some lows just have a sharper learning curve than others.

Best wishes!
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

blackhawk wrote:They are very different animals, Barry. I love the Alba low G also (and the A is "to die for"), so I got a low D and borrowed a low F. I didn't like any Alba lower than G because, although the sound is very good, the window is sooooo large that it takes a whole lungful of air to get through a few notes. It would take a major effort to play any slow air, and faster tunes are just out of the question.
Really? My Alba low F is my whistle to die for, and for me it certainly doesn't require too much air. I also have an Alba low C, and even that one is fair enough, compared to my Kerry Songbird low D, which really required good lungs.

If you're looking for a beginner whistle that requires very little air, why not give the O'Brien low D a try? They're far from pricy.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

I assume you are referring to David O'Brien's Low D whistles;

http://www.obrienwhistles.com/OBPlowd.html

As Cillian O'Briain's are not available any longer, but are now made by Maurice Reviol in New Zealand. As Doc Jones pointed out, these are available from him in the US here:

http://irishflutestore.com/Reviol.html
~~~~
Barry