What kind of music do you play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hydromel89
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What kind of music do you play?

Post by hydromel89 »

A couple of months ago, I was looking for whistle training sessions or local experienced players I could learn from.
So I joined a band of musicians (mostly accordionists, but also fiddlers, flute players, clarinette and guitar player, etc.) in a local cultural center.

I was first attracted by the description saying therre was traditionnal sessions going on (Irish, Breton, French, and European).
Since most players are accordionists, I happened to play almost anything but Irish music (a lot of breton stuff : an dros, hanter dros).

Although it was unexpected, the whistle found its own place in traditionnal tunes it wasn't made for, like traditionnal eastern or center french music.
And other players seemed to like this sound, actually so much that they invited me to join for concerts and traditionnal danse sessions.

So my question is (actually it looks more like a poll) : Do you play non ITM with your whistle? If so, I would be interested in knowing what kind of music?
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Hyd,
Can't let you go unanswered. Our band plays a couple of Breton "En Dro's", a kind of dance music. We play some Scottish stuff, but that really doesn't count. And one English piece (learning it now) called "Hole in the wall". I'd be interested in knowing what those eastern tunes were that you played with the band.
Tom.
Short bio: 1952-
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I occasionally play some jazz on Flute or Whistle, but I usually stick to Mandolin or Octave Mandolin as they are better for the chromatic notes.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I love to do jazz improvisations on my sweethart high D as it crossfingers/halfholes quite easy and with good results. It's always interesting how much can be done with such a simple instrument. :)

I also play with a percussionist/didgeridoo player in a "world music" project...hard to describe how that sounds...

Click here for a recording of it. It's quite overdriven...

But ITM is still my main subject.
missy

Post by missy »

I tend to play anything BUT ITM. I have nothing against playing ITM, I just like to play all types of music (also play mountain dulcimer amoung other things).

One of the songs I love playing whistle on is a very slow "Wayfairing Stranger" (on a D, but in the key of Em).

One I like to do at church is "Sing of the Lord's Goodness" (again in Em - gee, I'm seeing a pattern). I add a lot of runs on that one.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tril Bluejacket

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

Gabriel...the didge/low whistle recording is awesome! WOW!

(I have a didge, but I sure can't make it sound like that.)
"We are part of a symbiotic relationship with something which disguises itself as an extra-terrestrial invasion so as not to alarm us."
-Terence McKenna
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

what this ITM ?
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

I especially love ancient tunes. So hymns, olde carols, Irish airs, and folk tunes, mainly out of the British Isles Traditions, are what I mainly play. Many "pop" tunes...especially older ones...Beattles, blues, even doo-wop memories are also great fun. My favorite melodies are Irish Airs.

I whistle mainly for my own A-Musement, so feel entirely free to sometimes ad lib, improvise, wander far afield, and thoroughly modify any and all of the above. ( All the while feeling deep appreciation and affection for the "original" material...which I usually "faithfully" render, before enjoying my own "evolutions.")

I have some High Quality Low Whistles, which happily allow me to traipse through these diverse musical meadows. Cheers.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

AlonE wrote:what this ITM ?
Irish Traditional Music
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Denny

Post by Denny »

Wanderer wrote:
AlonE wrote:what this ITM ?
Irish Traditional Music
:lol:<---clicky
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Gabriel wrote:I love to do jazz improvisations on my sweethart high D as it crossfingers/halfholes quite easy and with good results. It's always interesting how much can be done with such a simple instrument. :)

I also play with a percussionist/didgeridoo player in a "world music" project...hard to describe how that sounds...

Click here for a recording of it. It's quite overdriven...

But ITM is still my main subject.
Wow, nice!!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Newfoundland Traditional Music. :)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

My background is southern old-time stringband and country blues.

I've moved a lot of that repertoire over to flute and whistle. It works so well that it makes me wonder why those instruments are noticeably absent from the folk tradition here, (with a few exceptions such as some fifing, quills (panpipes), etc...). Lately, I've been working hard on ITM so as to participate in some good local sessions.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
markbell

Post by markbell »

Contemporary Christian worship music, primarily. Style-wise, close to a popular/folk blend.

Also, hymns, classical, children's songs, and what-not.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I play mostly only ITM on whistle. Occasionally I play whistle at church, but then, usually during communion and use a slow air, so it's still ITM.
I do play other instruments and turn to them for other styles.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West