What kind of music do you play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I play a lot of Christian music, and Irish slow airs.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Tango Papa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tango Papa »

colomon wrote:Newfoundland Traditional Music. :)
I am going to Nfld this summer. I sure hope that I can hear some good music once we get to St. John's. I'll open another thread on that.

TP
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Gabriel wrote:I also play with a percussionist/didgeridoo player in a "world music" project...hard to describe how that sounds...

Click here for a recording of it. It's quite overdriven...

But ITM is still my main subject.
It's very nice indeed! I really love it.
Maybe you should be interested in Mugar music.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

[quote="Gabriel"]Click here for a recording of it. It's quite overdriven...
quote]

A couple more tunes like that would go well on a CD.
Very good.
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Tango Papa

Post by Tango Papa »

blackhawk wrote:I play a lot of Christian music, and Irish slow airs.
Hmmm.... could you point me at any beginner level Christian music that works well on a D whistle??

TIA,
TP
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Tango Papa wrote:
Hmmm.... could you point me at any beginner level Christian music that works well on a D whistle??

TIA,
TP
Here's a thread that gives you a lot of titles. If you need more info, feel free to ask.
http://praisewhistlers.org/pwboard/view ... e+friendly

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
markbell

Post by markbell »

Tango Papa wrote:

TIA,
TP
I've got a few traditional pieces on my website, www.geocities.com/whistleandsqueak . Most contemporary stuff is under copyright, so I can't post it.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Our session and band plays folk, blues, bluegrass, ITM and some Hayseed Dixie style rock/bg novelty fusion. Oh, and a bit of reggae!

I only whistle on the ITM and folk tunes. The others I mando or bodhran my way through...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My guitarring is a lot better than my whistling. But when I'm picking up tunes I usually practice them on guitar first. The best ones I can do on both guitar and whistle, like The Glenbeigh, and The Home Ruler.
Some stuff is too easy on guitar, like "Over the Ocean". I heard the Kathryn Tickell band do that in harmonics on guitar. It's sounds great and it's not difficult.

Irish Trad, English Trad, Scottish Trad, Classical, Elizabethan, and a bit of Beatles. Anything that comes my way, in my little backwater.

Can you believe I played "Ae fond Kiss" last week to an adult Englishwoman who claimed that she had never heard it before?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Bill Hennessy

Post by Bill Hennessy »

Tango Papa wrote:

TIA,
TP
One of my favorite hymns, possibly my favorite one, is "Jesus, Lover of My Soul" an old Charles Wesley hymn. It sounds beautiful on whistle. I have a recording, but don't know how to upload it for anyone to hear. I, too, love to play hymns on the whistle.

Peace,
Bill
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

missy wrote:I tend to play anything BUT ITM. I have nothing against playing ITM, I just like to play all types of music (also play mountain dulcimer amoung other things).

One of the songs I love playing whistle on is a very slow "Wayfairing Stranger" (on a D, but in the key of Em).

One I like to do at church is "Sing of the Lord's Goodness" (again in Em - gee, I'm seeing a pattern). I add a lot of runs on that one.
hey missy: we have a lot in common. i totally agree with you. we had a guitar player join our folk group in church who can play in 5/4 so we're back to playing "sing of the Lord's goodness" too. that song rouses people, especially musicians.

besides church music, on the penny whistle, i also play folk, country, old rock, classical, torch songs, ambient background music, tv theme songs. you should see the looks i get when i transition into the brady bunch theme. christmas carols too, they were meant for the whistle.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
BEC

Post by BEC »

For me the whistles have come to supplant my recorders in some cases. My most common "venue" is a small mixed ensemble that leads the music at Mass in our parish about once per weekend.

Besides that I play most anything that appeals to me on them that will fit - including traditional tunes, Christmas songs, and other stuff that we as a family enjoy.

I play whistles because I like the sound(s) not necessarily for ITM - though I'm headed in that direction slowly at this time.

Missy, I hadn't thought of doing "Sing of the Lord's Goodness" on the whistle - I usually play the trumpet solo instrument line up high on a soprano recorder....next time we do that one I'll have to consider a whistle instead.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Another good hymn tune is "Be Thou My Vision/Lord of All Hopefullness" . The tune is Irish so it fits perfect.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
KCJiang

Post by KCJiang »

I play a lot of Chinese melodies on Irish whistle. Blackhawk constantly encourges me to record Chinese melodies on a CD which I appreciate his encourgment very much. However, I feel sorry that my whistle playing skill is not good enough for recording. Hopefully, someday I will have confidence to record Chinese melodies on a CD.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

KCJiang wrote:I play a lot of Chinese melodies on Irish whistle. Blackhawk constantly encourges me to record Chinese melodies on a CD which I appreciate his encourgment very much. However, I feel sorry that my whistle playing skill is not good enough for recording. Hopefully, someday I will have confidence to record Chinese melodies on a CD.
The four melodies you sent me on cassette tape were beautiful beyond words, KC. You put Green Island Serenade on Clips n Snips. If you upload the other 3 to Clips n Snips, I can burn them onto CD myself, on my home computer! :) Your Chinese music is gorgeous on whistle, KC.

--Plato