what other pipers think of uilleann pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

CHasR wrote:
Uilliam wrote:Thought for the day;
It may be worth remembering that whatever anyone else thinks o me is none of my business .
Uilliam
:D

(O I wish youd put a picture to go with that one Uilliam...)

If im not mistaken; the author of chanterdan's quote visits THIS forum regularly also...
Then you would think that they'd know better, maybe.... :lol:
mike spencer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mike spencer »

perhaps this person is just winding you up as i dont think any highland piper would make such a comment and quite a few of them play the ups also.
mike spencer
mike spencer

Post by mike spencer »

"most chanters i heard and PLAYED are out of tune.....most have a terribly weak croaking back D."when i was only a highland piper some fool let me try a up practice set.the only way i could get a sqawk out of it was by shoving the chanter into my mouth,to which my friend remarked ,"you highland pipers must have been raised on the breast as you stick everything into your mouths."my point is that a highland piper or a sspiper cannot PLAY the up chanter.it is a different breed of animal.when i was playing only the ghbs i thought only frogs croaked.so my conclusion is that this person is a uilleann piper or a wannabe.jes may be right ;"a closet piper "perhaps or is it all in jest.
mike spencer
Mark R.

Post by Mark R. »

I don't know where that guy is coming from; maybe he was trying to relate a personal experience but didn't articulate it well.

I play big pipes and I've just recently started the pursuit of Uilleann pipes. Most of the guys I know that play Piob Mhor respect the He<< out of Uilleann pipers. We're all kin when you think about it. In fact I'd dare say that a good majority of American Uilleann players where introduced to piping (UP) through pipe bands. Perhaps even more so than session?

At the same time however, I know a lot of Piob Mhor players that get upset when people rag on us for only having one octave or for being a just intonation instrument. That and over half of the GHP types are older guys that are just starting.....that's okay, but their priorities are to participate with their organization/culture and not really perform to a high standard of music.

I don't know, I always shake my head when people get into this we're better because mind frame. It's all good music. :)
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

...most have a terribly weak croaking back D...the only way i could get a sqawk out of it was by shoving the chanter into my mouth...
Am I the only one to see a pattern forming here?
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

In the hot, faced-paced world of taxonomy there are lumpers and splitters. I would be a splitter.

For me, comparing GHBs to UPs would be like comparing banjos to violas. Not really comparable at all and not worth the kvetchfest. Instrument, music and cultures are very different from where I sit. Oh, and as an uilleann piper I do sit. That is until our club finally forms that uilleann pipe marching band. You would recognize us by our crab walk and the stools strapped to our arses. :thumbsup:

Splittingly,

T
Scotch-Irish89

Post by Scotch-Irish89 »

These people who bad talk this instrument are quitters , real musicians have respect for all instruments... and the people who play them...
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Scotch-Irish89 wrote:These people who bad talk this instrument are quitters , real musicians have respect for all instruments... and the people who play them...
unless of course were talking about violists :D

Opening night of the opera, the orchestra manager takeds the podium and says, "Ladies + Gentlemen, the Maestro is very ill and cannot conduct tonight. Is there anyone in the orchestra who feels confident enought to stand in?"

"I will, sir", says the 1st-chair violist.

SO the violist gets up and conducts the opening nite, and the next 2 nights. Everything goes fine. By then the Maestro is back on his feet and takes the podium on the 4th show.

The 1st chair violist returns his regular seat, when the 2nd chair violist, next to him, turns and says." Boy, Im glad we have the regular conductor back...you should've seen the guy we had the last 3 nights..he was horrible~!" :boggle:
nadav

walking stick

Post by nadav »

tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

...unless of course were talking about violists...
This thread will not take that turn! Degenerating this noble discussion into a torrent of violist/banjoist/accordionist jokes will get this topic locked down faster than you can say "Seamus Ennis' long fingers!"

...hopefully :)

t
pipesergeant

Post by pipesergeant »

Hello all....I guess I'm going to be the devil's advocate here.....

First of all let me preface this by stating this: I am not a uilleann piper. I'm a GHPer. I tried my hand at uilleann pipes and they are very difficult. I have the utmost respect for UPers. You all amaze me.

I've been playing highland pipes for 18 years now, I'm at the grade 1 level, and I've worked my butt off to get where I'm at. And to be a competent UPer you have to do the same.

With that said: what the person in the original quote was trying to say I think, was that the GHB chanter and reed are more standardized than those in UPing. For example. You can take just about any name brand GHB chanter and any make of quality reed and they will work. With some very basic reed working knowledge you can get the vast majority of GHB chanter reeds to sing.

To my understanding (and again my knowledge is quite limited here) with UPs it's quite different. The reed has to be made to the chanter. And if it's not then things don't work well. <-----is this wrong? Do I have the wrong impression of UPing? and chanters and reeds?

I think that was the overall gist of what that person was really trying to say. When I read it that's what I got from it.

And of course where knowledge is limited many times wild opinions fly.....

Shawn
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

pipesergeant wrote:With that said: what the person in the original quote was trying to say I think, was that the GHB chanter and reed are more standardized than those in UPing. For example. You can take just about any name brand GHB chanter and any make of quality reed and they will work. With some very basic reed working knowledge you can get the vast majority of GHB chanter reeds to sing.
Now that just sounds boring! :)
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

One thing about GHBs that it extremely different isn't the instrument itself, it's the military pipe band culture. Which can be a lot of fun, but also attracts people who like marching around in uniforms as much as playing music. (and to be fair, doing both). Consequently, though, one sees a lot of GHB players in public who lack skills like. . .tuning the instrument. I am convinced that the general public has an unfair notion of what GHB's are supposed to sound like because of this phenomenon.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Wormdiet wrote:Consequently, though, one sees a lot of GHB players in public who lack skills like. . .tuning the instrument. I am convinced that the general public has an unfair notion of what GHB's are supposed to sound like because of this phenomenon.
Yeah, it's too bad someone can't just strap on a set of uilleann pipes long enough to learn Amazing Grace and join a pipe band. Thank God they're harder and more expensive.

Luckily the Pakistanis also make crappy sets of uilleann pipes as well. If UPipers find a way to march with them, all will be lost.

BTW, there are some GREAT GHPers out there, whom I respect and I also still get a thrill when they crank up those drones. Reagan's Funeral, Eric Rigler wailing away at Amazing Grace, filled my heart with joy, really!

Timmy
brianc

Post by brianc »

It's obviously a case of chanter envy.

:wink: :lol: