maker's stamp. how it's done?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BullFighter
antispam: No

maker's stamp. how it's done?

Post by BullFighter »

i'm curious about the way the makers mark their flutes.

a hot iron? hammering it?
thanx
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Casey Burns uses laser engraving. Ralph and Walt Sweet use a plastic sticker and/or burned-in logo. Desi Seery and Jon Cochran do a pressure impression into their Delrin instruments. Those are the only flutes I've had in my sweaty little hands.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
mrosenlof
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mrosenlof »

Mark Hoza has a woodburning tool. He draws/writes each stamp.

Shakuhachi makers might use a device like this one:

http://www.mejiro-japan.com/html/header ... tstamp.htm
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

I've often wondered that myself. My Hamilton's has very small lettering (need bright lighting just to see it), yet cut very cleanly.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: maker's stamp. how it's done?

Post by Jon C. »

BullFighter wrote:i'm curious about the way the makers mark their flutes.

a hot iron? hammering it?
thanx
Custom engraved stamp with raised letters, is pressed on the finished flute surface. Laser engraver can also be used. For low end flute makers, letter stamps... :oops:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

From what I have read laser ingraving doesn't work very well for thermoplastics (melts the edges) but does work well for many hardwoods. I also have thought about signing my flutes with something more than a permanent marking pen, which, of course, isn't really permanent.

I am thinking about using a Leroy lettering tool to inscribe my name in small letters along the length of the flute. I used to use these Leroy lettering sets in college when I was lettering maps and other documents. That was in the day before computer fonts, etc. Although the Leroy sets are designed to be used with pens for lettering in ink, I think that I could replace the pen with a sharp stylus or other engraving tool. I am curious as to whether anyone else has tried this method for engraving lettering on flutes. I see that these Leroy lettering sets are readily available on ebay for a fraction of the original cost. Here is one currently on auction:
Leroy lettering set on ebay
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

[quote="Doug_Tipple"]From what I have read laser ingraving doesn't work very well for thermoplastics (melts the edges) but does work well for many hardwoods. I also have thought about signing my flutes with something more than a permanent marking pen, which, of course, isn't really permanent.[quote]

I have cut and engraved a lot of plastics with laser. It is possible to set the laser to different depth/speed, so it doesn't melt the PVC. Of course the unit runs about $30,000...
Here is a photo of one of the traditional stamps, I like the script stamps, like Liddle and Collard & Collard... You can see how the stamped skipped a little when it was stamped.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Jon C.
Custom engraved stamp with raised letters, is pressed on the finished flute surface. Laser engraver can also be used. For low end flute makers, letter stamps...
Some High End Makers use letter stamps as well: OLWELL & COCHRAN :)
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Does punching the name risk cracking the wood? I guess not as most top makers use stamps.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

gorjuswrex wrote:Does punching the name risk cracking the wood? I guess not as most top makers use stamps.
Wood is tough stuff, of course you don't go wacking it with a sledge hammer...
Michael Flatley

Jon
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Does Sweet still use a gold sticker on his diamond wood stuff?
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Witty remark, or double post edited out, you decide.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Inflating post count, or editing out a tripple post, you decide.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I.D.10-t wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Does Sweet still use a gold sticker on his diamond wood stuff?
Kind of reminds me of that song:

"I'm gonna sit right down and write my self a letter."
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.