Gotta Have CDs to help learn by ear - Which ones?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pastorkeith
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Gotta Have CDs to help learn by ear - Which ones?

Post by pastorkeith »

I have enjoyed the discourse on learning by ear vs sheet music
The best advice seems to be to listen to good players play the tunes - so folks want to update the old "Top-ten-CD's-you-gotta-have-so-you-really
play-the-tunes-better-then-the-newbie-that-you-are" list?
Thanks!
pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

grey larsons flute and irish whistle, orthe essential tin whislte book by melbay.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

The Mountain Road: Tunes Popular in South Sligo -- Various
Fortune Favours the Merry -- Peter Horan and Gerry Harrington
Farewell to Evening Dances -- Colm O'Donnell
Speed 78 -- Mike Rafferty
Cooley -- Joe Cooley

Out of print / unavailable but worth keeping an ear out for:
Donncha O Briain -- Donncha O Briain
Music of Sligo -- Peter Horan and Fred Finn
That concert with Martin Wynne, Paddy Reynolds, and Brian Conway
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Rather than trying to begin your ear-learning from commercial CD's, which can have fast, complex playing with lots of instruments, I think you may be better off trying to start with well-played recordings that just have whistle.

WhistleThis.com has some great recordings (see the 'mentor' versions, especially kilfarboy's) that are good to learn from. They're simple enough for a beginner but still have the little things that make for good Irish music. The mentor versions also have the tune played both slow and at normal speed. I don't think you could find a better place to start learning by ear.
Love...Serve...Remember
bdh
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

The other option is to pick and choose tunes that you like from CDs. I subscribe to eMusic http://www.emusic.com/ which has nice quality mp3s from a big selection of music. The cost is also pretty reasonable, I think. Usually I go along to a session, hear a tune that I like, and track it down on eMusic later. Definitely much cheaper than buying whole CDs, and it's nice to have different recordings of your favourite tune.

Once you've found the tunes you want, you can then look into software to slow them down (without changing the pitch). There are a couple out there, even for Mac ;)

There is a referral bonus of 50 free tunes, but since this isn't a commercial post I don't feel it's appropriate to ask you to mention me :party:
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

If I might venture an opinion, speaking from my own experience, I'd say that you can learn tunes from any solo cd by a performer on ANY instrument, or even a solo lead melody with guitar backing or similar. I've learned tunes from Tommy Peoples, Noel Hill, Paul Brock, Kevin Rowsome, Matt Molloy, etc. This approach has the added benefit that you pick up stylistic aspects of the same tunes played on different instruments.
m.d.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

To also chime in. It's been very beneficial for me to watch good players play. I think the "Mad for Trad" DVD and the LE McCullough DVD or video are great. Great tunes and ornaments are explained and shown. I've learned my first 20 songs with ornaments from these two instruction DVD's.
Character is the ability to carry out the
commitment long after the mood is gone.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Some whistle-specific recordings that may be near the top of many serious whistlers' lists:

Mary Bergin - Feadóga Stáin 1
Mary Bergin - Feadóga Stáin 2
Brian Hughes - Whistle Stop
Cormac Breatnach - Music for Whistle & Guitar
Cormac Breatnach - Musical Journey
Micho Russell - Traditional Country Music
Micho Russell - The Man from Clare
Joanie Madden - Song of the Irish Whistle 1
Joanie Madden - Song of the Irish Whistle 2
Joanie Madden - Whistle On The Wind

There, that's 10 of them!
Last edited by MTGuru on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rh

Post by rh »

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Carmel Gunning's "The Sligo Maid" whistle CD

http://www.cygo.ie/tradmusic/

Track listing:

http://www.cygo.ie/tradmusic/cdtracks.htm

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

emmdee wrote:If I might venture an opinion, speaking from my own experience, I'd say that you can learn tunes from any solo cd by a performer on ANY instrument, or even a solo lead melody with guitar backing or similar. I've learned tunes from Tommy Peoples, Noel Hill, Paul Brock, Kevin Rowsome, Matt Molloy, etc. This approach has the added benefit that you pick up stylistic aspects of the same tunes played on different instruments.
m.d.
I agree completely. If you want to play only Irish music, play along with Irish music, but I think playing along with any instrumental recording is fun and beneficial. It gives you you a chance to explore other types of music and pick up different styles. Whistle still sounds just as good outside of ITM. I read in an interview that Brian Finnegan developed his style by playing along with jazz CD's.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Second that on the Brid O'Donohue CD--must have, must have, must have!
Buy it here: http://new.bridodonohue.com/

Susan
Last edited by susnfx on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

fiddle and guitar, all the trad tunes you could want.

Regular speed, then slowed down.

www.glencottagemusic.com

M
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

John Skelton's "A Few Tunes" and "A Few More Tunes".

Each CD contains about 45 tunes played at a moderate tempo with no accompaniment. Just John playing them on whistle and flute. They were designed originally as a reference for his students. Each comes with a booklet with music as well. They're fantastic for learning tunes by ear.

http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_Book_Skelton.html
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

Without this, I wouldn't have learned The Butterfly so soon.

www.tradlessons.com