Do you [i]Hate[/i] the time change?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

izzarina wrote:Why is it that we're the only ones (as far as I know anyway) that are changing so soon? Usually it's the UK that goes before us. And now they're 2 weeks away from theirs. What is the advantage to that?
The story I heard was that Bush agreed to decide it and Congress agreed the country could do it. It's original intention was to stimulate job growth. An extra few weeks of more hours in a day to work perhaps?
It sure stimulated the work load in IT but aside from the consultants, are most of them on salary anyway?

Anyway, it was decided to be done ahead of time back in Nov. and the guys in IT have been scrambling to get it accomodated. It was like their own mini Y2K.
While we might not think having the wrong time for a few weeks on a computer a big thing for our home computers, think of it.
Payroll, security, a lot of things in industry are exact time dependent.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I'm not trying to marginalize everyone's struggle to start their day an hour earlier
but the time change (that has happened earlier this year than normal) is going to make my Thursday night 8 PM music class a lot more humane for me.

Its been a real a pain in the butt for me to stay awake and paying attention in class all the way to 10 PM.
At 9 PM my brain turned into mush and my fingers turn into noodles.
Now I'll be walking out the door at that time.

With the extra hour at the end of my day I just might turn into a party animal.
Ok, maybe not.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

hyldemoer wrote:Its original intention was to stimulate job growth. Payroll, security, a lot of things in industry are exact time dependent.
Stimulate job growth! Pardon me if I look sceptical. It is so the Stock Markets can open at times closer to other significant International Stock Markets. And promote financial growth.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Stimulate job growth! Pardon me if I look sceptical. It is so the Stock Markets can open at times closer to other significant International Stock Markets. And promote financial growth.
Capitalism at it's very best...now we are to change the time to suit the needs of the money makers of the world.

Oops...was that political? :twisted:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

i also hate it because i have minor insomnia, so it is going to feel like an hour early in bed, like and 12 it feels only like 11, and when i wake up at 6 it will feel like 5. ahhhh i hate it!!!!!! :swear: :x :evil: :moreevil: :devil: :waah: :tantrum:
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Denny

Post by Denny »

izzarina wrote:Oops...was that political? :twisted:
or rhetorical?
:twisted:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Denny wrote:
or rhetorical?
Shhh! Denny, you're not supposed to give away all of my secrets!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Denny

Post by Denny »

izzarina wrote:
Denny wrote:
or rhetorical?
Awk!!! the real reason ya haunt the boards...

tis the only place ya can keep one, innit?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Denny wrote:
izzarina wrote:
Denny wrote: or rhetorical?
Awk!!! the real reason ya haunt the boards...

tis the only place ya can keep one, innit?
You can keep one in Chiffy Chat.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Usually I like daylight saving time. But I didn't like the change to DST.

We've all (in IT) been jumping through alternating flaming hoops off and on since the beginning of the year.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305056
http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/dst.html
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Yeah, I did the Palm download and sync yesterday. This morning, my Palm wouldn't turn on. Stink, I'm thinking, now I'm gonna hafta push the dang reset button and lose all my data. Luckily I was overdramatizing the outcome and didn't lose data.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I really don't care.

Nature gives light and dark to help us tell time. Works for me, but if people want to mess with it (as they have done for a while), at least it keeps their minds off serious stuff...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I don't mind the time changes. I figure that they wouldn't do it if it wasn't for a good reason, whether I understand it or not. However, I could get into trouble if I examined that type of reasoning too closely, as I might soon veer off into the realm of controversy.

My friend, though, is upset with turning ahead the clock. She thinks that she has lost an hour of her life, an hour that once is lost can never be regained again, no matter what the officials say.

Where it is really confusing is in towns on the edge of a time zone. In such places on one side of the street it may be an hour earlier than on the opposite side of the street. That was the way it was in the small town where my grandparents lived. It was difficult to plan social events. "What time or you on? Fast time or slow time?", you would hear people ask.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
My friend, though, is upset with turning ahead the clock. She thinks that she has lost an hour of her life, an hour that once is lost can never be regained again, no matter what the officials say.

All this fuss over one hour. I can imagine the uproar when they changed the calendar in 1752 to catch up with the 11 days due to no leap years. Back then it was serious business because folks were paid by the day, but rent was due each month. That 1752 event broke the backs of many poor folks.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Doug_Tipple wrote:My friend, though, is upset with turning ahead the clock. She thinks that she has lost an hour of her life, an hour that once is lost can never be regained again, no matter what the officials say.
She'll never be traveling to Asia then I guess. She'd have to cross that pesky date line.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.