Weighing in the babies

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jennie »

Sillydill wrote: Delrin SEERY = 375 g.

But only 325 g. when I play it with helium, sounds like a piccolo! :lol:
I did that once, for a "research" project in high school. Recorded intonation of different instruments when the player first inhaled helium. It works!

At the time, I figured that was going to be more fun than buying a shorter barrel for my clarinet. It was! :lol: :lol:

Jennie
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I weighed the big boys last night. Casey Burns low flute set in mopane -- one head with slide, three bodies.

C -- 395 g
Bb -- 440 g
A -- 460 g
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dana

Post by Dana »

So where do y'all find scales that weigh this accurately? :-?
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Looks like Casey is truly a heavyweight among flute makers! :wink:

Other players have remarked on the weight of mine (398 g., keyless). I haven't ever spent enough time with another to compare. It doesn't feel heavy to me. It's certainly solid, though, and fat. One friend who has arthritis to deal with says that my fat, heavy one is much better for her left hand than her lighter weight but smaller bore flute.

Plus mine is a good billy club for those late nights in Fairbanks walking through the parking lot after the session. Never know when you'll meet a moose. :)

Jennie
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Dana - I didn't find a scale that accurate (although you could go to the local post office and weigh a flute there)...I used a common kitchen scale and the weight (checked three times) fell dead between 460g and 490g mark - therefore I put down 475g. I imagine some folks may have digital scales which could lead to more precision than I had.

Eric
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Dana wrote:So where do y'all find scales that weigh this accurately? :-?
I bought my scale on ebay. It will weigh accurately up to 35 lbs in grams, ounces, kilograms, or pounds.
ebay
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Aebi blackwood D:385 hm
Jon C. delrin rudall, medium holes, 385 gm.
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
cocusflute

Accurate scale

Post by cocusflute »

You can get a battery operated digital kitchen scale that weighs in either grams or ounces. They sell for about $20 on EBay or in a kitchen supply store. They're very helpful for cooking, for mailing things and for weighing flutes.
6-key Olwell cocus, Pratten: 382 gr., or 13 1/2 oz.
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

Doyle keyless rosewood: 228 gm
Hamilton keyless blackwood: 349 gm

I was surprised as I always thought the Hammy was at least twice the weight of the Doyle. The rosewood flute seems light as a feather and almost brittle, one wouldn't want to drop it whereas one feels one might comfortably use the Hammy in a fight: not that I'm thinking that way :)
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Flutered wrote:Doyle keyless rosewood: 228 gm
Hamilton keyless blackwood: 349 gm

I was surprised as I always thought the Hammy was at least twice the weight of the Doyle. The rosewood flute seems light as a feather and almost brittle, one wouldn't want to drop it whereas one feels one might comfortably use the Hammy in a fight: not that I'm thinking that way :)
I think compared to blackwood rosewood is more brittle, apart from being less dense and lighter in specific weight. So your perception is quite correct.

~Hans
trish

Post by trish »

Rod Cameron 8 key blackwood Rudal Rose 400g
and very nicely balanced too
Rod suggests weighing it progressively through the playing-in period so that you can later estimate how much moisture it has on board at any time. This is its 'played in' weight.