Is it the Whistle or is it the Flute -- Curiousity

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
airbender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is it the Whistle or is it the Flute -- Curiousity

Post by airbender »

Hi All,

I've noticed that it's not uncommon for someone to play the flute and whistle (hopefully not at the same time).

As examples: Joanie Madden is a "Grammy Award winning whistle and flute player" and/or Brian Finnegan of Flook who plays both the whistle and flute.

My question is this ... if I'm listening to their music how can I tell if I'm listening to the flute or the whistle? Are there distinct audible differences? Are there any specific things to listen for?

I'm just curious. I'm also new to playing the whistle so I don't have a lot of playing time or listening time under my belt. Sorry if this has already been discussed. A link to the discussion would be great.

Thanks,

Scott
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Hmmm...how best to answer this?

The high D whistle is higher pitched than the flute. It'll tend to have a bright, chirpy sound. The flute and low whistle will sound a bit similar - lower in pitch than the high D whistle, more robust, often darker.

It's fairly hard to describe how to tell the difference by ear alone, but once you can, it's easy.

Another way is to look at the liner notes on the CD - sometimes they list instrumentation on each tune.

Eric
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Joanie Madden plays a silver flute, which will sound somewhat different again from the more common (in this music, anyway) wooden flute.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I might be going out on a limb here: :o

On the lower-pitched recordings, which could be either low-whistle or flute, you can often tell by "complexity" of the technique. Faster tunes like jigs and reels, with lots of ornamentation, are easier to play on flute, (I think). Low-whistles have a darker sound to them, and are more often used on slower airs and "mood" pieces. Also, flutes tend to have a "woodier" sound overall. Of course, there are MANY exceptions. In time, your ear will know the difference.

Edited to add: Low whistles are something of a "specialty" instrument, and when you're not sure, chances are probably better that you're listening to a flute.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Normally, one can distinguish flute from low whistle by the relative volume of the higher harmonics to the played sound. Low whistles feature a clear "keynote" and the harmoncs are not very loud, and a flute (when played in the typical "irish" style of course) features very loud harmonics, especially the first (one octave above keynote).

Sounds a bit technical, but it's quite easy with some experience.

Check www.tinwhistletunes.com to train your ear. :)
celtic_lass

Post by celtic_lass »

This is just from my own observation. Most whistles in general have a nice sharp, crisp, sound, while a flute has kind of a breathy sound. But sometimes it can be very hard to tell the difference. It really is important to listen to a lot of whistle and flute music to develop a good ear for it.
Sara
Jesus is the bridge beneath my strings, and the breath that blows my whistle.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

whistle is a higer pitch as said above, but if you want to hear the difference between a low whislte and a flute, listen to the vibrato, on flutes, it is very slow but strong, and on wistle it is a little faster and somewhat not as strong.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

The Whistle Collector wrote:whistle is a higer pitch as said above, but if you want to hear the difference between a low whislte and a flute, listen to the vibrato, on flutes, it is very slow but strong, and on wistle it is a little faster and somewhat not as strong.
?? I am a bit confused. . . if we're talking finger vibrato then isn;t that at the whim of the player irrespective of instrument?

If it's diaphragm vibrato . . . . ? it's not that apparent in a lot of traditional flute playing anyway. (At least it's nothing like classical playing.)

It helps to hear a whistle in person vs. a flute played by someone with a good embouchure, also in person. The flute tone is, for lack of a better term, ballsier. On a recording, it helps if you can compare the sounds in person.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

The Whistle Collector wrote:whistle is a higer pitch as said above, but if you want to hear the difference between a low whislte and a flute, listen to the vibrato, on flutes, it is very slow but strong, and on wistle it is a little faster and somewhat not as strong.
?? I am a bit confused. . . if we're talking finger vibrato then isn;t that at the whim of the player irrespective of instrument?

If it's diaphragm vibrato . . . . ? it's not that apparent in a lot of traditional flute playing anyway. (At least it's nothing like classical playing.)

It helps to hear a whistle in person vs. a flute played by someone with a good embouchure, also in person. The flute tone is, for lack of a better term, ballsier. On a recording, it helps if you can compare the sounds in person.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Wormdiet...
My Low Whistles...Copeland, Overton, Burke, and MK...all WINCED at your emasculating remark! How inanimate objects comprehend the meaning of "ballsy," is beyond me. But they're feeling pretty "testy," and may be looking for some tooty-flutey butt to kick.

Calm down, boys. We'll hyper-blast out an air or two, and break the walls down!!! AAAARRRRGGG!!!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Volume control and how it is connected with pitch seems to be a big factor when I listen to the two.

In general, I find that when I listen to whistle music the volume changes with the pitch in a somewhat predictable way. The two octaves seem to gain volume evenly with a break in the octave and when listening to an entire piece, the volume and pitch are connected. This can be modified by playing, but in general I have found it is not.

With the flute the volume can be more independent of the pitch and in general seems to be more evenly played over two octaves or played to the mood of the music rather than being increased as it continues up the scale.

All of this is a generalization to what I hear though and my experience is limited. There are other differences, but to me this is the most obvious.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I don't play flute, but I think if you listen to the ornamentation played (I'm focusing in particular on irish trad music), you'll be able to distinguish between flute and low whistle.

This is a completely amateurish and layman explanation and I can't explain it better, but with the flute, the player can also affect the sound in ways not possible on whistle, because you're directing a stream of air across the edge of the hole to produce a sound, and that airstream can be varied in many ways.

Thus, you can get "fluttery" sounds or "growly" sounds not possible on the low whistle (more or less the directed airstream in a whistle can't be changed since it goes straight from your mouth through a fixed channel in the mouthpc to the blade/window.

These sounds seem (to me) quite recognisable esp when ornamentations are played.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Stupid request, does any one have the Aran Boatsman (or some other simple tune) played on a Low D and flute or high D and second register on the flute to compare?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Tril Bluejacket

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

I'm very glad you started this thread, airbender.

Someone emailed me this tune quite a while back. I've never been able to find out who the artist is playing the whatever (low whistle? flute?) that he or she is playing, or to tell what the instrument is.

Anyone know who and/or what?

The March Hare:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/themarchhare1-mp3.html

Edited to add: I think it's a flute (but yesterday I was convinced it was a low whistle).
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

One way to familiarize yourself with the differences between whistle and flute is to listen to some Lunasa songs where Kevin Crawford will switch from whistle to flute mid-song. There's no doubt which one is which. Bulgarian Rock from the Kinnitty Sessions album is a good example. It'll help you identify the differences and it's great music too.