how long you practice? :S

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AlonE
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

how long you practice? :S

Post by AlonE »

Hi, I started to touch whistle for 3 months, I have been having an original Clarke D. The truth is that before touching whistle nontapeworm music idea, absolutely nothing, and until today I have learned to read them the shettmusic with facility, everything by means of manual and tutorial online, like rogermillinton, etc. I can touch calliope house, Erin Shore, Irish washerwoman, silver spear, and scarborough fire. (and Yesterday to the Beatles xDxD xD ¬¬)

My question is if they think that I go too slow, for 3 months, or I must practice but time?

how long are delayed you in learning a new song?

greetings!!
Tony McGinley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tony McGinley »

I made myself a promise when I took up the whistle
that I would never, ever practice.

Let me clarify that statement. I play the whistle each and every
time to enjoy the experience. While learning a tune, I
may explore fingering, endeavour to improve decorations,
or refine breath control. I assiduously avoid "practice" as I have
a mental block to drudge and hard work which "practice
implies.

I keep whistles in several rooms of my house and I often
carry a whistle in the car. That way, I can have a tootle
when the mood strikes me, or play along with a CD or
the radio if something takes my fancy. I sometimes play in
the kitchen or the bathroom - great acoustic for the whistle!
That way I educate my fingers and brain and develop the
neural pathways in an enjoyable way.

I used to play classical guitar in a past lifetime. I practiced a lot.
I pushed myself with fingering and tone producation, and learning
a repertoire, and suceeded in getting thoroughly p***ed off. In the
end I gave up the classical guitar. It was a bit like forcing myself
to eat when I was not hungry or did not desire the food.

Now I treat my playing like I treat good food. I enjoy it every time.
I never overeat, and I constantly seek variety and perfection.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I play a bit every day. Maybe 15 minutes at least. Most days, though, I probably play 30 minutes to an hour.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Like Tony pointed out, I play rather than practice. Being a beginner, I also devote some time to arpeggios and scales with or without ornamentation. But the rest is pure playing time.

I don't have enough whistles yet to put several in every room, but I occasionally move them all, depending on what song I want to play.
Most of the time, I play maybe 10-15 minutes several times a day.

In whole, I dont have the sensation that I play more than one hour each day, but my wife pretends the time is passing by too quickly for me and figures out that I spend rather 2 hours (at least) playing. Thinking about it, she might be right!

Of course, not to mention my daughter who, despite the fact of being a fiddler and that she likes ITM, can't stand the sound of high whistles and was ready to leave the house until recently!
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I play everyday (usually). Since I am a college student and work, I am pretty busy. But when a performance is around the corner, I play more and "practice" tunes and arrangements/counter-melodies that need to be played well and worked through in a practice sort of way.

Just play whenever you can, that's my idea. If you don't get enough time that way, make some time.

-Casey
Life is good.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

the most is 3 hours for me, and the least is 30 min. it depends how tires i am or what kind of mood i am in.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
bubbledragon

Post by bubbledragon »

I use whistling as a way to distract myself. Yeah, I would like to get better, but I decided to take it slower than that, so I'm not worried about all this... "technique" and "ornamentation."

Sometimes I do have to force myself to pick up my whistle, even if it's just for 15 minutes, but I usually end up tootling around for a good while longer than that. It helps me regain the control over my diaphragm that I lost after I stopped playing flute a few years ago, and it relaxes me. It's like forcing yourself to take a walk because once you get 5 steps out your door you actually do enjoy it.

I started by taking someone's advice to play songs I already know how to sing. So I've been playing Girl Scout camp songs - "Mm-ah went the little green frog" "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah" "One Tin Soldier," etc. Can't tell if it helps, but it's fun, anyhow. Some of them don't quite work, One Tin Soldier goes down a note too far, for example, so I tootle around real fast and fake it. Hah.

I can also play the A part of Denis Ryan's fairly reliably, now, too! Woo!
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

I already see I can understand perfectly, I believe that it is good for touching songs that are not celtas by fun, in addition is good for exploring all the scopes, but with a unique way: our beloved irish folk :)

by the way, you can touch a song automatically while they read a sheetmusic, or go slowly touching to the notes and adornments?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I play music for atleast an hour and a half to over 4 hours every day. This is divided between four instruments Flute, Bouzouki, Mandolin, and Whistle. I spend the most time on Flute and down the list in that order. I don't play whistle as much because a lot of my Flute practice uses the same techniques that I do on whistle.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

When I'm whistling, an hour goes by in the blink of an eye.

I blink once or twice a day.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

Was anyone else puzzled by AlonE's references to tapeworms in two of his posts? Turns out intestinal parasites are not involved. I just checked my Spanish-English dictionary (because AlonE is from Chile) and the Spanish for "tapeworm" is "solitaria" which also means "solo". So "nontapeworm" music is playing with other people.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

O'Brien wrote:Was anyone else puzzled by AlonE's references to tapeworms in two of his posts? Turns out intestinal parasites are not involved. I just checked my Spanish-English dictionary (because AlonE is from Chile) and the Spanish for "tapeworm" is "solitaria" which also means "solo". So "nontapeworm" music is playing with other people.
Ahhhh, now I get it! :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

When people mention tapeworms, I smoothly transition into another subject.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

Was anyone else puzzled by AlonE's references to tapeworms in two of his posts? Turns out intestinal parasites are not involved. I just checked my Spanish-English dictionary (because AlonE is from Chile) and the Spanish for "tapeworm" is "solitaria" which also means "solo". So "nontapeworm" music is playing with other people.

:swear: :swear: :x

mmmm.. I'm sorry my english is very bad, and I must use to translator.

I hope that they understand to me.
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

as you know that I am from Chile? :-? :-? :-?