That's creepy

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

If staring into dancing electron screens is the new "Opiate of the People," then we are predisposed to sleepishly replicate the images offered.

You will comform. You will comform. You will comform.

Do you suffer from conformity? See your doctor about......
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
djm

Post by djm »

Resistance is motile .... :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Are you trying to imply that mass media is merely ego-flatulence, all dressed up in a hall of electronic mirrors?
djm

Post by djm »

Um ... you mean like a pigment of one's exageration? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Well, I was actually imagining a lip-tuck, in the Hollywood Hills.

There's no drool like an old drool.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

hyldemoer wrote:Which I guess is like anything.
If you're in business to make money you do it with products you know the largest population is willing to spend money on
and so many people confuse price with value.
I think part of the frustration that I would have is that surface modifications are often the easy way of making things initially more appealing often to the detriment of function. Looking at breeds of dogs many of them have ears that infect easily because floppy ears sell. Apple varieties that look good sell despite taste and the same with reddened under ripe tomatoes.

With the human form, often quick fixes are used to replace working physical betterment. People will concentrate on a diet, drugs and operations, that makes them thin, rather than just eating healthy foods and keeping active. heroin sheik (sp?) rather than healthy glow (yah, can of worms, but I hope you find my meaning). Another example is spending time and money sitting and having hair and nails done and then not being able to do anything for fear of breaking a nail or messing up hair. Meanwhile simple habits like basic hygiene and posture that help a person look, feel, and last longer are neglected .

I do not think that narcissism is necessarily bad, if it motivates you in a positive way or ends with yourself feeling better in some way, but often it seems that it is used by others to sell you something that only benefits the seller.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Looking at breeds of dogs many of them have ears that infect easily because floppy ears sell.
:o :o

I'm not picking, but that's not why they have "floppy ears". Actually, I have a problem with the breeds that ear crop, which was originally done to give adversaries less to hang on to , but is now purely cosmetic.

Good points in your post, I knew a girl who never turned her head from the neck because it would mess up her long straight hair. She would turn her whole torso for the sake of the "crowning glory".
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
missy

Post by missy »

cowtime wrote: Actually, I have a problem with the breeds that ear crop, which was originally done to give adversaries less to hang on to , but is now purely cosmetic.
yeah, I wish more boxers would be shown that have natural ears, now that it IS an allowed feature. Although both of mine are far from show quality, neither have cropped ears.
And one has only one joint in his tail, the other has 5, so they both look kinda silly.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

cowtime wrote:
Looking at breeds of dogs many of them have ears that infect easily because floppy ears sell.

I'm not picking, but that's not why they have "floppy ears".
Might have been thinking of rabbits. My only pets are fish.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I.D.10-t wrote:
cowtime wrote:

I'm not picking, but that's not why they have "floppy ears".
Might have been thinking of rabbits.
Rabbits ARE one of the reasons they have floppy ears, stirs the scent on the ground. So, You are correct! :P
John Foster West
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

missy wrote:yeah, I wish more boxers would be shown that have natural ears, now that it IS an allowed feature. Although both of mine are far from show quality, neither have cropped ears.
And one has only one joint in his tail, the other has 5, so they both look kinda silly.
Buster and Wyley do not look silly. There are silly, but they don't look it... :lol:
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
missy

Post by missy »

harpmaker wrote:
missy wrote:yeah, I wish more boxers would be shown that have natural ears, now that it IS an allowed feature. Although both of mine are far from show quality, neither have cropped ears.
Buster and Wyley do not look silly. There are silly, but they don't look it... :lol:
heck - you don't notice their tails cuz they are always SITTING on you!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Interestingly, the folks in the UK have just last year passed a law against docking dogs' tails as unnecessary cruelty.

I don't know if this law also covers ear clipping, but it should.

~~

I do know that tailless dogs get in more fights with other dogs, because other dogs aren't able to see the signals that dog thinks he is sending with his tail.

Dog A thinks "I told him to back off, and he didn't, so I had to attack"
Dog B thinks "It came out of nowhere - he just lunged at me without warning!"
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

s1m0n wrote:Interestingly, the folks in the UK have just last year passed a law against docking dogs' tails as unnecessary cruelty.

I don't know if this law also covers ear clipping, but it should.

~~

I do know that tailless dogs get in more fights with other dogs, because other dogs aren't able to see the signals that dog thinks he is sending with his tail.

Dog A thinks "I told him to back off, and he didn't, so I had to attack"
Dog B thinks "It came out of nowhere - he just lunged at me without warning!"
Ear cropping was outlawed in the UK several years ago. I don't have as much problem with tail docking if done within the first few days after birth. Their neurological system is not so developed then and as a vet tech, I've literally held pups a day old that barely even woke up for the procedure, but by 5 days, it was a different story. The vets Iworked for would not do them after 5 days old.

Now ear cropping is another story.I've always thought that if the owners had to go into the surgery and be the ones holding up their puppy's ears (someone has to) for the surgery, saw how much they bled during this procedure(can't sew up the first ear done until the second is done because they might have to be trimmed more to even them up) sat with them as they woke up, saw their puppy thrashing, moaning, screaming in pain as they came out of anesthesia, they would think twice about ever having it done to another dog. They do have to deal with the "head gear" for the after training and that's enough of a problem to put some pet owners off having it ever done again. Particularly since there's no guarentee that the ears will stand correctly.

One vet I worked for was the only one that would do ear crops, and then only after extensive counseling where we did our durndest to talk them out of it. She only did it because we were treating so many animals who'd been mangled by other vets in our area and then only when it was apparent that the owner was going to have it done whether or not. At least we knew that the pups would get the best care possible under the circumstances. I became quite good at horrifying the owners with graphic descriptions of what their "baby" would go through simply because they wanted it's ears to stand upright instead of how mother nature intended.

I once sat outside and talked with a man who brought his boxer in, the victim of a "botched job" by another vet. First of all, the dog was way too old when the crop was done-4 mos.Odds of those ears standing were pretty slim at that age. Poor after care had left his ears an infected gangrenous mess. The ears were history. This man was going to put the dog down! I followed him outside and after a long talk, he decided that he would keep this dog that would have no ears. Yes he would look strange, but he was such a sweetie and had not asked for this to be done to him.

All it will take for ear cropping to stop is for judges to start putting dogs with uncropped ears up in the ring. I saw one uncropped dobie shown about twenty years ago. That was a brave soul who took that dog in the ring. (it did not place, but a statement was definately made)

This makes me think of yet another reason to love Skyes, as if I needed another.Nothing to cut off for the show ring. :)
John Foster West
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

cowtime wrote:Children of the Damned... that's what I thought of when I saw them. You know, the kids that are devil possessed or somesuch.. :devil:

you mean Village of the Damned?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown