(yet another) pipe case thread

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

(yet another) pipe case thread

Post by lordofthestrings »

Hi all

I'm sure that there have been at least a bajillion and 7 posts about pipe cases. Here's another :swear:

So...

Any one out there have a spare pipe case lying around they'd wish to part with? I'm seeking one for a 3/4 set, (moderately priced, please!)

Also, anyone out there use a viola case for a pipe case? It seems my set could fit nicely into my viola case, but my viola looks jealous...
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: (yet another) pipe case thread

Post by Uilliam »

lordofthestrings wrote:Hi all

I'm sure that there have been at least a bajillion and 7 posts about pipe cases. Here's another :swear:

So...

Any one out there have a spare pipe case lying around they'd wish to part with? I'm seeking one for a 3/4 set, (moderately priced, please!)

Also, anyone out there use a viola case for a pipe case? It seems my set could fit nicely into my viola case, but my viola looks jealous...
No
Yes
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
SEAGULL
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

Post by SEAGULL »

either modify a viola case, or pad a large tool box. Tool boxes are cheap, and built to last, and closed cell foam is realy cheap at Joanne Fabrics. Just a thought
cormacc

Post by cormacc »

You should be able to fit anything from a practice set up to a full set in B into a fiddle case, provided the bass regulator is detachable ( and your bellows aren't overly large). Just make sure the fiddle case is strong enough to support itself and the weight of a set of pipes when you take all the shaped inserts out of it. A full set without a detachable bass bar can be fit into a Viola case, although you'll have to pop the reed cap off your bass reg and take the reed out.
Beau Comiseau

Re: (yet another) pipe case thread

Post by Beau Comiseau »

lordofthestrings wrote: It seems my set could fit nicely into my viola case, but my viola looks jealous...
You must be a compassionate Lord of the Strings, for a wrathful one would smash this indignant oversized fiddle to pieces for such an infraction! :wink:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I use a pipe major's case like the one sold by Song of the Sea:

http://www.songsea.com/pipesupp.htm#PipeCase

You have to remove the separator for the "storage compartment". It fits my 3/4 set fine without removing the bass drone resonator, although I've a "short" bass drone (about 6" shorter than most).
PJ
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Oops. Double post.
Last edited by PJ on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

& just for giggles I had my friend try & size up his full set against my 'Hard Shell Case ' seen on the same Song of the Sea page, & it won't fit.

Rich
CrackPiper

Post by CrackPiper »

there's a case on e-bay (down in the "e-bay stores" section) It's blue. I have the same one and it fit my O'grady half set pretty nicely (had to take off the bass drone extention but that's it). Now that I've got regs it's been a bit of a problem (having to take off bass reed cap...but since I'm not playing that one yet, not a huge problem). Anyway I think it'd fit a 3/4 set pretty well, and it's fifty some odd bucks so that seem pretty reasonable.

mq
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

One rule (very important): if the case is not sturdy enough to withstand a car running over it, don't buy it. Think of the value of its contents.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Beau Comiseau wrote:One rule (very important): if the case is not sturdy enough to withstand a car running over it, don't buy it. Think of the value of its contents.
... might I also add that even with such a good case, never, ever, ever, ever put your pipes in the position where a car could run them over. :lol:
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

Oops, right... I left that part out :P
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Look into breakdown shotgun or firearms accessories cases, too. They're light, very rugged, and inexpensive.
mayo_piper

case

Post by mayo_piper »

try WalMart.com and look up gun cases..... :D :D
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I use a viola case. It can hold a full set of D pipes plus my considerable mojo.

T