should i get keys?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:I use the one on the side...

I never get anything right :oops:
Well, I don't know about your crowd, but mine would be good for it even if I stuck it in a back loop. Tossers....
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
KateG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

keys

Post by KateG »

I'll confess that I love having all eight keys. I love ITM, but there's a whole world out there waiting to be explored: classical, ragtime, old time.... I couldn't imagine giving up a single key, I use them all. And the low C & C# let me follow the fiddles down below the staff on occasions, which is fun. So I'd say go for it, and if you're gonna do it, go whole hog and get all 8. If you find the E flat key gets in your way, you can always rotate the foot joint, but you'll probably get used to it.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: keys

Post by hans »

KateG wrote:I'll confess that I love having all eight keys. I love ITM, but there's a whole world out there waiting to be explored: classical, ragtime, old time.... I couldn't imagine giving up a single key, I use them all. And the low C & C# let me follow the fiddles down below the staff on occasions, which is fun. So I'd say go for it, and if you're gonna do it, go whole hog and get all 8. If you find the E flat key gets in your way, you can always rotate the foot joint, but you'll probably get used to it.
I totally agree with you Kate. And there is Scottish trad and early Scottish, English, Israeli and all kinds of wonderful Balkan dance music to explore, apart from a lot of Irish airs not in D and G. So get the full ship if you can afford it, and pester the maker to make it as ergonomic for you as he can. Especially the G# key is traditionally very poorly designed on wooden flutes from English traditional design, and hard to use.

~Hans
Cork

Post by Cork »

Nanohedron wrote:I love my keys. I even use them. But the indisputable argument in favor of them is that they keep your flute from rolling off of the table.
Honestly, when I read this I managed to wet the screen in front of me with a bit of the tea I am drinking. LOL!!

Let me admit, that I have feet in at least two camps. For instance, to my right is a modern, keyless Irish flute, with a medium sized embouchure, and to my left is a Boehm flute.

Maybe there was a time when the sun came up in the East, set in the West, and the world was happy without keyed flutes.

Go for the Keys!!
Cork

Post by Cork »

BTW, rh, if you do go for the keys, and then find yourself in a chromatic world, you may want to have a good book of scalar practise.

To that end, the work of Taffanel and Gaubert (of the French school) has been THE reference of Boehm system players, for many, many years.

However, a few years ago I got a copy of Exercices (yes, that is the spelling), by Fernand Gillet, which, frankly, leaves the other text in the dust. ISBN: 0971700419

I got my copy at Falls House Press.

http://www.fallshousepress.com

The news gets better, moreover, as the principles employed in the text are virtually universal, and could be applied to just about any chromatic instrument, a GREAT text!!
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Keys. Oh yeah. It's astounding how many people like to play in F, Bb, and A. I tend to work around the lowest 2 semitones (clanky pewter and shoddy embouchure) so a 6-key seems perfect to me. Actually, a 7-key with a long Bb would rock, but I'm just dreaming.

My old 4-key kept me entertained for quite a while til I got a decent 8-key.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cork wrote:BTW, rh, if you do go for the keys, and then find yourself in a chromatic world, you may want to have a good book of scalar practise.

To that end, the work of Taffanel and Gaubert (of the French school) has been THE reference of Boehm system players, for many, many years.

However, a few years ago I got a copy of Exercices (yes, that is the spelling), by Fernand Gillet, which, frankly, leaves the other text in the dust. ISBN: 0971700419

I got my copy at Falls House Press.

http://www.fallshousepress.com

The news gets better, moreover, as the principles employed in the text are virtually universal, and could be applied to just about any chromatic instrument, a GREAT text!!
Cork, we need to clarify, here. Going for keys doesn't necessarily mean going Boehm. My flute, a trad timber flute, is "keyed" but still simple-system; IOW the base diatonic scale is still unkeyed; the keys are for c, Bb, G#, Fnat (2 o' dem puppies), Eb, C#, and Cnat. In this forum there's a tendency to presuppose simple-system flutes, actually, whether keyed or unkeyed, as that specialty item of the Western flute world has been the thrust, here, from the start.

Not being a Boehm player, if I remember my hearsay correctly, Boehm fingerings have some real differences from keyed simple-system, and so a Boehm instructional wouldn't be of much help except to a Boehm player. But your recommendations are helpful to those here who are, of course, and thanks.

But correct me if I'm mistaken. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

From an Irish Trad perspective you are correct.

Now if you want to play in Eb on a keyed "Irish" "D" flute these exersizes will give you a workout.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

yes, you can play some really neat tunes with keys (Tom Mcelvogue's compositions etc.) and the keys have saved my flute from jumping to its death from a table. I hate it when you have a suicidal flute....
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Other than slight additional cost (which can be recovered on resale if you don't like them), nominally extra weight, and slightly more maintenance is there any reason not to get keys?

I say get them if you want them.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

they make finger twirls difficult...

'course that conical thing is no help either

do keep at least one Tipple
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

So who's paying to get keys put on my Hamilton for me? Cuz I need them. :D
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:Other than slight additional cost...
I suppose it depends on what you call "slight". $65 USD a pop isn't unusual. Factor that by six, and...

The low C#/Cnat combo alone cost me $350, if memory serves.

Of course, those are Noy prices. Some may charge less. But I think it was worth it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

$65 a key would be a great deal! The makers I've talked to have been in the $100 plus range for each key...so that slight cost may be more significant than you think.

Eric
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, my bad. Just checked Noy's site, and it's $250 per key. That sounds right. "C foot with interlocking C, C#, separate $1,400"...I don't recall that, but maybe the shock induced some amnesia on my part. I presume the Eb is assumed there. "Keys, low C, C#, each $500"...I presume that would be just one without the other, but I don't see the point of it.

Might be his rates for the functioning C foot have gone up...it's been 3 years since I first placed my order.

I'm guessing that the $65 figure I came up with comes from checking out pipemaker prices. For as expensive as sets are, the keywork can be mercifully inexpensive by comparison to flutes. $75 per key isn't unusual as I recall.

Noy's prices are comparatively high, but the quality's high, too, and I only waited about a year. "Good, fast, cheap: pick two."